What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In My Growroom and I Hear An Explosion Above Me....

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Metal Halide up and exploded out of the blue! Taking in 60 degree air from outside, never seen this happen! What would of happened if I was not air cooling this light and the glass exploded all over me = FUCKED...

fabvariousk

Veteran
It is nice to be reminded every so often how dangerous doing this can be. I have thankfully only seen this happen in enclosed fixtures.

Granger2

Veteran
Plus the poisonous gases were exhausted rather than going into your room and lungs. Good luck. -granger

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have to say I prefer to grow in tents and work with the lights off or do all my shit before the lights go on to prevent this kinda danger. When walking round the 45 light grow it's scary. Listening to all the power and the noise of the start up its not pleasant. Glad your ok.

When buying HID bulbs I try to look through as many as I can and get ones with arcs that are aligned properly and not offset as I believe these are seconds and I steer well clear of them. Same go's for the CMH you want to be able to have the light source facing the plants.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Metal Halide up and exploded out of the blue! Taking in 60 degree air from outside, never seen this happen! What would of happened if I was not air cooling this light and the glass exploded all over me = FUCKED...

Pretty rare occurrence, but exactly the reason that I only use enclosed fixtures.

packerfan79

Veteran
this is why I use cool tubes, for my vert, a few more ounces isn't worth burning my house down, I have babies NOT WORTH THE RISK.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Most metal halides are for enclosed fixtures only. When shopping for metal halides check to see if it is rated for open fixture use, if not growing in an enclosed fixture.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I had an Ultra Sun HPS blow..

I had an Ultra Sun HPS blow..

Pretty rare occurrence, but exactly the reason that I only use enclosed fixtures.

I also had it in a Sun Air Cooled Hood.

But it was a Brand New Bulb, so probably defective :biggrin:

Very Scary :hotbounce

usda101

I had a vertical hanging halide bulb explode while i was in another room . It was just a few minutes after plugging it in . The crazy thing was the damn thing was still lite , only the glass bulb broke , sounded like a Shot gun .

chefbudz

thanks now I am all stoned and paranoid my damn bulbs are all go blow up small bulbs like 100w MH should by fine bare bulb right? now iam scared iam gonna be shot in the face with glass

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks now I am all stoned and paranoid my damn bulbs are all go blow up small bulbs like 100w MH should by fine bare bulb right? now iam scared iam gonna be shot in the face with glass

As stated above, most MH lamps are rated for use in enclosed fixtures only.

Check yours and see what the rating is.

MJBadger

Veteran
I`m thinking on doing my first indoor run as I need around 200 clones for an outdoor project so I`m starting to read more indoor threads . I will keep an eye on this one as it may determine my choice of light .

stihgnobevoli

Veteran

rofl i know rite. i'm getting paranoid and keep looking at my box. us lowly 100watters are safe right? i'm using a "reinforced" bulb, got some kinda glass and wire shield thing around the main element in the center of the bulb.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Tightened you up, huh? I'll bet it did!

For anybody concerned about their own setup, only open fixture rated MH lamps have the extended center contact, explained here-

http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmallstart.htm

They go on to say that HPS lamps are always enclosed fixture rated but that they don't really need it. In the growbiz, it's all enclosed rated sockets, making it easy to get it wrong with naked MH bulbs.

That sort of failure is supposedly very rare, but I've learned to just follow the instructions anyway. Open fixture, open rated lamp, no problems.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Blown bulb could be a symptom, have that circuit, ballast, socket, etc. checked so
you can avoid any situation later. Better safe than sorry, specially with your luck...

Unnerving to say the least.

OhighO

I've had this happen with a 1000w hps bulb. I wasn't there to witness it but it blew the glass out of a SS blockbuster in a 10 ft radius. Had to scrap everything under the light because glass shards were stuck to everything in sight. The biggest piece of glass was about the size of a pencil eraser!

Cartel530

Veteran
your lucky.. i ha this happen uncooled with the glass off.. melted the tent and filled it with the vapors which poisoned the ones that werent melted lol, luckily no fire but now u wont catch me without a shielded MH