What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does Chocolope really Taste & Smell like Chocolate ?

Tom Hill

Veteran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7fCQlUhj0

--------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UENGjijz9O8

There was chocolate thai,,,, it grew with a distinct citrus heavy terpene profile. after all of that citrussy crap oxidized (many, many months), what was left was this spicy chocolatey goodness. I can almost guarantee DNA never waited that long to experience underlying more persistent trpene profiles,, this is something that takes patience and has it never ime been the profile out of the gate but something reveled only through patience.

These are the guys who caused Gypsy to throw copies of cannabis botany at them for not having the common sense to omit saying they had something before the minimum amount of time required to have it elapsed,,, naw man,, refer to the above links.. hell to the no..

Guava

Gawd, I really liked that stuff. Been over 30 years since I seen that stuff around so Cal. Tom, do you have access to those genetics?

Tom Hill

Veteran
it was the last of the good thai and i am super familiar with it i lived in the south bay of la at the time it was coming in through long beach harbor in mass.

,,,and it had seeds the size of beach balls,, yes,, i grew plenty of it in my time..

never really met any other plant that could be construed as chocolate..

it did not come in stick form thailand was over that by then,,, it came in what looked like cow patties at about 1800 bucks a pound off the boat in the early 80's and rivaled and drove the price of a simultaneous hash plant scene that was developing up in northern california at the time... that shit had you pacing back n forth tryna remember what you were looking for then remembered it was your keys then u found them in your hand the whole time then you laughed at yourself then you ate and ate until your gut burst then you ate some more then retired crashed the fuck out for the rest of the day from all the excitement. it was not morning smoke :) that was some good fucking grass.

I am glad somebody else remembers it because we will never have it again,, what we'll have is folk trying to take advantage of it's memory is all. This thread is about the great infamous C99 scandal if i am not mistaken. I wish i still had the chocko, sniffle... A friend says he still has seed but the genetics would need be revived on cellular levels as the seeds will no longer sprout in the traditional manner.

soopy

Veteran
A friend says he still has seed but the genetics would need be revived on cellular levels as the seeds will no longer sprout in the traditional manner.

Embryo recovery? Just throwing it out there, way outta my league, lol...

-tempa-

I had a pheno that had a Mellon hint to it no chocolate but the keeper melon pheno was beautiful

Ready4

Veteran
If you want to get that old school Chocolate taste, then you have to run it outdoors long. The Old Chocolate Thai was all grown outdoors.
A friend grew it last year outdoors , it was phenomenal. dried to a brownish gold purplish color. He has been growing outdoors for about 25 years, knows his stuff. he was thrilled- haad taht rich taste and sent you soaring.

Super great strain, excellent C-99 cross, 75 days just awesome.

Guava

it was the last of the good thai and i am super familiar with it i lived in the south bay of la at the time it was coming in through long beach harbor in mass.

,,,and it had seeds the size of beach balls,, yes,, i grew plenty of it in my time..

That's interesting. I don't remember them being large as much as being all black.

never really met any other plant that could be construed as chocolate..

It was one of a kind and one of, if not my all time favorite.

it did not come in stick form thailand was over that by then,,, it came in what looked like cow patties at about 1800 bucks a pound off the boat in the early 80's and rivaled and drove the price of a simultaneous hash plant scene that was developing up in northern california at the time... that shit had you pacing back n forth tryna remember what you were looking for then remembered it was your keys then u found them in your hand the whole time then you laughed at yourself then you ate and ate until your gut burst then you ate some more then retired crashed the fuck out for the rest of the day from all the excitement. it was not morning smoke :) that was some good fucking grass.

HaHa! YES! Yes, it sure was some good fucking grass. Up, powerful, trippy and dreamy at the same time. A real roller coaster. Sticky, the stuff never seemed to dry out or crumble apart; you had to tear a piece off, not snap it. I know it was bricked, but this stuff was just different. And of course that unique aroma and flavor

I am glad somebody else remembers it because we will never have it again,, what we'll have is folk trying to take advantage of it's memory is all. This thread is about the great infamous C99 scandal if i am not mistaken. I wish i still had the chocko, sniffle... A friend says he still has seed but the genetics would need be revived on cellular levels as the seeds will no longer sprout in the traditional manner.

