What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor Vertical Grow Systems 101

2legit

Four plant tree garden(5 bulbs):
XOX
OXO
XOX

Im still a novice grower on a good day, but, If the O's are the bulbs and X's plants, the light's are covered on 3 sides by plants instead of the 2 if reversed; This, in theory, would maximize light coverage. Anyway, awsome thread!

whodair

Veteran
xxx
xox
xxx <<the plants in this row bathed in light !!
xox
xxx

o=430w hps

x=plants

bulbs are surrounded by plants on all sides !!!

whodair

Veteran
I know at a glance the huge tree light configuration seems a bit wasteful. But you can't argue with the figures people pull when they use that configuration. 1+GPW seems easy with trees set up like that. Also, you can run a flip flop with that light configuration and only burn half your bulbs at any one given time, actually saving quite a bit over running them all.
Most of the huge indoor tree grows I've seen use a variation on the checkerboard pattern, and it works. You would definitely want your walls to be mylar/reflectix covered to make the most of those outer bulbs. I guess what it comes down to with the trees, is that you are surrounding the plant with lights, not surrounding the lights with plants. Once you think of it that way it's easier to deal with.(pulling over a gram a watt can't hurt either)

right on !! or some sort of vert reflectors on the outside bulbs ??

i think another reason why verti yields better is lower temps...

the reflector above a bulb is a metal radiator that collects heat, ditch the reflector=lower temps with the same amount of light !!

Z

ZENARCADE

.......or if you have a few extra feet throw a couple of really small plants on the wasted side of that bulb....maybe test some new cuts or seedlings in 1 gals or something....

whodair

Veteran
.......or if you have a few extra feet throw a couple of really small plants on the wasted side of that bulb....maybe test some new cuts or seedlings in 1 gals or something....

funny you say that, i do test some of my own crosses from seed in one gal...usually almost directly under the bulb (next to the fan pointed up at the bulb) the lighting isnt the best there but it gets the job done !!!

D

DHF

Hey guys.......Whodair........MGT`s illustrations are time tested over the yrs , and though appearing to be redundant with all those lights on the walls and in the corners , I assure you they`re necessary for proper lumen penetration deep into the cores of the bigass plants in late flower for proper swellage and mimimal popcorn bullshit come harvey..........

The rule of thumb is to surround the plants with light , not surround the lights with plants........for big plants that is........

2legit......the O`s are plants and the X`s are lights in these drawings......the perfect garden that I ran for almost 10 yrs was a 10 x 10 room with the 5 lights in an "X" pattern and the 4 plants in a "diamond" pattern where each plant gets blasted from 3 sides and my walls and ceilings covered in refllectix took care of the rest........

Not sayin there`s not many ways ta skin a mule , but for big plants you need minimum 3 side lighting at all times....Heathie just grew a 4 3/4 lber flip floppin the lights every 2 hrs during lights on for the ultimate powerbill savings while using more light.....but.....he was usin buncha light........

50 watts per sq ft for decent nugs will help yas in your rooms......Heath ran a multiflow/ebb and flow bucket setup with all the plants surrounding the lights and it works......with smaller plants.......and 50 watts per sq ft minimum......

Prolly more like what you`re doin huh Whodair ?.....btw.....what size is that area with your 2 400`s.......

All in whatchas `re lookin for......Lotta small plants for the win , or 4 that`ll be huge .......You can grow more smaller plants in rotations a lot faster than big plants that take X amount of vegtime , so it`s a trade off.......decisions , decisions........

Ya`ll take care....DHF.......:ying:........

Last edited:

MyGreenToe

...the perfect garden that I grew for over 8 yrs was a 10 x 10 room with the 5 lights in an "X" pattern and the 4 plants in a "diamond" pattern where each plant gets blasted from 3 sides and my walls and ceilings covered in refllectix took care of the rest........

That's exactly what I'm building once I make my move in 6 months. How did that garden perform for you on average? What were your best performing strains in it? Did you use AC, or just pure ventilation? Any tips you can drop would be appreciated. I've scoured Heath's threads and asked him lots of questions, but there's a million ways to do the same thing, so every option is good to hear.

Thanks for sharing your experience mate.
MGT

D

DHF

Hey MGT.........I had a mexican skunk hybrid from my outdoor escapades back in the day that was a perfect specimen for indoor krusty buckets..........

Ran that bitch for over 8 yrs and never finished less than 10 lbs outta 4 plants in every room I had.........I have no clue what ta offer as advice strain related other than what Heathie`s busted the gpw`s with runnin big plants.......

Tweakin crackhead`s broke into one of my rental houses and stole all the appliances with my seedstock in the basement fridge a few yrs back and my shit`s gone forever.......

Long story but Heathie and couple more left coast Growbro`s hooked me back up with some winners and then a close bro got popped last summer and I`m shutdown for good.......bored and tryin ta help folks as best I can from all those yrs.......

Setup a wall banger window unit a/c MGT........2 ton/24000 btu`s with auto restart and thermostatically controlled......Use active intakes AND exhausts on plug in speed controllers and thermostats.......

Good sized dehuey will burn a lot of power , so if yas can get a Santa Fe unit that runs 1/2 the power and works harder then put it in the budget......

Over 8 yrs of krusty buckets.......5 yrs of ebb and flow buckets , and couple-3 yrs of Heath`s vertical racks with my upgrades/re-designs till shutdown........

