What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are there any downsides to fast strains?

King Bloom

Are there any cons to growing the newer FAST strains that are not autos but flower shorter, like 6-7 weeks? Is the bud just as potent and aromatic?

Would there ever be an advantage to growing say plain Amnesia instead of Amnesia FAST from Seedsman, etc.?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If they breed for speed, they're not breeding for potency. Having said that, I've yet to smoke anything that wasn't good in a joint. But I'm a lightweight so...

The only time I go for potency is when I grow with the intention to wheel it.

Lrus007

Veteran
i have found the fast budding plants are
slow to grow. so do not make a crop faster.
Lrus007

thejact55

I have a hard time buying into a 6-7 week strain, at least when seeds are the source. Id bet half of them go 8 weeks or up...eventually i would think youd have to run and take clones from those who are faster. No comment on quality, i cant say.
I figure another week or two or three of waiting isnt really that long, and the doors it opens for different types is vast. (Unless your trying to pound out production, i understand)
Hype and half truths are what i gather from 6-7 week strain, in my probably very biased opinion lol.
If you do run them, keep us posted. Doesnt mean im not interested. and Im ok with being wrong, if i am indeed wrong.

Sign

Fast strains are the f1 version of strain x crossed with an auto flower right? Knocks 1-2 weeks off the total time?

making your own f1 hybrid with an auto is deffinately helpful in shortening flowering times.
doing this yourself allows you to select plants that meet your own personal needs.

the same can be said in making crosses with mold resistant strains to aid in outdoor growability

WelderDan

Veteran
Fast flowering strains tend to be Indica, or heavy Indica leaning. Your options are few if you want heady Sativa effects fast. C99 & C99 hybrids is probably the only "fast" strain that has a heavy Sativa effect.

Good things come to those who wait, be they Indica or Sativa

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't had a fast flowering variety yet that was worth the effort put in to grow it.
Sweet Tooth #3 was the fastest plant I've grown and was finished in about 49-55 days. It was weak sauce compared to everything else I've ever grown, including Diesel Ryder.

Most, if not all, have very short legs and they typically aren't high up in the potency department.

Most fast seeds are basically false advertising as well. While you might get one plant from a pack that finishes fast most will probably go 8-10 weeks or beyond.

Tyco's post is spot on as well.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
making your own f1 hybrid with an auto is deffinately helpful in shortening flowering times.
doing this yourself allows you to select plants that meet your own personal needs.

the same can be said in making crosses with mold resistant strains to aid in outdoor growability

You didn't shorten flower times, you added a photo-period flowering schedule to your auto making it a photo finisher.
:tiphat:

hahaha that is a joke not many will get and a point i have thought on, showing the irony in labeling something dominant or recessive when these two traits act in a recipricolly equal manner when the traits combined are described as co dominant. an equally ironic moniker, showing how these thoughts can be quantified in spoken language, which can be confusing, sometimes in a disadvantage to unspoken thought.

something i have been trying to understand for a while now is epistasis, the phenomenon where the effect of one gene is dependent on the presence of one or more 'modifier genes'

i think now i finally understand that, we are referring to a form of epistasis when we speak about the relationship auto traits and photo traits share when expressed simultaneously in the same plant and is a more appropriate term than co-dominant

i declare these traits exist in a state of epistasis because these traits are equal and are neither dominant nor recessive to eachother when compared respectively and when expressed simultaneously

Last edited:

Carraxe

Veteran
Faster strains tend to produce less, the most productive 8-weeker strain will never produce as much as the most productive 11 weeker. And faster cannabis usually require a longer vegetative than slower strains.

Dankwolf

Are there any cons to growing the newer FAST strains that are not autos but flower shorter, like 6-7 weeks? Is the bud just as potent and aromatic?

Would there ever be an advantage to growing say plain Amnesia instead of Amnesia FAST from Seedsman, etc.?

Fast strans in general suck . hemp grows in many states ditchs and it don't sell , unless you plan to make bracelets stick to real strians anything pre 2000 is worth looking into .

I know tgis will piss many off but I remember and still smoke shut that keeps you baked for more then a hour or hour and a half . the new fast strians are just that . they don't call the the new dank strians . the fact that they advertise fast says it all . if it was good you would know , be Cargill of creative advertising as well some like me just call it a lie . but I tend to call it just like it is :tiphat:

Robney

I had a afghan kush from Next Gen that would finish in 50 days

picture.php

picture.php

Taste was sweet and earthy, with a really happy, pleasant high that would last about 2 hours. When I first popped her from seed she was crazy slow in veg, but after cloning her, she seemed to do a bit faster in veg.

This Northern Lights from Sensi White Label finished in 50 too

picture.php

picture.php

Very slow in veg, had almost no smell when flowering, but had a nice vanilla-y kinda sweetness when smoked. High was zoned out, lasted an hour or so, not really what I'm looking for so I tossed it. Had another pheno that finished in 70 so know there is some variation in there.

I think the only downside to fast strains is you really need to research them to find which ones are even worth it. And test them out as pheno variation can be all over the place with some. I'm certainly bummed I didn't keep a cut of the Afghan around, but oh well, we all have those stories like that.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fast strans in general suck . hemp grows in many states ditchs and it don't sell , unless you plan to make bracelets stick to real strians anything pre 2000 is worth looking into .

I know tgis will piss many off but I remember and still smoke shut that keeps you baked for more then a hour or hour and a half . the new fast strians are just that . they don't call the the new dank strians . the fact that they advertise fast says it all . if it was good you would know , be Cargill of creative advertising as well some like me just call it a lie . but I tend to call it just like it is :tiphat:

What are some of the strains you like then? I have some C99( one of the quickest to flower) going and few say it is weak or short legs to the high. Never had it before so no idea.

Dankwolf

I have some Original Glue where some tops are ready at 6.

Not a fan of glue at all . if you want a fast strian it would be one of my first recommendation. But the high is limited to 45 min to 115 min . yeiled is good veg is slow . I expect 1.5-2 inch a day indoor for veg and 2-2.5 inch a day fpr flower at the least . most 11 week flower strains can accomplish this .:tiphat:

Dankwolf

What are some of the strains you like then? I have some C99( one of the quickest to flower) going and few say it is weak or short legs to the high. Never had it before so no idea.

Sage
Domnia
Cotton candy
Blue mystic
Bluberry x any sativa
Critical mass
Hawaiian
Skunk. (pre sweet skunk cause it what haze )
hash plant
Akron bud / snow ( it was unbelievable one of the best ever fast in flower as well )
Mtf ( north cut. The valley version)
Trinty
The real lime green skunk ( good luck)

For early strains. I would go

Norther light 5( not 9 or 1)
Any afgahnie
Mk ultra
Pure blueberry
Akron / snow
Original Purple kush
Alaskan thunder fuck. ( south cut )
Hash plant

There are many more but thats the best I can do off the head in a min or 2 . :tiphat: