What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Northern California Outdoor - 400 Gallon Raised Beds

CrushnYuba

No they're 5' from the ground. I meant to go back and edit that but I forgot. So when the were transplanted they were about 3.5' tall or there abouts. The roots had just started growing out of the 7 gallon geopots when they were transplanted. Except for the sour sunset x humble pie x blueberry syrup.

They're starting to get lateral growth now. The branches are stretching out. I'm gonna cage them in the coming days and will probably do a little LST

Be super on to of it. Once a plant Is wider on the top then the bottom, it's unlikely that branches under it Will do much. Do you understand what i mean? Like as it stands right now, at the end of the year your plant will have a few feet of main stalk and the branches will start coming out where your tops are now. Like enormous lollypops. Maybe someone more experienced in recovering plant shapes Like that can chime in.

I'm usually against training outdoor plants. I usually try to encourage plants to naturally grow in the shapes i want then from a young age. Indoor training methods don't usually work the best outside. Indoor plants we are going for canopy to get light coming straight down from lights. Outdoor we are going for a 3d ball of bud that gets light from different angles from an arc.

GlaZed420

Be super on to of it. Once a plant Is wider on the top then the bottom, it's unlikely that branches under it Will do much. Do you understand what i mean? Like as it stands right now, at the end of the year your plant will have a few feet of main stalk and the branches will start coming out where your tops are now. Like enormous lollypops. Maybe someone more experienced in recovering plant shapes Like that can chime in.

I'm usually against training outdoor plants. I usually try to encourage plants to naturally grow in the shapes i want then from a young age. Indoor training methods don't usually work the best outside. Indoor plants we are going for canopy to get light coming straight down from lights. Outdoor we are going for a 3d ball of bud that gets light from different angles from an arc.

I completely understand what you're saying. Lessons learned for sure.

GlaZed420

I think there it's something You Can duo about it.. Not sure what exactly. I know people who cut the top half off their plants

This was yesterday

Attachments

• IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 25

GlaZed420

Little update:

The Cookies n Cream x MDB x GDP decided to go into flower early... I ripped it out about 10 days ago and replaced with a more Cherry Pie leaning Blueberry Syrup. I have also just been watering with de-chlorinated water and not pHing... I tested pH and it was varying between 8.2-9. Im now feeding with 6.2-6.5 pHed water.

I'm also dealing with what appears to be low nitrogen symptoms, possibly. What do you guys think?

Here is a Sour Sunset x Humble Pie x Blueberry Syrup. Definitely looking lime green.

This is the Blueberry leaning Blueberry Syrup

This is the Cherry Pie leaning Blueberry Syrup (the lower branching is just starting to take off

Last edited:

CrushnYuba

You are probably right. N deficiency. You are Probably just over watering. The ph is a bit high but it Probably doesn't make a huge difference. Maybe give them a foliar feeding to pull them out of it. Let the soil dry out good. Let them spread their roots and search for that chicken shit!

GRIMS

Excited to watch the progress! Nice looking beds you got there.
Love the choice on genetics, I'm running some Calco gear as well: Blueberry Syrup, Dosidos x Blueberry Syrup, Starfighter x GDP f2

Cheers!

GlaZed420

You are probably right. N deficiency. You are Probably just over watering. The ph is a bit high but it Probably doesn't make a huge difference. Maybe give them a foliar feeding to pull them out of it. Let the soil dry out good. Let them spread their roots and search for that chicken shit!

As soon as I started feeding with 6.0-6.5pH water they greened right up. Root system is spreading way out :D

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats good! Happy plants make happy growers! Nice little Norcal garden there! Looking forward to watching them grow! Those tall plants are going to be really nice! :smoke:

GlaZed420

Little update...