Paid my dues.....retired and sittin at the beach stealin wi-fi from my neighbors and watchin the dawg bite the waves rollin in........

Shit could be worse.......Holler if I can help.......

Peace.....DHF.........:ying:.......

johnny butt

Seems like the difference is between grow styles... But ya know what... you're both right...

Tree grows with the X0 setup look to maximize the yield from a single plant. Low numbers, real good for med grows with number limits...

V-scrog grows and the type whodair is talking about look to maximize yield from each bulb. Real good for smaller growers with space and light limitations...

2 ways to skin a cat, but I'm cheap, so I get the most for a small amount of electricity... I wish I could afford to run 5 bulbs and 4 plants!

JB

MyGreenToe

Seems like the difference is between grow styles... But ya know what... you're both right...

Tree grows with the X0 setup look to maximize the yield from a single plant. Low numbers, real good for med grows with number limits...

V-scrog grows and the type whodair is talking about look to maximize yield from each bulb. Real good for smaller growers with space and light limitations...

2 ways to skin a cat, but I'm cheap, so I get the most for a small amount of electricity... I wish I could afford to run 5 bulbs and 4 plants!

JB

You're exactly right, which is why the Tree section contains a description of two ways of doing things. I'm going to edit it for some clarity though.
As far as electricity goes, I'm going to try the 4 plant 5 bulb configuration, but only burning 3 bulbs at any given time. The center bulb will stay lit, whilst the outer corners flip back and forth during the lights on cycle. We'll see how it works out. 1800 watts hurts less than 3000 watts when it's time to pay those first AC bills...

bobblehead

Veteran
What we do is a little different JButt. We're spreading our plants out and constantly training them. Our canopy isn't so dense that it needs penetration from multiple angles. I don't think that's so much the case with the out of control monsters some of these guys are growing... Maybe they should train their plants through some wire fencing... :D I wonder if the increased yield and bud quality would be worth it to the commercial guys.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Over 8 yrs of krusty buckets.......5 yrs of ebb and flow buckets , and couple-3 yrs of Heath`s vertical racks with my upgrades/re-designs till shutdown........

Paid my dues.....retired and sittin at the beach stealin wi-fi from my neighbors and watchin the dawg bite the waves rollin in........

hellllll yah..... you just made my day fred

B

Beerdo

I am looking into setting up a new room for a friend of mine. Room is roughly 10'L/8.5'w/6.5'h
From reading through this and other threads in this forum I think there is enough space to set up a stadium. the room is currently finishing its last dirt run with 2 10yo 1000w hps balasts. that have seen sevral owners and much abuse. So its time to trash nearly everything in there and upgrade.
Thinking to do stadium style with 3 or 4 600w in this space.
with(and here's where need some help) thinking hempy buckets.
Friend is interested to try anything other than dirt. Also after buying new lights and lumber/building supplies for revamp most of the budget is gone. so upgrading to a dwc is probably out of the question. Also was thinking of attaching cages or some kind of net to the hempy buckets to train them up/in along.
Sounds good right?
I am just kinda unsure if this is the right direction to go with this. It seems like it is.
Can someone help me with the numbers a lil here? if I wanna do a stadium that runs the whole 10ft length of the room how many 600w would I need to get good light coverage? With roughly 6.5ft height to work with how many rows of shelves would be most efficient? The size of the buckets would it be wise to get different sizes for the different shelves?
Probably 6wks away from buying any supplies for this. just want to make sure to have a good plan set up for when we do.:tiphat:

bucks8n

Have been planning this sort of approach since my last cab grow - need to sourt out and ource some decent mesh for the vertical screen though and figure best size...

Any advice for a 400w lamp in 4'w x 4'd x 6'h space? Was scheming on using the circulation fan as frame but wonder if that's too small..

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
A 400 watt needs a 14" diameter 'scorch screen', buds touching the screen will get just scorched if you have the upward air flow right ....... a 10" fan at least and have your extractor directly above the the lamp if possible

Stoichio

I love this compilation. If y'all don't mind I'll post some pics of my own vertical grow. It's 4x4x5 lit by 1kw with an 8" cooltube. Air conditioned (only way to pull of that light, lol). Temps run 73*. 10 sites, 8 in use. Perlite drip feed drain to waste. First run with this setup, so we'll see how it goes. First time scroging too. I have high hopes. Oh, and I added a center support, I think it's in one of these pics. That's cause my carbon filter/ballast/fan box sits dead center on top and weighs...idk, 60lbs

The strain's Grape Ape for anybody who's curious. I've only heard speculation as to it's lineage, my favorite theory is it's a different pheno of the P. Urkle x Big bud cross.
Photo0374.jpg

Photo0211.jpg

Photo0316.jpg

Photo0339.jpg

Photo0361.jpg

Re: The cool tube "debate". I'm using one for a few reasons. Firstly, I didn't plan on using A/C, lol. That was foolish. Second, this is such a tight space and I have no idea how thick that canopy's going to get. The last thing I want is a bare bulb and a stay branch. Lastly, I live in a warm area. Last year it was in the 80's through november. I'll be pissed if that happens again, but I really need all the help I can get for cooling. I 100% agree, if you don't need it, don't use it.

MyGreenToe

Thanks guys! I hope it is good enough to be made sticky at some point.

To that end, I have edited post #7 to include links to the best vertical setups on ICMag of each type. I will keep updating and adding content as I see fit. I'm getting happier with it overall, but the article is far from complete...
Keep It Green
MGT