What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

System help

G

Hello,

I am interested in making two rubbermaid hydro setups but am very new to this and am not sure what all I need to do.

Here is a link to a system like the one that I want to make.

eBayISAPI.dll

I know that I need to get a 130 gallon pump, but am not sure about the other tubing that I can see in the pics.

(1) Is this just fishtank tubing?

(2) Do I need a nozzle for the end of the tubing (where it pours into the net pots)?
(2a) Or does the water just pour out of an empty end?

(3) Should I also buy a couple air pumps and put in some air stones?
(3a) Or is that not needed when the water pours into the pots like it does with this system?

Thank you for any replies. I am getting to a point where this little dream of mine could work its way into reality.

I want to make sure that I do it as best as I can.

Peace

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
I use tubs like that...

I use tubs like that...

You might just be better off making it yourself. I only use four plant sites in each tub and drilled holes in the sides to allow 1/4" tubing into the tubs for airstones. I've got 10 one inch airstones in each of my tubs, but you could get by with less I think. If you're not planning on growing SOG I would suggest less plants per tub. Are those 21 gallon tubs? The nice thing about having larger tubs is that you have to fuss with it less. Get your nutrients up high enough to stabilize the pH and you shouldn't have to do anything with it in the first few weeks except for res changes. I'm on my third week with my plants in this system and they are loving it. I haven't had to adjust anything once other than gradually increasing my nute strength. I haven't even done a res change because they are doing great so I don't think they need it. I'm new to hydro so you'll want to run what I have to say by someone more experienced than myself, but my plants are doing awesome.

GreatLakes THC

Last edited:
G

Hello,

I am interested in building this myself. I however, from lack of experience, would like some help from those in the know about the materials used to build this.

I am mostly just interested in using it for clones.

Would one gallon buckets with bubble stones be good enough if I only want to let the clones reach a final height of 18-20 inches tall.

Thanks

GreatLakes THC

Veteran
Question...

Question...

Do you want to transplant the clones at 18-20 inches into another container for flowering, or do you want them to finish flowering at 18-20 inches? if you want to finish flowering at 18-20 inches I would suggest using a larger container. You'll probably find that with 1 gallon containers you'll be adjusting the nutes, pH, and water levels much more often than you'd like just to keep things in optimal range. Also if you plan on moving them into larger containers for flower, by the time they are 18-20 inches I would guess the roots will have developed around the air stones and you will have a difficult time untangling them for the transplant into larger containers. Hope this helps you some.

GreatLakes THC

G

Hello,

Thanks that does help me out a lot. I was planning on finishing flowering at 18-20 inches. Since this post I have decided to use three gallon square buckets and six inch net pots. I will run six buckets, with three air lines each for a total of nine dual output air pumps. I figure I will use one bubble curtain and two air stones per bucket.

I have Pure blend nutrients along with GH PH up and down. I plan on getting some protekt but do now know what else I need. I am looking for atleast one more ingredient that I can add for increased yield/aroma and one ingredient that will help to allow the plants to take up more nutes. Can you help me decide which products to purchase?

I will grow the moms (2) out in soil and then take clones, place in rapid rooters, then, when ready, put into the hydro buckets to finish out there cycle. What media should I put around the rapid rooters when I put them into the net pots?

I have four strains, Blue Mystic, Hollands Hoop, Top 44, and WYD. Which strain do you think will be the most forgiving on newbie type mistakes.

--The Questions--

Here are all of the questions from above put together for conveinence.

(1) What hydro additive should I buy for increased yield and aroma?
-(1a) Isn't there a product named Koolbloom that does this?
-(1b)Has anyone tried it before?

(2) What hydro additive should I buy for increased root uptake of the nutrients?

(3) Which strain, WYD, Blue Mystic, Top 44, or Hollands Hoop is the most forgiving of newbie type mistakes.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Please leave any comments

Peace

GreatLakes THC

Veteran
Sounds like things are coming along well. You're on the right track.
(1) The Protekt is good stuff I would recommend that, as far as aroma I wouldn't worry about that. You should have plenty of aroma without adding anything. You're nutes should work just fine for yields without any other ingredients. Just gradually increase the strength and you won't have to worry about nute lockout. Take notes on this grow so that the next time you run these strains you'll know what to expect and then tweak things in your subsequent grows to increase yields. You're yields should be nice in this first grow too.

(2) Protekt

(3) I haven't grown any of those strains, but if you remember to keep it simple they should all work well for you.

Good Luck,
GreatLakes THC

G

Thank you

Thank you

Hello,

GreatLakes THC- Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Peace