What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water pump for 100 emitters

le0n2009

hi guys
i wont to ask you about pump
im building dripping system for my sog setup of 100 plants in coco
my main problem is that i always had problem with the pressure in the pump that is not enough
so what do you think type of pump i need?
i searched and found a Diaphragm Pump with 40 psi and 4.5g/m im planing on having 100 0.5g/h emmiters
so what do you think will the pump fit?

Attachments

• HTB1p73ARVXXXXbmXFXXq6xXFXXXl.jpg
    HTB1p73ARVXXXXbmXFXXq6xXFXXXl.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 22

Cannabean

do you need to drip specifically? can you run something like these instead and use an interval timer to control the amount of water? It would eliminate the need for a high pressure pump

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Diaphragm Pumps can be quite insistent about their delivery. It's a positive displacement design. If the water can't get out the drip emitters, the pressure will reach that 40psi. Straining the pump, and your plumbing. Drip systems generally run at 15psi. Any more and pressure compensating drippers can be employed. Any less, and it's a low pressure system, using arrows like them pictured.

This exact pump can provide over 250 per hour, while the drippers combined emit 50.
I wouldn't try.

You want an equal pressure manifold to ensure even delivery at all emitters. Then a pump that can meet demand for both flow and pressure. Together.

A couple of rv pumps in a row will provide over a bar at that kind of flow. You need a 1 bar pressure reg between them and your drip lines. This will ensure 1 bar (~15psi) is in the drip hose manifold, as long as a bar or more is available from the pumps. Most $10 rv pumps are a bar at low flow, so a couple can produce 2 bar, at that same low flow. If flow is so great that they can't keep a bar, add a third. It's incremental. A single pump fail won't stop delivery either.

Switching laptop like power bricks can fuse timers. A contactor is needed.

A single high power whale would likely do the job. The whale site shows a graph of there pumps pressure potential at different delivery rates. It's actually 1.4 bar (14 meters of head)

Old thread bump made good..

LostTribe

Premium user
2 Words.

Little Giant.

I use one and it will blow past the rest of the suggestions. Got one after seeing SoQuick used one in the "ICmag is boring as shit" thread. Infamous. Search it.
LT

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
2 Words.

Little Giant.

I use one and it will blow past the rest of the suggestions. Got one after seeing SoQuick used one in the "ICmag is boring as shit" thread. Infamous. Search it.
LT

Any links? I can't see anything.

I would love to see something blow past. But I'm very doubtful.

I forgot to say, the rv pump is near silent. Keep it 6" away from the side of the tank, and you just can't hear it unless you get your ear in contact. The rotating mass is more more than 20mm from the axis it turns about, so there are no real issues with balancing. It's DC so no 50-60hz torque peaks. So surround it in water, and suspend it there with elastic, and vibration issues are really non existent. Otherwise you would just buy a sump pump.

LostTribe

Premium user
Any links? I can't see anything.

I would love to see something blow past. But I'm very doubtful.

I forgot to say, the rv pump is near silent. Keep it 6" away from the side of the tank, and you just can't hear it unless you get your ear in contact. The rotating mass is more more than 20mm from the axis it turns about, so there are no real issues with balancing. It's DC so no 50-60hz torque peaks. So surround it in water, and suspend it there with elastic, and vibration issues are really non existent. Otherwise you would just buy a sump pump.

I was being lazy. Heres the thread I will link to the pump.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=7366

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Little-Giant-5-MSP-1-6-HP-Submersible-Utility-Pump-505176/205030754

Best,
LT

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks for looking. I can't think why my search failed.

That does about 1000 2L low pressure emitters. Using 120w to spin a quite large rotating mass to shift all that. It's a low pressure pump though. Balancing the emitters means keeping them all at the same height and at the same distance from the pump. Or using taps. Pressure regulators are not made for this market, or compensated emitters. Or self cleaning one's. Spray heads. Spinning emitters. It's just stakes with holes in. I have such stakes, that in small groups, lead back to a pressure compensating head. It ensures each only gets 2Lph when the head receives between 1 and 3 bar. At 0.8 bar, the 2L limit isn't employed. The regulator is wide open. Allowing maximum flow. It's a rapid drain down function, that clears the lines as you switch on/off. Your pump can't power anything like that though.

There is an inline version of the whale. So you can keep it off the bottom, but still reach down to the bottom. Don't let it get blocked though. It will suck a garden hose flat. It's nearly double your pump, if your pump could suck.

The whale submersibles are really for noise and good pressure, not long life of high volume applications. They last years, until the day you run one dry. After which it has 3 month left at best. When putting one in, always open the pipework upstream of it. Letting out air. Allowing water to raise into the pump. Really.. not dry. It can't pump air. It will just spin. I think the bearings need the water, and the 50w of motor heat leaves in the fluid. The bearings start rattling very quickly when dry. Despite this, I still buy them for dripping. And keep a spare.

Whale also sell inline pumps that can run dry, but are not submersible. They tend it be just a bit bigger to. It's just not as quiet though, or as tidy.

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user
Thanks for looking. I can't think why my search failed.

That does about 1000 2L low pressure emitters. Using 120w to spin a quite large rotating mass to shift all that. It's a low pressure pump though. Balancing the emitters means keeping them all at the same height and at the same distance from the pump. Or using taps. Pressure regulators are not made for this market, or compensated emitters. Or self cleaning one's. Spray heads. Spinning emitters. It's just stakes with holes in. I have such stakes, that in small groups, lead back to a pressure compensating head. It ensures each only gets 2Lph when the head receives between 1 and 3 bar. At 0.8 bar, the 2L limit isn't employed. The regulator is wide open. Allowing maximum flow. It's a rapid drain down function, that clears the lines as you switch on/off. Your pump can't power anything like that though.

There is an inline version of the whale. So you can keep it off the bottom, but still reach down to the bottom. Don't let it get blocked though. It will suck a garden hose flat. It's nearly double your pump, if your pump could suck.

The whale submersibles are really for noise and good pressure, not long life of high volume applications. They last years, until the day you run one dry. After which it has 3 month left at best. When putting one in, always open the pipework upstream of it. Letting out air. Allowing water to raise into the pump. Really.. not dry. It can't pump air. It will just spin. I think the bearings need the water, and the 50w of motor heat leaves in the fluid. The bearings start rattling very quickly when dry. Despite this, I still buy them for dripping. And keep a spare.

Whale also sell inline pumps that can run dry, but are not submersible. They tend it be just a bit bigger to. It's just not as quiet though, or as tidy.

Interested as it runs dry no probs. What is the rate for GPH can't find that info?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The inline external whale? I'm not sure. You would have to check their site. It's quite a bit more than the submersible types I use.

Whale are made in Ireland iirc. So the brand may not have global coverage. The states seem big on RV's so no doubt have a number of options. That is the market they come from. Taps and showers. Good pressure at modest flow rates. Anything bigger and your looking at sump pumps and well pumps. The latter could probably fire a dripper off the line and through a window.