What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does Chocolope really Taste & Smell like Chocolate ?

homero

Señor Member
Veteran
I grew up the choco several times ... and I've never found a chocolatey pheno ... I found the chocolate in the DJ's cocoa kush :)

I also experienced 1 Deep Chunk having bitter chocolate smell
Deep Chunk has a pheno that has chocolate but more bitter chocolate then sweet just like you described. It is really unique smell.

Is this the #8?
Yep :)
"sweet smelling buds that have a melon taste." The structure of the plate leaf in this pheno; Win.
Perfect example of Cannalope Haze pheno. "makes her a great strain to breed." Quotes from CH strain desc.

attachment.php

Attachments

• CIMG0586.jpg
    CIMG0586.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

there goes edro

Veteran
Chocolate Rain

Chocolate Rain

picture.php

Ran CR looking for some chocolate flavored buds myself. Out of 5 seeds had 2 ladies. One pictured had more of a fruity taste. My other CR girl tasted like evergreen gum but no chocolate. Still got 5 seeds left maybe a find a chocolate pheno. If anyone has a recommendation on a mostly Indica strain that I could easily find a chocolate tasting pheno I'm all ears#!!!

Bmac1

Veteran
The chocolope I had was pungent rip cantaloupe on the smell and taste. Super finicky with the nutes.

C

corygreen

The new Chocolate

The new Chocolate

I post this thread because everyone remembers old school chocolate thai and everyone clam to have legit chocolate thai but it's been teaked, trained, coached ,or something but its off it's not quite right i think it's time for a strain thats just chocolate fast flowering chocolate taste and smell besides the other offerings, you have a blue berry hunt every time you turn around, why not chocolate i think it's something worth looking into a dark fuzzy sweet smelling and tasting chocolate... :woohoo:

C

corygreen

it should not be to hard with all these chocolate mixes to make a fast flowering big yelder that lives up to the name, excuse me for babbling on, I been doing alot of reading about chocolate and in my opinion it seems like the taste is off or DF saying it was early water... to me they along with others have three four or five different phenos or totally different plants or is chocolate like DJ blueberry and has to crossed to bring the cream back to the top make me wonder with plants and smells and how could it when and what period of a plant life where it can pick up and mimick smells and taste it seems to me if DF choco smells more like vanilla and peanut butter DNA smells more like choco and taste similar as well as some of DJ stuff well most his stuff so it seems if DJ did'nt no what it really was but worked it into his plants unless somebody else has the real mecoy DJ plants is the only direction to go, or we just have to start raising plants next to chocolate again to get what were looking for

psyphish

Veteran
I grew a G13 Labs Chocolate Heaven, it had a unique smell, in flower it smelled kind of like chicken stock cubes, but after curing it had a pleasant smell that I could only describe as chocolatey.

It wasn't a very potent strain, definitely mostly a head high. It's the only strain I've grown twice even though it wasn't potent.

C

corygreen

I think it's qutie possible for a canibis plant to take on smells from plants cleaners other flowers, because certain famos strains pick up smells from plants they were raised around like strawberry cough, orange velvet and a couple others, could it be possible there is a certain overlooked stage when we can purposely maniplate smells and taste of these plants if so it could explain chocolate thai and every other unique tasting and smelling strain, any one else ever ponder upon a similar theory

C

corygreen

that choco heaven looks awesome I'm looking forward to testing some cocoa puffs some time in the near future all these coco mixes but only one will rule them all lol

S

sourpuss

Pck hints of chocolate.

Chocolate thai.... was some good shit... psychadelic and euphoric. Long buzz.... had some really memorable times with the chocolate thai from the jamaicans in T.O. talkin 97ish.... cant remember if it was seeded..... most likely was....

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Before Chocolope became the rage here in So Cali (about 8-10 years ago) I had several "phenos" that produced some killer flowers that smelled super melon like...very "syrupy" sweet. One of the phenos "bifurcated" naturally (single branch would split into two or more branches without assistance) and if you ran her real long (I mean real long--like 100 days flower), she would produce flowers that smelled, and tasted exactly like Hershey Kisses.

So yes, I grew Chocolope that produced flowers that was definitely chocolate-like in both aroma and taste.

AlessOnFire

I was wondering about chocolope's origins. Did a seedbank created it or is it from unknown origin which spreaded through cuts?