Wow. I was truly not expecting to here that. I remember how unique and good that stuff was and just figured someone somewhere was holding on (stories of it being finicky, low yielding, hermaphrodite, long flowering...) Well then, is it expensive to revive seeds at the cellular level? I'd contribute to that cause.:)

Tom, thanks for sharing your memories of the CT. I've tried to start some threads on it but it never really goes anywhere. Read a few posts of people in the know that always brings a smile to my face. Apparently (from posts I've read), the east coast saw the stuff in the 90's? Last time I saw it around here, and I live VERY close to where you were living then, was around 84'. It seems like a lot of GOOD imported bud stopped coming in around that time . Yep, I started smokin in 81'. I was weened on Chocolate Thai and Road kill Skunk. HAha!:biggrin:

R

rastafari80

maybe I'm OT, anyway my chocolate mint by hso is miles away from both names taste and smell.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
A good friend gifted me a single chocolope fem seed and what a gift that was!

I musta gotten ultra lucky, because my pheno is straight chocolate smell with hints of mud. The flavor translates to a chocolate protein bar that was wrapped on a oil rag from the auto shop... Produces small tiny nuggets that are ultra frosty and the stretch is a good 4x... goes 10 weeks but can be harvested at 9 weeks...

The best part is the effects. TomHill's description seems spot on! One of the best herbs I have tried and cultivated. I'm running her for the 2nd time now and man she doesnt dissapoint! Cant wait to blaze it up!

It's almost impossible to find chocolope seeds nowadays. After finding this pheno I made sure to search everywhere and scoop me another pack, was real hard to find but I lucked out. From what I heard the chocolate pheno comes around 1 out of 25 times... not sure how accurate that is, but I guess sometimes U just need 1 seed and a bit of luck!

I plan on reversing this plant and making some S1's for preservation as well as crossing to some nice males!

Here some shots of my pheno!

This run, on a 7 gallon pot @ week 5

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

1st run, definitely not the best run, was far from the lights the whole time and stretched quite a bit

picture.php

@ harvest on end of week 8
picture.php

clearheaded

large yeilding fast sativa, however had the melon c99 aka cannalope pheno. maybe touch of the sour notes of cocoa but not chocolate. There was rumors the chocolope circulating ~2016 in BC was sprayed with flavorings it was so chocolaty subsequently has left the market for the most part. had been tested i am sure at a few dispenseries with no real evidence was tainted. that being said there could be a very choco chip pheno. I have never had a chocolate thai so cannot compare.

buddha. impossible to find chocolope seeds?? they are produced en mass and MANY bulk seed banks sell chocolope sometimes renamed. aswell as from DNA aswell is available. maybe u are thinking of chocolate trip??

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
large yeilding fast sativa, however had the melon c99 aka cannalope pheno. maybe touch of the sour notes of cocoa but not chocolate. There was rumors the chocolope circulating ~2016 in BC was sprayed with flavorings it was so chocolaty subsequently has left the market for the most part. had been tested i am sure at a few dispenseries with no real evidence was tainted. that being said there could be a very choco chip pheno. I have never had a chocolate thai so cannot compare.

buddha. impossible to find chocolope seeds?? they are produced en mass and MANY bulk seed banks sell chocolope sometimes renamed. aswell as from DNA aswell is available. maybe u are thinking of chocolate trip??

Yes, the c99 pheno seems to be the dominant one, everyone seems to get that one... I only came across 1 other person on the internet with similar pheno as mine... and man it's straight chocolate, loud as fuck too... I never imagined that herb actually could smell and taste like chocolate till I found this plant, the high is the best part tho...

regarding the seeds... maybe you can find it through another seed banks as diferent names. I know there is a chocolate haze out there which is suppose to be same genetics, not sure if just an s1 of a chocolope plant or actually the same genetic lineup.

the dna packs of chocolope, oh well, point me towards a seedbank that still has in stock... I wasnt able to find it anywhere, just a noname seedbank in maine that had a few packs, for pretty cheap too, I think it was $60 for the 6 pack...

If you guys can get your hands in some chocolope I would def do so and look for the chocolate thai pheno, I havent grown the another phenos, but I have grown c99 and my pheno has 0% c99 in it...

thanks for sharing your experience! :tiphat:

clearheaded

blimburn royal queen and every other seed bank that just buys the bulk seeds and re labels.

ur right tho chocolope from dna is sold out.. crazy.

I wouldnt be surprised if g13 seeds choco var is actually chocolope. say its cannalope haze X afgan buut ya know seems sorta weird and may of just said that so doesnt step on DNAs toes as was more common in the past. clever wording with wink and a nudge.

visions seeds sells chocolopeXthai sativa apparently more chocolatey suppose bx to a chocolate thai ;)

here are some AKAs of chocolope .

