What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How can I keep from falling asleep right after ingesting cannabis?

Joe fukko

Hello all, I wasn't sure what sub-forum to post this in, but if possible I'd appreciate any advice on how to not just fall asleep after ingesting cannabis. I am a medicinal cannabis patient using it for anxiety and insomnia related issues mostly, but my problem is that no matter what time of day, what kind of strain, or method of consumption I use, I always end up falling asleep/feeling extremely tired.
While this is great for when I can't sleep, it isn't so great for when I'm trying to get anything done during the day. I even start to get a headache and become irritable after smoking if I don't take a nap within 2 hours or so after ingestion (smoking, vaping, eating, it all makes me sleepy).

I've tried drinking coffee and other sources of caffeine, but that generally will end up heightening and/or inducing anxiety. Other supplements such as ginko biloba, gotu kola, ginseng, etc. don't seem to be able to keep me awake either. If I keep busy to try to stay awake, I end up with a headache and become grumpy that I can't take a nap. I'm at a loss for what to do about this... it didn't happen as much when I was dabbing multiple times a day and had a very high tolerance, but I simply cannot go back to being that medicated all the time (I don't have the money or desire to consume that much anymore). My tolerance is fairly low now and I have taken to almost always only smoking at night before bed. I use a CBD isolate tincture also to try to combat anxiety which seems to be somewhat effective, but not nearly as much as something with THC and other cannabinoids. I'm trying my damndest to ween myself off of benzodiazepines for anxiety by substituting with cannabis which works fine at night or when I can sleep soon after consumption, but I need to find a way to make this work during the day.

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated; thank you very much for taking time to read this! I hope all of you are doing well. :thank you:

Go to sleep untill you dont get tired when you smoke weed.

ozzieAI

Veteran
add terpenes to your recipes (2% at the most)...try essential lemon/orange oil....high 90%'s in limonene.....

ion

naps are the most highly underrated activity on the planet, take as many as possible then take more.

if'n need'n awake, a big ol caterpillar of the bolivian marching powder would work.

Just Kidd'n!!!!

T

Teddybrae

Just wanted to say I eat Mango Haze from 'CBD CREW'. It's Sativa content is not so strong when it's crossed with a high CBD plant like the'... Crew' does it.
But if you're cooking then you can produce sleepy cookies. It's how you cook. Icmag member MJPassion knows about this and how to avoid it. He will probly explain if you ask him.
Cheers!

Also try CBD-rich sativa leaning hybrids for daytime "smokes". These types don't hit nearly as hard as potent THC-only smokes. The effect is more calm and "centered" than with THC-only weed. Imo, the effect is closer to traditional hash (Leb, Moroc...) than to THC-rich indoor weed.

CBD-will moderate the effect of THC but won't change how the other compounds will affect you, as you know from your experiments with CBD isolate. = Indicas will still feel somewhat stoney and sativas still feel "high", but if some types of sativas will give you paranoia, it could be that CBD-rich version of the same strain would still feel somewhat "edgy".

There are also "easy going sativas" out there you just have to find them. I don't like many sativas either, so i can't give you much advice on those.
:)

HeyImVegan

As someone who typically stays up all night smoking (well vaporizing, smoking flower is gross and ineffective), every new strain knocks me out for 2-3 days before I can master it to the point that smoking more keeps me awake indefinitely.

Stick with one strain for a week rather than trying a new one every day.

Dog Star

Veteran
It will be good to have electric neclace like those for dog training.. but she will
activate only if you close your eyes for longer than 5 seconds..

am sees already in future somebody will patent that shit for tired stoners and
those ones who goes long rides to home after work time.. so they dont
get sleep in a car and made mayhem on a road killing self and others..

sleeping is dangerous if you work with machinery..

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
As someone who typically stays up all night smoking (well vaporizing, smoking flower is gross and ineffective), every new strain knocks me out for 2-3 days before I can master it to the point that smoking more keeps me awake indefinitely.

Stick with one strain for a week rather than trying a new one every day.
Welcome to ICMag!! :D
I can see you haven't smoked clean, trichome dense and terpene rich cannabis yet. ;) You have a wonderful experience ahead of you some day. :D

Who gets this "knock-out" effect and has access to terpene profiles of the samples? I'm interested in the myrcene and CBN content of them.

therevverend

Veteran
When I get sleepy like that the only thing that keeps me awake is getting on my feet. No matter what I'm doing if I'm sitting down the sleepiness will creep up on me. Usually the sleepy period doesn't last long, as the cannabis starts to wear off the sleepiness will go away quickly. The trick is moving around for the 45 minutes to an hour you're at risk.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
last year i screwed the dose up on some edibles. i realized that high levels of thc are psychedelic i easily ingested thousands of mg's of thc. i was a fried unit for a few days