What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best tool for smoking shatter/wax? Cost doesn't matter

Is it a giant rig with a nice vector torch or is it something electric? Just saw something called an e-nail. I'd love to boner over something new. Fill me in on the new school shit.

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
E-nails are cool but I prefer them for solventless. I find a rig and torch works really well for my waxes and shatters.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Grab a Mobius Stereo Matrix and a Titanium nail and your good...

Personally using this setup exclusively for a few years now...

paperchaser825

The rig Krunch just posted + one of those electric titanium nails that come with the digital thermostat. Set the thermostat and dab till you drop.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Okay, I'm picking up this old thread, because there might be other old fart like me out that that have never tried shatter, and don't really know what it is.

I just want to know, is it something I can sprinkle on a joint, or put in a bowl on top of some flower? Can I smoke it like hash with a pin and a glass?

What do most people use? Seems like a nail and a butane torch, is that correct?

Any info appreciated, because I will be in a legal state in a couple months, and I definitely want to try shatter, wax, liquid concentrates, etc.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can smoke it in a joint or bowl on flower but it would melt off the pin.

A dab rig, torch and a few bits and bobs will set you back 200-300 easily. Chinese crap is good for starting out. You'll muck a few things up along the way, no point to my mind doing it with expensive glass or quartz.

Titanium is the easiest to learn on. Quartz is nice but fussy.

It just gets more complicated from there if you let it.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Thanks for your post, Mikell. I guess I won't be buying a dab rig- I can't even get shatter or wax where I live, so why drop 200-300 bucks.

Some of the pictures of shatter I have seen- WOW! Looks so yummy! Can't wait!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you've got a plumbing torch, you can pick up a rig with a glass nail for 80-ish (probably cheaper in the US). I spent about 100 when I started a few years ago. Propane burns hotter, you have to keep the flame tip further back than with butane.

Check out some live resin pictures. It is like a wet sugar and usually smells to high hell.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I was looking for another dab rig myself. However, my wish list is a little different.

No torch, no flame, no electrical plug, no coils.

Quartz bowl.

This doesn't leave much. LOL

I am using a Greenlitevapes G9 H-enail right now and it's pretty sweet. Battery life sux and I keep breaking quartz bowls. Falls over more than I did from '66 to '85 drunk every day. Mouth piece sux too.

The good news....This unit does not use coils. It has a ceramic rod that heats the bowl from the center. awesome clean hit every time.

I like a quartz banger second best but... no torch, no flame. Those are the rules.

Anything that is coil-less, battery operated (510 would be cool), easy to clean.......

Ringodoggie

Premium user
If you mean, like an e-cig vaporizer.... short answer, no. You need to mix it with an e-juice like vg, pg, terps, whatever.

Otherwise, a coil vape, nail, etc. Short answer, yes.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Thanks. I'm talking about a vaporizer that's designed for smoking solids, like flowers.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I'm not sure about that one. You could probably mix it in with some pot. But, then, what's the use in separating it in the first place. LOL

Oil/wax pens start out real cheap. I started there and worked my way up to better and better things, I think that's how most people figure out what they like best, in the end. ;)

Hydro8

I bought a $5. honey collector & a $5. torch, it takes a little practice but when you get a good hit it is nice.. Nicer then a e-nail IMO. It was a great and inexpensive way to get into dabs and try it out. If I used it more I would upgrade the torch to a more powerful one so I wouldn't have to wait long for the honey collector to heat up.

E-nails are much easier to use, it seems like the hit doesn't taste as nice as the honey collector. It might be in my head or I might not be using the e-nail to it's potential,IDK

I don't dab much I would rather vape flowers, but if I feel like going to space and seeing visuals from cannabis dabs will take me there.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Just get any old temperature-controlled box mod, like the e-cig style vapers use, and then order yourself a Saionara atomizer from Divine Tribe. When you are picking out which type of coil you want, decide whether you want to take huge rips or if you want to micro-dab. If huge rips, go for a triple coil. If you are a sipper, go for a single coil. And go with stainless steel, so that it can be temperature controlled. Then, set your box mod to around ~350-400 degrees F, at about 25 watts, and have at it.

Since I'm not into taking huge rips, I have never invested in a dab rig, nor do I feel the need to. The Saionara was like $35 or something, I don't remember. A 5-pack of coils was like $25 or so. Each coil lasts me about a week or two before needing to clean it, and then I can soak it in isopropyl alcohol for a night, dry fire it to clean it, and get another use or two out of it before feeling like I should just trash it and pull out a fresh one.

The box mod I use is an E-leaf iStick Pico.

Bobby Boucher

Personally hate smoking dab out of anything without temp control. Especially nectar collectors. They char up and drip out reclaim that has been heated up over and over and over, often times onto a hot nail while you are already inhaling. Did it for years. Inconsistent af. Tastes like burrning.

Latest posts

Latest posts