Chocolute F2
Chocolope x Chocolope

White Choco
White Russian x Chocolope

Chocoheaven
Thaifun Horizon x Chocolope

Barbalope
Chocolope

Chocolope Musk
Chocolope x True Blueberry

Chocolopez
Chocolope

Chocolate Cookies
Chocolope x OG Kush

Auto Cocopopo
Chocolope x Unknown Ruderalis

Cocopopo
Chocolope

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
What’s the no name seedbank in Maine callled?was chocolope ordered as m/f seeds at one time?

Maine Clone Services or something like that, I'm not so sure to be honest... it was a 6pack fem...

Clearheaded, Yeah I'm aware of all the copy's of chocolope out there, but do they compare to the original? I actually got a pack of the Royal Queen Chocolate Haze, but I havent popped any seed, might just give a try to see what comes out and how it compares... From what I've researched the c99 pheno is the dominant, not surprised, since c99 turns everything into c99 lol... U have any experience with any of those? Can you find a legit Chocolate thai pheno in there?

Im aware c99 is a nice plant, but I doubt it can compare to the choco thai... This thing is just ultra special IMO, no wonder it gets such a reputation from the old heads! I think the only thing from c99 i got in my pheno is the finishing time, which is awesome. I'm at day 45 right now and it seems that they should be ready in 10 days... we shall see tho! 55 days for a great sativa that tastes like chocolate and veg's like a monster.... its such an special plant! Last time I harvested on day 56 I think from seed, this time seems a bit quicker from clone and on a 15 gal organic soil.

I'm definitely gonna work out a line with my chocolope... got a few strains for male candidates, Sour D bx2 by karma and Pinneaple Fields by Dynasty on deck... but the goal is to keep the energetic uplifting high as the main focus, a little sour loudness added to it or a pineapple funk can't hurt either :laughing:

Just my 0.02 cents.

Railage

Yes, the c99 pheno seems to be the dominant one, everyone seems to get that one... I only came across 1 other person on the internet with similar pheno as mine... and man it's straight chocolate, loud as fuck too... I never imagined that herb actually could smell and taste like chocolate till I found this plant, the high is the best part tho...

regarding the seeds... maybe you can find it through another seed banks as diferent names. I know there is a chocolate haze out there which is suppose to be same genetics, not sure if just an s1 of a chocolope plant or actually the same genetic lineup.

the dna packs of chocolope, oh well, point me towards a seedbank that still has in stock... I wasnt able to find it anywhere, just a noname seedbank in maine that had a few packs, for pretty cheap too, I think it was $60 for the 6 pack...

If you guys can get your hands in some chocolope I would def do so and look for the chocolate thai pheno, I havent grown the another phenos, but I have grown c99 and my pheno has 0% c99 in it...

thanks for sharing your experience! :tiphat:

GYO says it has DNA Genetics regs and fems.

Got me wigged out cause that is the only place I have seen it.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
i've got some chocolope right now. 2 different batches. i buy it a lot at the dispensary, in fact cause i love it.

so as for the chocolate smell... might have once or twice smelled a vague hint of something that had chocolate notes, but honestly not really. with that said, the smell is decent, and i like the high a lot.

*edit*

just compared the two, they each have a vague hint of that bubba kush coffee smell in the background, but moreso it's a subtle and fruity smell (like how c99, and space queen are grassy and fruity and flowery, to my nose... i think it's terpinolene maybe). i guess i can see someone detecting chocolate in there, but it's not obvious.

one is spicier than the other, almost incensy but maybe closer to the hint of spiciness that's in the gsc/ og kush/ sour d/ chem side of smells, so maybe caryophyllene or humulene?

Last edited:

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
i've got some chocolope right now. 2 different batches. i buy it a lot at the dispensary, in fact cause i love it.

so as for the chocolate smell... might have once or twice smelled a vague hint of something that had chocolate notes, but honestly not really. with that said, the smell is decent, and i like the high a lot.

*edit*

just compared the two, they each have a vague hint of that bubba kush coffee smell in the background, but moreso it's a subtle and fruity smell (like how c99, and space queen are grassy and fruity and flowery, to my nose... i think it's terpinolene maybe). i guess i can see someone detecting chocolate in there, but it's not obvious.

one is spicier than the other, almost incensy but maybe closer to the hint of spiciness that's in the gsc/ og kush/ sour d/ chem side of smells, so maybe caryophyllene or humulene?

definitely the c99 pheno... mine is 0 fruityness to it, mostly chocolate protein bar, peat moss, mud and few coffee hints...no fruit at all! it's the most unique smoke I ever had smell/taste wise.

I bet the high is similar tho, cuz people really enjoy most phenos! c99 has a similar type of effects!

Latest posts

Latest posts