What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

kind led

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
how much heat do these lights produce??? we are working in a small tent (4x3.5) - with '2' 315 cmh... last year added a 8bulb 4ft fluor and cooked the plants - thanks

Koondense

Veteran
Definitely it's time to switch to leds.
But not to Kind leds, there are far better options around.

Cheers

SweetJ138

I'm running the KIND k5 x750 in a 4x4 tent, and my plants seem to love it.

Picked it up used on ebay locally for under 600, and its been smooth sailing with my 1st indoor grow. You can put your hand like an inch away from the LED's and hardly feel any heat at all.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
Not too much

Not too much

the heat they throw is non issue. Gentle, warming not blasting heat like HPS. I doubled my growing space using 2 of these. The growth is fantastic. The plants really respond well. I am close to moving more 4-5 week old babies under them and watch the stretch begin within 2 days. Grow on folks!!!

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
^^Id imagine they arent top bin though and the lifespan will fall off sooner than top binned tech.. keep an eye on the par output after a few years of use..

Kind LED are so badly over priced they were just one of the first people selling pickaxes in the led gold rush..

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The binning is very important, controlling the output spectrum and overall efficiency. The newest tech LEDs are made with ceramic backing, which means they'll take over 10 years to lose 10% efficiency.

The bargain LED's are not ceramic backed and will lose upwards of 30% efficiency, in less than 10 years.

The best bang for your buck right now in LED is DIY. Basic construction, soldering, electrical safety and math skills. :) You can build a premium quality light for close to $1/watt. This means a 330w light will cost you around $350, plus your time. :)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Good point, since any UL or similar rated product will have a label somewhere stating this. Exact watts, amps and the base voltage it's wired for.

Yup

Yup

Good point, since any UL or similar rated product will have a label somewhere stating this. Exact watts, amps and the base voltage it's wired for.

Yeah man. 18 K lumens sounds pretty dope for 100 buck and its led. If you want something ive found super helpful amd for less money you can always get a Vero 29 ($28.00) a driver from Amazon @ 1500 m.a ($13.99) and either a passive heatsink from rapid led ($19.00) or get ya a arctic alpine 11 plus ($19.00). Personally I would go passive because ive had fans fail, and when they do, so do your leds.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Grow proven LEDs also have better tailored spectral output vs any old white led..

Our eyes cant detect when the high quality blue and red light falls off because we are so sensitive to green light..

Seems like a rookie mistake to me but who knows..

D3pthCharg3

Have run and sold Kind LEDs in the past; have a grow, own a growshop. As a couple posters have stated, there are MUCH better options. 1.) Please, I beg you all, go full spectrum. Look to nature if you need to, does the sun glow pink, blue, etc.. 2.) Call KIND and ask them what their umol(PAR)/watt is? They probably won't tell you because it is only slightly better than an HPS...basicly this means...how much (usable) light per watt...if its not usable light its unusable light or heat. In KINDS case its both. Unfortunatly, you cannot duct the LED like an HPS...sooooo, a lot of heat and unusable light, which translates to shitty yields. Id love to meet a KIND grower that breaks 2 per 4x4, using only KIND leds. 3.) Look into quantum board LEDs; the future is now. Specifically Horticulture Lighting Group, or HLG. It's the ONLY lights I sell now, I've completely done away with bulbs...HPS, MH, CMH, DE, T5 etc...If you were thinking of using LEDs, do yourself a favor and forget about KIND (They are also difficult when warranty becomes an issue too).

D3pthCharg3

I'm running the KIND k5 x750 in a 4x4 tent, and my plants seem to love it.

Picked it up used on ebay locally for under 600, and its been smooth sailing with my 1st indoor grow. You can put your hand like an inch away from the LED's and hardly feel any heat at all.

:)Glad your grow is going well...For next time, perhaps, an HLG 300 would have cost similarly new. KIND is fairly outdated technology in LED world. Take a temperature of the top of the light...Thats where heat goes; up.:)