What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pipedream"s 150w Tiny Bubbler System

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
If the plant is finishing on her own in the proper time frame, I don't bother to flush it.

If she seems to be lagging behind a bit, and I need to expidite the final week or two of gland production and color change, I'll move her over to H2O only with no nutes.

Here's my reasoning.....

When a plant is in the last stages of flowering, one of it's natural processes is to stop the uptake of nutrients. This change in chemistry signals the plant to complete it's seeding process. While most of our plants are not allowed to produce seeds, the same signal tells the plant to stop actively producing THC within it's glands. As a result the existing glands start to decay and turn amber. Yes, those amber trichs we all so seek are in fact decayed. By flushing all available nutrients you force the plant into it's final phase and can expedite the process of changing clear trichs to a rich brown hue. Of course, not everyone desires amber. Those that desire less of a couch-lock high will want a higher percentage of clear.

On another front, I'm also a big fan of an extended dark period before the harvest. THC is produced during the dark period and quickly decays in bright light. Two to three days of darkness will increase the potency of your final product.

katythedog

I see where you are going....

I see where you are going....

AH HA! I get ya, I will definately be checking in with you later when I reach that stage. The no flush comment brought me out of dormency. So far I'm doing really well with my (or your) set up. I'm at the 3 week veg mark and the girls (hopefully) look great so far. Love the Techniflora nutes, no major problems so far. Love the set up and the ease of it all. So I'm really interested in the no flushing (as long as they are doing it on their own) and the extended darkness. From what I understand, the higher the THC the more heady the feel (which is what i want), the higher other chemical (CB?whatever) gives more the couch potato feel. So I am really interested in your method...do you extend your dark period longer than 12 hours or do you just leave them in total darkness for a few days, and if so at what stage? Also, what color are you looking for when it's time to harvest, amber? or brown? I have a few different strains that I'm trying most Sativa/Indica mixes, some are higher in one and some higher in the other, but I'm really looking for more medicinal/sativa type. I have a couple of JH's that I'm hoping kick some butt!! Also, I've heard that flushing helps eliminate the harshness too. What's your opinion on that....is there a difference or is it minimal.

Pipedream

Veteran
For the dark period prior to harvest, I use 48-72 hours (2-3 days) of total darkness, no lighting at all.

As far as color and effect goes....I'm looking for a heavy narcotic-like effect as I use my herbs in place of Percoset, Vicodin, and Oxycotin as a pain killer. That being said, I generally want to see a nice rich amber color to the majority of the glands.

katythedog

Do you top feed at all

Do you top feed at all

Hi it's me again, do you top feed your plants at all? Also, do you ever get any root problems? My rez temp is 68-70 but my roots are getting a little brown, not slimy and they don't smell. Not sure if the nutes cause this (using Techniflora BC Boost & Grow). My air temps are 70-72 & humidity 40-45%. I thought the environment was good so I'm not really sure if this is normal or not. My water did get funky so I changed it and added Flora Shield as a precaution. Thanks for any help.

Pipedream

Veteran
Hi "me again",

Nice to see you're still hanging about. I don't really top feed at all, although, they do get a bit of foilier feed from time to time. I like to give them a light misting from time to time, and since I always have the water mixed up for my hydro bath, I use it instead of plain H2O. They seem to like it. If you choose to do it, don't do it before the lights go out. You want all of the water to evaporate before the box goes dark, it helps prevent mold. And never do it on buds that are getting large and tight. They'll retain the moisture and develop mold on the inside.

As far as the browning of the roots goes and the health of your bath, I resolve both issues by adding a bit of H2O2 on a regular basis. I don't use much, maybe a couple of teaspoons per bucket once a week. It seems to keep everything nice and healthy and the roots nice and bright. I use the cheapest stuff I can find. You can get it at almost any Dollar Store.

By the way, your temps are great and actually much better than I maintain mine.

Last edited:

katythedog

thanks

thanks

I have 8 - T5 bulbs, 4 in each spectrum, that keeps all the temps down. I know I'll get a lower yield but due to my surrounding I didn't think I could handle the heat of an hps in such a small space, with not many options or money to cool it. I'm anxious to see how well the T5's do. I added a second air pump to my buckets hoping the added 02 will help the roots, and I'll be adding the H202 (50 cents a bottle at the dollar store) as well. I have about 4 gallons of nutes with an air pump for a 60 gallon tank, I hope thats enough, it bubbles pretty good. It's all part of the learning process..... Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
WOW :yoinks: HOW THE HELL,did I miss this :pointlaug I'm way to high to read the whole thing right now,but i scanned the pics & All i have to say is i'm BLOWN AWAY.
Mucho Props,BRO.