Thanks guys

sweet-emotion

Veteran
My Chocolope smelled and tasted like some fruit, no chocolate at all. One friend grew 2, and not a hint of chocolate, cocoa or whatever

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I was wondering about chocolope's origins. Did a seedbank created it or is it from unknown origin which spreaded through cuts?

Thanks guys

The Chocolope, which was originally named D-Line, is a growers dream plant. She is easy to grow, produces heavy nugs, large yields and is unique. This sativa dominant plant likes to grow tall but can be trained to grow out. For this cross we chose our OG Chocolate Thai female to cross to the Cannalope male. We then started backcrossing this to achieve a shorter flowering time and still retain some of the OG Chocolate Thai qualities. What makes her so special is that when you smoke her you taste that chocolate you've been missing from the 80's. This is the ONE! Not much haze, but you don't need it.

Hightimes Strain of the Year 2007
2nd Coffeeshop HT Cannabis Cup 2007
2nd Hydro Highlife Cup 2007
3rd Hollyweed Cup 2006
3rd Indoor Bio Spannabis 2008

Yield (indoor): 400 - 500 grams / m2
Flowering time (indoor): 8 - 10 weeks

With Chocolope, DNA Genetics continues their project of creating tasty short-flowering sativas and reviving the classic features of old school Thai stick. The strain's father, Cannalope, is a sativa line backcrossed for fast finishing. DNA refined this feature still further, then crossed a Cannalope male with an Original Chocolate Thai female. Tasting is believing: the result retains the special flavors and effects of the OG Chocolate Thai, and lives up to the nickname Chocolope in flavor as well as genetics. It brings back a chocolate edge that was more common among good weed of the 1980s, mixed with the fruity sweetness of the Cannalope.

Chocolope is a branchy near-pure sativa that will take over your garden if you let her. This plant needs some space to spread out her long branches. Hydro, coco beds, NFT, it's all good: the Chocolope likes all mediums, although she remains untested outdoors.

DNA vegetates the Chocolope for 3-4 weeks and then forces flowering, preferring to raise fewer plants to larger sizes. Chocolope is a happy eater and can be pushed when it comes to nutrients, although DNA recommends sticking to the organics for the best quality. Using this combination of fewer but bigger plants and organic nutrients, DNA reports an average yield of 100 grams per plant. If you want to avoid a 3-4 week vegetative period and plant 20-25 plants per square meter in a more sea of green style, yields can reach 400-600 grams per square meter. On the whole, Chocolope is much easier to grow than her Chocolate Thai ancestors. "Give her love", says DNA, "and she will yield for you."

Chocolope still delivers traits many growers sought from the classic Thai strains - choco-smokey flavor and a dreamy high with a strong mental shift. If you are trying to alleviate anxiety, nervousness, or lack of appetite, the Chocolope is your strain. However, smokers who are sensitive to paranoia or psychedelic effects might approach this variety with caution. Even experienced smokers sometimes report unusually comic situations due to the "high school" like stone of the Chocolope. Some consider this advice a recommendation: the chocolatey 1980s high is a euphoric and trippy blast from the not-so-distant past that can spice up any weekend.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Chocolope is a very nice strain but the chocolate tasting pheno is quite rare, there is more Cannalope Haze tasting ones. I like the melon taste you got from Cannalope so I don't mind if I don't get a chocolate pheno. If you really want to find the chocolate taste I think you have to pop at least 15 seeds and select your favorite expression.

AlessOnFire

The Chocolope, which was originally named D-Line, is a growers dream plant. She is easy to grow, produces heavy nugs, large yields and is unique. This sativa dominant plant likes to grow tall but can be trained...

Thanks, it looks like you copypasted it from DNA. So, I have to guess they are the original breeder, isnt it?

Chocolope is a very nice strain but the chocolate tasting pheno is quite rare, there is more Cannalope Haze tasting ones. I like the melon taste you got from Cannalope so I don't mind if I don't get a chocolate pheno. If you really want to find the chocolate taste I think you have to pop at least 15 seeds and select your favorite expression.

Yeah, it's more or less like that with all strains, I was just curious because around here everybody has it but I couldn't find who was the original breeder or seed bank. Me personally never tried the choco pheno, it would be nice tho

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Yep, D-Line was the original Chocolope and if my memory serves me well, DNA was the first to offer it. But that was like a dozen years or so for me....hard to say who/what is out there now.

rykus

bumping this up! what strains are you guys finding the most chocolate flavor and are there any pics of grows of dna chocolope, haze man coco puffs or escobar's chocolate rain?