This Blueberry Syrup is a keeper at least so far... It's giant. Really growing fast every day

This Sour Sunset x Humble Pie x Blueberry Syrup is really starting to take off now after I corrected the N deficiency

The other Blueberry Syrup that leans toward Cherry Pie isn't doing great, slow and funky growing. It probably never rebounded from such a late transplant. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking good! The big blueberry syrup is on the move! Fun to watch them explode with growth this time of year! The other 2 look like they're coming along. You could always plug in more plants to fill in the area. Those smaller ones will still end up at 8 ft+ and will yield well. Still time to grow! Water them when they're thirsty and keep them fed! Thanks for sharing!

GlaZed420

Looking good! The big blueberry syrup is on the move! Fun to watch them explode with growth this time of year! The other 2 look like they're coming along. You could always plug in more plants to fill in the area. Those smaller ones will still end up at 8 ft+ and will yield well. Still time to grow! Water them when they're thirsty and keep them fed! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you. Ya that's what I was thinking... I have some freshly transplanted clones that might be finding their way into the beds.

GlaZed420

Quick question for you guys... For those that have grown in larger sized pots or beds, how much water are you giving them and how often? I'm watering 15 gallons 3 times a week. It doesn't seem like nearly enough however there have been zero signs of under watering. Again it still doesn't sound right

MedResearcher

Veteran
Apx 10% of soil volume is field saturation. So 40 gallons on a 400 gallon planter.

If the soil is already moist, it should not take 40, so 15-20 is probably a good maintenance watering. I like every other day, with a little thin mulch, at least through the heat of the summer. Then back off as the temps cool.

Nice garden, and genetics.

Mr^^

GlaZed420

Apx 10% of soil volume is field saturation. So 40 gallons on a 400 gallon planter.

If the soil is already moist, it should not take 40, so 15-20 is probably a good maintenance watering. I like every other day, with a little thin mulch, at least through the heat of the summer. Then back off as the temps cool.

Nice garden, and genetics.

Mr^^

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. The soil gets pretty dry 2 inches down but is lightly moist below that. I might bump up to 20 gallons every other day especially as they're getting bigger.

GlaZed420

Update - 8/29

Well this year has been a learning experience, early flowering, reveg, etc...

With that said I found a real keeper with the middle plant (Blueberry Syrup) it is probably 3-4 weeks into flowering and half of the plant is crazy deep purple and it smells like blueberry syrup, amazing. Its 8.5' tall and 10' wide. The others are doing well just not nearly as good as the middle plant. Next year will be dialed in much better.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Update - 8/29

Well this year has been a learning experience, early flowering, reveg, etc...

With that said I found a real keeper with the middle plant (Blueberry Syrup) it is probably 3-4 weeks into flowering and half of the plant is crazy deep purple and it smells like blueberry syrup, amazing. Its 8.5' tall and 10' wide. The others are doing well just not nearly as good as the middle plant. Next year will be dialed in much better.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79566&pictureid=1970962&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79566&pictureid=1970959&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79566&pictureid=1970957&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79566&pictureid=1970955&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Looking good! you might wanna figure some sort of trellis here soon.
Those branches look floppy, as they put on weight it will not be good.

You can take some gardening tape and maybe tie branches to your inner cage for supporting them? Instead of buying a roll of trellis...

Good luck the rest of the way!!!

GlaZed420

Looking good! you might wanna figure some sort of trellis here soon.
Those branches look floppy, as they put on weight it will not be good.

You can take some gardening tape and maybe tie branches to your inner cage for supporting them? Instead of buying a roll of trellis...

Good luck the rest of the way!!!

They're pretty strong actually but I plan on tying the branches to the main cage. I meant to add a second cage or trellis but never did. Thanks

CrushnYuba

U should just do it now. Tying each branch might be tough. Trellis can be cheap if you buy it in the right place. You probably don't need the 3,200ft rolls. They have 250ft rolls for like 60$ in 5ft and 6.5ft.

I think you will be surprised when it puts on the weight

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
U should just do it now. Tying each branch might be tough. Trellis can be cheap if you buy it in the right place. You probably don't need the 3,200ft rolls. They have 250ft rolls for like 60$ in 5ft and 6.5ft.

I think you will be surprised when it puts on the weight

Specially if it starts pouring rain in the next few month!

Latest posts

Latest posts