What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

Lord Doobie

since many don't have a way to drain to waste, it's recommended to just practice watering and soon, you've have very little runoff....a few drops...which you can catch on a rag

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Happy New Year! I am about to start my own little hempy buckets setup, and was wondering if in a 5'Wx6L'x15'h space, would it be benneficial to run a 250w t5 fixture for vegging and a 400w hps for flowering? I currently have a 1000w hps, but I don't want to burn my plants or by moving the light higher, stretch them out. I can get a lower watt hps, but don't know what would be my best route? Also....how long can I store nutes? Do they expire?

T

TylerDurden

Happy New Year to you too dubwise! :wave: I have a 400w hps right now in a 2'Wx4'Lx6'H area and its great. If it were a 4x4 square it would probably be at its optimum efficiency . I think a 250w t5 fixture for vegging and a 400w hps for flowering would be great. I might consider a 600w hps for flowering if you got the space. Thats just me though :D Im not sure how long you can store nutes but I would guess that the bottle would say. Hope you enjoy growing in Hempy buckets, peace.

Mr. Durden :joint:

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
thank you Mr. Durden. Is there a noticable difference in yield with a 600w:400w? In your opinion, is the yield greater then the energy consumed? I'm also curious as to the great light schedule controversy 24:18/6, under t5's do you need to give your plants a "break"? Thanks again.

T

TylerDurden

Hahaha yea I think its on dubwise, my bad for not gettin back to your question
sooner. I cant say for sure if there is a major difference between a 600w and a 400w
or any difference at all cause all I have used is a 400w but IMHO I dont think it would
matter all that much. The only reason I didnt get a 600w first is because I would like
to have an air cooled hood for anything over 400w and I didnt have the cash for one
when I started. If you got the money though Id go with the 600w, itll probably only
run you another $10-15 bucks a month to run (my 400 only costs about $20-30 a
month). About the light schedule, I read a really good article on the difference
between running the lights 24 vs 18/6 during the vegetative stage a while back. Ill try
and dig it up and post it on here but from what I can remember, it basically said
plants focus more of their energy on developing root mass during the dark period and
focus more on top growth when the lights are on. Developing a good root mass is
pretty important as you can imagine and in theory will help your plants take up
nutrients more efficiently as they mature. That being said, I have tried both 24 hours
of light in veg and 18/6 and cant tell too much of a difference in the visible growth so
now I always keep it on 18/6 just to be sure. Besides, when plants are in their natural
environment they arent ever exposed to 24 hours of light a day and in my experience,
things tend to work better in an artificial environment when their natural environment
is most accurately replicated. I hope that helps some, Ill try to find that article for
you to clear up anything else :smoke: Take it easy.

Mr. Durden :joint:

Happy New Year! I am about to start my own little hempy buckets setup, and was wondering if in a 5'Wx6L'x15'h space, would it be benneficial to run a 250w t5 fixture for vegging and a 400w hps for flowering? I currently have a 1000w hps, but I don't want to burn my plants or by moving the light higher, stretch them out. I can get a lower watt hps, but don't know what would be my best route? Also....how long can I store nutes? Do they expire?

Dubwise, I say that you absolutely should run that 1000W. Atmospheric heat won't be a problem since you've got that huge vertical dimension. Just raise the rig high enough so that the intense light doesn't burn the plants. That radiation will penetrate the canopy more than nicely. So, you'll get serious yield that will more than pay for itself. (The stretching only occurs if you don't have enough light to go around.)

As for the vegging solution, it depends on how big the grow space is. What dimensions are we talking about here? If it's the same 5x6'... then you might want to go with a 600W just to save some electricity. But, then you'll also have more equipment to pay for up front. So, even then you still might want to go keep the 1000W. There's no one answer to this, of course.

Personally, I veg a mom and clones under a 400W MH in a 3x3' space. This keeps my 1000W grow space chock full in perpetual grow arrangement. My clones begin life in a standard 50-plant tray + humidity dome lit by a 65W CFL. I'd show ya pics but the site's apparently undergoing mainenance right now and that ain't workin'.

P

purpledomgoddes

has anybody tried pure clay cat litter and/or diatomaceous earth as a substitute for perlite? 25# bag of oil absorbent at auto parts stores?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Mr. Durden-thanks so much for the information! It is greatly appreciated!
P4P-Thanks too for the great info!
my veg area is 6'x4'x6', I've got a 250w t5 on as we speak. So far one plant is doing great and i'm waiting for my other little beans to pop.
I'm going to run my 1000w hps in my flowering cab, just put up that mylar that blocks IR, so I believe we should be good on that. We need to finish the drying cab and we'll be in business.
The hps is vented w/ 4" inline on one end. I intend to add a 4" to the other end w/ filtration before we go into flower.
This hempy buckets are easy as hell! I've got another indoor garden where we've got some veggies about to kick off the new year. 2 veg cabs (250-t5) 1 huge flower table, Ebb & Flow (4'x4') and 8 water farms, all under a 1000w hps parabolic set up.
I scraped the E&F and the waterfarms for the hempy buckets. Seems to be so much easier.

