What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3phase 120/208V run 240V from same service?

Title says it all. Getting upgraded to 3 phase 120/208...trouble is all the ballasts I have run 240V, aka Gavita. Dude is saying I can't get 240V from this service, anyone else have input?

Is there a way, within reason considering money, to get 240V power off of 3 phase 120/208 V service?

Thanks for any help!

T

OhighO

The whole place will be 3 phase? Usually a building will have both 3phase and single phase panels...

The upgrade is coming in all 3 phase, 120V and 208V 1600 AMPS of it.

We have single phase atm, 1000 amps, but that is all being used.

Epaps seem to me to be gavita knock offs, no offense. Doesn't mean they arn't good, but I am equipping a warehouse and need reliable/proven equipment.

Basically from what I came across I have to get a boost/buck transformer to up the voltage from 208V to 240V to run a appliances that want 240V.

The other alternative I thought of was to buy European gavitas that run on 230V +/- 10%, which means at the lowest voltage they would run off 207V......

power is dumb.

T

Jhhnn

Veteran
The upgrade is coming in all 3 phase, 120V and 208V 1600 AMPS of it.

We have single phase atm, 1000 amps, but that is all being used.

Epaps seem to me to be gavita knock offs, no offense. Doesn't mean they arn't good, but I am equipping a warehouse and need reliable/proven equipment.

Basically from what I came across I have to get a boost/buck transformer to up the voltage from 208V to 240V to run a appliances that want 240V.

The other alternative I thought of was to buy European gavitas that run on 230V +/- 10%, which means at the lowest voltage they would run off 207V......

power is dumb.

T

Have you contacted Gavita's north american distributor? Their tech department? If not, do so. That's how you'll find out what you really need, deal with it from there.

It can def be done with a transformer, but it might cost more than new lights.

Conventional ballasts have their good points, like 120/ 208/ 240/ 277/ & 480 taps.

So I emailed Gavita today.

They are rolling out new Pro Line series complete fixtures that come for 208V. They go up for sale March 1. They are also making a 208V lighting controller, they don't really exist since everything seems to be on 240V.

I will be talking to my distributor. If its anything like when they started selling in US, they were HARD to get ahold of...

If this doesn't come in time, I will be going with switchable old school magnetic ballasts, digital remote ballasts are not for me.

Thanks for the input!

T