What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simple tips to grow excellent cannabis

prince kali

I hope you're joking. cause if you're not. thats a completely false statement. I've found organics build up just as much, if not more salts than hydro/coco nutrients.

very interesting, i would like to know which organic fertilisers (soil amendments) you have used there.
personally (out of my experience) i doubt that.

plus you have to remember that the act of flushing is forcing the plant to use the remaining nutrients stored in the cells and rootsystem/medium. giving the plant pure water for a period of time at the end of flowering allows all of the nutrients to be used by the plant. this why a properly flushed plant will have mostly yellow leaves at the end of flowering.

notice: flushing is not the same as just giving them plain water, what is very important in the last 2-3 weeks.. noone should harvest green plants!
flushing means to rinse the root system with 3 times or more the amount of pot size, its more like a shower to the roots.
in a real organic grow NOT NECESSARY or even useful..

about your language.. ok, maybe i am not man enough for your language or style :chin: .. anyways,
good thread! keep it up!
peace

D

dramamine

My tip: avoid bringing stuff from around your yard into your growroom...even organic growers don't want to mimic nature when it comes to bugs:D

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
Let me clarify: This is how I grow indoors. It IS simple, and it DOES produce. I also give my plants outdoor time when I'm home on nice days.

interesting... well I'm sure you're a very experienced gardener, and that's why it works well for you. however I feel like that method may be better suited for outdoor beginners, than indoors.

the old saying is "soil is more forgiving" it definitely isn't if you put all of your amendments and nutrients in and then just use plain water. that makes it much harder to fix any problems. once you have a technique and mixture dialed in, I can see this being a good method. but as far as simple for beginner indoor growers, in theory, yes, in practice, possibly a headache.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
also as far as using the largest pots possible for your space. again, indoors thats not necessarily the simple or most effective thing to do.

Over my years of growing I have found that I yield far more in smaller pots with rootbound plants that are properly fed than in bigger pots where the roots are drowning in soil. the root system gets lazy if it doesn't have to search out nutrients. I've found this happens when there is too much space in the pot for the size of the root system.

using my methods now I easily pull 3-4 oz from a 3 gallon pot, when I was a beginner I would yield about the same in 7-10 gallon pots. the roots would never fill out the pot even though the plants were 4-5 feet tall. so the flowers never developed up to potential.

L

lloy

My 2 pennys . keep it simple stupid. lol on another note with feeding a little can go a long way. And for repotting alfalfa meal ensures a speedy recovery.

Rastatrue

How would one flush a plant growing outdoor in the dirt as nature has done since long before we started poking our fingers into the process? I think China would be pissed if I ran enough water through the ground to flush my plants.
I think China would thank you for the water. don't it rain outdoors? I can't think of a more natural flush than that.

ijim

I love it when I get to taste others grow. I will go all day without a toke so my taste buds are sharp and my head clear. Well except for those strange voices. My favorite saying is there is a hundred ways to wipe your ass. The same is true on just digging a hole or hanging a lamp. Man that shit taste good floats my boat. I shake my head when someone talks fruity zesty peppery taste. I like my buds a bit fluffy and airy. Great for screening hash and rolling joints. And I get concerned when people agree with me too much. I feel I am about to get screwed. It is good to know there are many ways to accomplish the same goal. When you put away your ego and learn all of them you can. That's when your life can hit cruise control.

cody2white

ghost in training
Veteran
Harvesting trick. Wear surgical gloves when trimming when there sticky stick them in the freezer. Hash peels right off

fabvariousk

Veteran
When growing indoors spend the money you would on fancy snake oil/fertilizers on more light and air movement/heat control.
If you have a source of fresh air at any ppm of co2 then moving it continuously through your space is better and cheaper than adding co2.

using my methods now I easily pull 3-4 oz from a 3 gallon pot, when I was a beginner I would yield about the same in 7-10 gallon pots. the roots would never fill out the pot even though the plants were 4-5 feet tall. so the flowers never developed up to potential.

would you be willing to admit that this could be a result of you maturing as a grower and fixing other issues, rather than the use of smaller pots? I'd be interested to see you use your new methods with a 7 gallon next to a group of your 3 gallon pots.

prince kali

@ ticklemyballs
hey... of course larger pots are easier to handle.. plants have less nute stress, roots have more space.. etc.
a rootbound plant is VERY SENSITIVE to handle as it hasnt got enough material left to stretch out its fine hair to absorb nutes..

if you are not perfectly dialed in with nutes a rootbound plant can be a real problem...

learn to work with existing and accepted definitions before you give advice to beginners. macho behaviour is not suitable when it comes to knowledge..

big pots make growing easier.. period.

soil margin

Veteran
Don't ever stop learning. Don't ever think you know everything. Don't ever think you're shit is the best on the planet cause someone out there always knows a little more than you do.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
would you be willing to admit that this could be a result of you maturing as a grower and fixing other issues, rather than the use of smaller pots? I'd be interested to see you use your new methods with a 7 gallon next to a group of your 3 gallon pots.

I actually rarely use 3 gallon pots anymore at all. generally all of my flowering plants are finished in 5-10 gallon pots. I was just giving an example of what I have experienced in using 3 gallon pots again. I used to keep my mom's in 2-3 gallon pots and would have a hard time getting lots of cuts off of them. now I keep most of them in less than 2 gallons and they are bigger and healthier and produce more cuts for me. Yes I need to water them almost every day and feed almost every watering. but they are much bigger and healthier than moms that I would put in 2 gallon pots before they were ready.

I recently pulled 32g from a platinum OG in a 1 gallon pot. it's all about feeding. I thought for sure I wouldn't get much from it, but it fattened up. the only difference I saw from flowering plants in bigger pots is that the platinum used up the N faster and yellowed up real nice by the end.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
simple tip for clean growers, and common courtesy tip for growers with bugs.

growers with bugs- please do not go straight from your mite infested room directly to the hydro store and walk around, especially near anything except pesticides. mite eggs can be transferred on your body and into the store and just wait on a bag of soil or bamboo stake or anything to hatch in someone else's room. Just change your cloths before you come, if you have long hair, take a shower. I've gotten mites at one location twice in the last 9 months from the same store, all of the clones provided to this location came from spots that have all remained clean the entire time.

Clean growers- do not keep anything you buy at the hydro store near your plants unless they are in sealed packaging with no where for eggs to stick to. both times I just had problems I tracked it down to a bag of soil or coco being left near a table or in a small room with plants.

also if you ever have a scare, even before you seen any bugs, do a preventative spray. I'm not an advocate of doing a preventative spray on every crop. just do if you think you may have been somewhere there were bugs, or brought a plant in with bugs on it.

sso

Veteran
if the roots didnt fill out the container properly, then you probably didnt water enough (watering till you get runoff.)

one Q

Quality
Veteran
here's a good tip that is easily forgotten...

Remember that NUTES are CHEAPER than your END PRODUCT. If you over dosed or are chasing pH with UP then DOWN then UP then DOWN... Just toss the entire jug. Best to start with a fresh batch and KNOW what's going on, than to have to troubleshoot later... you'll regret it.

Remember, a gallon of pre mixed nutes may be .30- $1... even at a 50g res that's only $50 or less... That's ONE EIGTH worth of weed... dont ruin a week or so of growth, or an entire grow, over this little amount.

Having said that, let me add; if your mixed gallon of nutes is $1 then you need to change lines.