What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ancient Afghan

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
aa.jpg
aa3.jpg
SAM_0271.jpg
SAM_0257-1.jpg

For a while I thought I was going to be the only AA grower, but plenty of you now. My grow was not what I expect anyone else to have but will report it anyways.

I had 100 watts of LED overhead and 3 55 watt 3000k pl-l flouros in center and corners of the tent vertically. The AA plants were squished to the side of the tent for all but the last 2 weeks and received a lot less light(they were on the edge of the LED light footprint and got a third or less of the flouro light) than the other plants. I removed the light trap from the inlet port as the tent was in a dimly lit room in a open closet (computer monitor or small desk light), also there were pinhole leaks around the zipper of tent. Thrips were munching and crapping on the plants throughout the grow. I did not see how bad till harvest. I was soil drenching the plants with neem for gnats and I thought it would kill the thrips too but if did not. I hate spraying neem around and will not do it.

So they had crappy light for all but last 2 weeks and other stresses. I had to remove a lot of fan leaves to even fit them in as well as take off leaves damaged by the thrips. They were vegged for 6 weeks and remained short. I took them to 90 days before chopping along with 1 of the last MLI plants. They had a quarter to a third white pistils at chop and maybe 10% amber trichomes. I wanted to take them longer so all the pistils were red and shriveled and trichs were half amber, but had to end grow for some reasons. All plants had nanners but no seeds. True of the MLI also.

I had to throw away around half the buds due to thrip crap. The buds were dense and sweet smelling with an acidic tang to them. The smoke was sweet tasting and pleasant, can not really define it better than that. The high was physically stimulating for me, making me want to do things intensely or get up and move around. I felt ok jamming on the guitar really intense and playing computer games real hard, but was unable to feel at ease just sitting in one place passively, like reading stuff here at Icmag. The high was clear, calm and detached, kinda like looking at things from afar.

I wanted this as a late night chill smoke but it amps me too much for that. I think if I use a Hot Shot strip and zap the thrips and fix the light issues I may have a normal flowering period and get all the pistils brown and lots of amber trichs next time. That may fix the hyperactive aspect of the buzz for me, which is typical for me with most strains btw. I have around 7 beans left. A couple of other people have smoked this and liked it, no reports of feeling restless or anything. Potency is good but it will not ring your bell after a hit. Not a big rush to the head or anything like some strains, just an even buzz.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have since wondered if I got the Blockhead by mistake. Have so many strains going no time to redo this one soon.