P4P-Thanks too for the great info!
my veg area is 6'x4'x6', I've got a 250w t5 on as we speak.

Sure thing, my man. For that veg area size... I'd run 2x 400W CMH with air-cooled hoods in series. The heat should be controllable and the light intensity/distribution will be ideal.

As for the hempy buckets compared to other growing methods, it's absolutely great. Just make sure that you keep an eye on the run off water. Maintain the pH and nutrient concentration at their proper levels. I water every other day at 5.8 pH with a 1/3 strengh. One day a week I supply 150ppm at 6.5ph to set things back to ideal. That's about all it takes. You may want to adjust a little bit after very humid/dry days.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
thanks again! I really appreciate all the help. We've got some seeds started and just cant wait to be independant! I'll update as it gets going.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
well we've used the hempy buckets on 5 plants so far with terrific results....the plants grew and are growing very well. The first ended up being a fella, so we removed him after collecting pollen...I was blown away at the root development! They were white and running wild all inside that bucket...
We've got four in veg right now, and they look great (hope their ladies).
We've also started about 40 tomatoes and in one month are seeing wonderful results. I transplanted 14 two days ago out of mini hempy buckets into hydroton into my ebb & flow table, transplanting was a mess, but overall pretty easy.
Thank you all who helped with great information and positive vibes.

Chillum

Hi and hello:)

I live in Finland, and the summer here isn't great, so about our only out-door option here is the Autoflowering strains..
I was thinking about trying a sort of Hempy Bucket outdoors, but with soil (earth?) instead of vermiculite, and have about 10cm of Perlite in the bottom, of a 10L bucket or so.

The point is that it would act somewhat lite an AutoWatering pot. (So i don't have to visit my out-door spot that often)
And Since Perlite/vermiculite is quite expensive here up north I would like to try with soil instead (+ the layer of perlite in the bottom to give the roots a more "air"ie enviroment.)

Any experiences, tips or so would be appreciated.
Best regards//Chillum

I was thinking about trying a sort of Hempy Bucket outdoors, but with soil (earth?) instead of vermiculite, and have about 10cm of Perlite in the bottom, of a 10L bucket or so.

Mmmm... I suspect that you'll leave soil overly saturated which will lead to root rot. Coco coir would be a better idea.

im kinna shocked that this is the only thread for the hempy style of growing on IC???....unless ive missed some other threads/grows...if so anyone willing to point me in the right direction......im a member at some other fourms and the hempy is a big hit at a lot of em..anyhoo the hempy will be my first style of growing!!!...everyone be easy..tommy

Y

YosemiteSam

Straight Perlite Hempies

Straight Perlite Hempies

Will be chopping Sat. Simple as could be. Used FloraNova and kept the EC adjusted so that runoff stayed around a 1.7-2 EC...generally that meant feeding around a 1.5. pH was kept between 5.8 and 6.2 until the last 3 weeks when it was raised to 6.5 to make a little more phosphorous available

Picture 004.jpg .

Will be chopping Sat. Simple as could be. Used FloraNova and kept the EC adjusted so that runoff stayed around a 1.7-2 EC...generally that meant feeding around a 1.5. pH was kept between 5.8 and 6.2 until the last 3 weeks when it was raised to 6.5 to make a little more phosphorous available

View attachment 9556 .
YosemiteSam man that pic of ya buds looks good!!!...how many plants?,and is that a scrog screen ic in the pic?,and what size buckets did you use??....be easy..tommy

Y

YosemiteSam

Tommiboy...that is 10 plants under 2200 watts. No scrog screen...when they started falling over from weight I took some bamboo (6/bucket) and duct taped them to the outside of the buckets. Then I just started tying down everything that was falling over...even ended wrapping twine around all of the stakes to create a ghetto tomato cage effect. Not the prettiest thing in the world but it worked...next time, real tomato cages.

Those 10 plants yielded right at 3 lbs.

Tommiboy...that is 10 plants under 2200 watts. No scrog screen...when they started falling over from weight I took some bamboo (6/bucket) and duct taped them to the outside of the buckets. Then I just started tying down everything that was falling over...even ended wrapping twine around all of the stakes to create a ghetto tomato cage effect. Not the prettiest thing in the world but it worked...next time, real tomato cages.

Those 10 plants yielded right at 3 lbs.
10 plants=3lbs :yoinks::yoinks::yoinks::yoinks: man i can't wait to grow hempy bucket style!!!

so basically you can add pretty much any nutes to thie formula as long as its at full strength? im kinda confused on how much that really is say if im using the basic GH 3 part series. Also is skys the limit with nutes here? Is there more additives i can use?

Latest posts

Latest posts