What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carbon filter concerns

stemarmel

Hey friends new grower,
How effectively will the carbon filter handle the smell from my grow room? In particular during the flowering period If the exhaust is anywhere near people will they be able to smell it? Concerned about security.
Thanks

Granger2

Veteran
If you get the right size filter/fan, and a quality filter, it should control it completely. Good luck. -granger

OhighO

As stated above. If you have the right size fan/filter you will have no smell issues. I find the fan noise more of a concern than smells.

I have had fantastic results with CAN brand filters fwiw.

the gnome

Veteran
:yeahthats

my 1st filter was a can50 paired to a 6" elicent 150b 304cfm inline
100% odor control.
occasionally at lites on i would go outside and stick my nose right at the exaust.
when the fan came on i could smell *something* for a second or 2 and that was it.
the smell was something funny but not canna

Just make sure to buy the appropriate size filter for the size of your grow and you should be all set. I like can-filters with a max fan on it and I have no oder issues at all. I don't exhaust out side my rooms though, I run sealed rooms so i just scrub the air inside the room.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Say you're using a 400w HPS lightbulb.

You're going to need .3 CFM (cubic feet per minute) to remove heat from the light in carbon filters...so that will be 120cfm (400w x .3 CFM heat =120cfm)

You need at least 120cfm to remove heat and say another 200cfm for smell..so now your growbox has 320 cfm of Carbon filters.

So you have 3-4 carbon filters tied together to exhaust the smell to come to 320cfm worth.You can have more if you can fit.

Now you must find a fan that Stays BELOW the total numbers on your filters.Some fans have 3 ratings for speed...LOW,MED,HIGH..The CFM would be for low is 55cfm and med would be 175 cfm and high would be 275cfm.

You can run your high settings or med settings as to not let your growbox get too hot and blowing out your filters with anything over 320 cfm.You can add more filters just to stay ahead of the fan speed acting as your exhaust.

Most people cannot smell carbon so your room will smell fresh..if you smell bud then you have a leak somewhere.Don't grow overly powerful smell like diesel plants since it's strong or you may need more filters to run it 24/7

al70

Veteran
Don't go cheap with your filter, I bought a cheap filter online, I'm first week into flower, and the house stinks, I'm running around with aerosols waiting on delivery of my rhino, goodluck

Easy7

Veteran
Carbon scrubs all other than ammonia. The only smell I notice from the exhaust is a yeast fresh bread smell.

packerfan79

Veteran
It's also strain dependant. I have a can 150, and a 10 in max fan, but it could never keep up with a 10 x 12 room full of real og, and sparky, after week 5.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
To be even safer, you can run a filter/fan in the room, as well as a filter/fan on the exhaust.

You can run a Ozone generator downstream of the exhaust filter, never before, it may/will strip your buds of smell, harm your lungs and fuckup your carbon filter. Ozone works best when it has the chance to mix in a "lung room" before it exits, so the O3 has a chance to oxidise any smell particles that escaped.

Powering the Ozone generator (and possibly exhaust) via a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply, for computers) will help save your ass if there is a power cut...

Can brand filters seem to be consistently good, but you must get the matching spec filter for your fan, zero errors, as others have already said.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Don't go cheap with your filter, I bought a cheap filter online, I'm first week into flower, and the house stinks, I'm running around with aerosols waiting on delivery of my rhino, goodluck
If I have one or 2 plants...I would cut some leaves off the plant and get rid of weak buds and lower branches.Helps alot cutting down the smell and the carbon works better.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I can't stress enough to upsize your filter. Get a larger size than what pencils out.

Agreed. Air velocity through the carbon bed goes way down, increasing effectiveness. They'll be effective longer, too.

Two stage cooling ( see ventilation 101) also aids enormously in odor control. The air passing thru the reflectors doesn't need to be scrubbed, just the much lower airflow thru the chamber. I've had solid results from Phat filters. They're also lighter weight than pelletized carbon filters, easier to mount overhead. They last ~1 year for me. When I switch filters, I order a new one, keep it on hand for next time.

Having recently acquired a used 4" centrifugal fan at a yard sale, I'll set it up with the old filter in the lung room, actually my workshop, so that I can scrub the air of paint fumes & so forth before it goes thru the growth chamber. Old filters still work, just not well enough to do a great job. Spray paint fumes will whup your filter prematurely as will a lot of other organic vapors.

Even though limited personal growing is legal here in CO it's just not smart to reek out the neighbors or your own house.

al70

Veteran
If I have one or 2 plants...I would cut some leaves off the plant and get rid of weak buds and lower branches.Helps alot cutting down the smell and the carbon works better.

I've 16 plants in an 8x4 tent, neighbours all round, fuckin nightmare, just got a tip from a member here , got my extractor hanging on bungee straps from the ceiling, noise eliminated, goodluck

excon

Get a larger size than what pencils out. - also a ionizer is my choice of tool
-- more expensive but less hustle - i combine a good oversize filter that i change once a year with ionizer and have 0 smell