PEACE;1TT

Pipedream

Veteran
:rasta:
Hey all. Thanks for stoping by my thread again. Here's the latest addition to my growing set-up. Its my EZ-Clone knock-off system. It functions exactly like the original with high pressure misters delivering a very fine mist to the stems, and an airpump to keep a fresh supply of outside air running thru the bath in order to keep DO levels at a maximum. The big difference is only the cost. Theirs starts at $295 and goes way up from there. Mine ran less than 50 bucks USD to build.

There are several other threads that give the basics of building them, so I won't bore you with the details here. The pictures should tell you what I did and the changes I made from the others. However, I love to answer questions, so If anything isn't clear, or you want any additional info about the supplies I used or my methods, just post away or send me a PM.

I hope this helps or at least gets you thinking.......

.... .... .... .... .... ....

Last edited:

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
well lookie here!!! Awsome...muchos respectos to Pipdream.

ha ... I had posted thinkin you were pipeline...lol sorry bout that mang.
Great set-up, and description.

I'm just gonna pull up a chair over here with all these Peeps. :lurk:

Taker easy mang!! :wave:

Last edited:

Sleepy

Veteran
what an excellent thread!

what an excellent thread!

wow...

i love your cabinet!!!

lots to learn here, folks!! :respect: :bow:

BladeSire

Hey all! I'm new here, but I've got some questions;

First, how can you guys feel safe posting all this stuff? Legality is a large concern for myself, and it's probably the one thing keeping me from growing. Until I move to a more 420-friendly locale (hopefully soon!), I want to learn as much as possible about the subject.

So I guess that makes my second question about terminology - do you guys have a glossary/growing science thread? lol. While I think I can understand the basics of everything you've explained, PipeDream, my lack of experience with the actual science behind the plant's grow habits makes me a little wary of growing - if I'm going to put the time and effort in, I want to know what I'm doing. Also, knowing the science may help me experiment with a grow op to see if I can't produce different effects based on what I know.

I was also curious about grow time and yield. You've said you manage to get between 1 and 2 oz. from each plant, but other places I've seen indicate as much as 4 oz. Likewise, I've seen some places say you can harvest after 10 weeks, with other places taking as long as several months. My 420-friendly living quarters will be a temporary setup, and I'll probably only be there for about 3 months - is it worth trying to grow?

And finally, cost is a big issue for me, which is something that really attracts me to your posts- I've seen some supply costs over the course of the thread, but I'm afraid that due to my lack of knowledge, I'll forget something if I don't have a checklist when I go to the store. Are there any good threads or spots for itemized lists of the necessary materials for your bubbler system? Any tips to stop from overpaying?

Thanks again - your thread is pretty fricken' amazing!

HAPPYTREE

beautiful set up

beautiful set up

hey PD have been watchin this thread since i found IC about 31/2 mos ago and i love that cab :yummy: 1 question in your ez cloner are those tupperware cups or what ( the turqoise things not the neoprene) anyways love this thread and always growsafe.

:joint: HT :lurk:

ps what is the pvc plug that the chords run through in the side of cloner it makes everything so clean THANKS AGAIN

Last edited:

HAPPYTREE

hey blade sire this site has everything you need to get started, and if youve researched it and cant find it most people are eager to help JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND NOT ASK REDUNDANT QUESTIONS. but everyone is very nice and want to share there info thats why there here.

FOr supplies start with what style you want to do IE ( bubbler ,ebbn flow, aero etc) then its off to wally worlaka walmart or the 99 cent store i would atart there. pretty sure pipe dream does lots of shoppng at dollar store LOL best pplaces in my opininon.
good luck blade sire grow safe

does this sound correct pipe dream im sure he has got more info for ya

Pipedream

Veteran
Blade, HAPPYTREE is on the money . Start by looking at the "Stickies" you'll find almost everything you need for a newbie grower. My suggestion to all first timers is to start with a simple soil based grow and learn from that before you attempt hydro. And yes, harvest quantities and flowering durations can change dramatically based on strain, conditions, and growing style.

HAPPY, the puck holders are the cut-off tops of Baby Training Cups. They were purchased at the Dollar Store, 6 for $1. Not too shabby huh? And, the PVC fitting going thru the wall are two pieces picked up at Home DePot for about $1.50. They are one male and one female PVC Electrical Conduit fittings. I just cut a plug of waterproof foam, like the stuff holding the pump in place, and used it to fill the center. Makes things totally leak-proof.

HAPPYTREE

I love it pipe dream the dollar store is the shit!!! thanks to our petroleum consuming society :rant: any ways love the hole set up :woohoo:

grow safe
HT