What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cefuroxime - Any Experience With ?

St. Phatty

What is Cefuroxime like ?

It is supposed to be an extra-strong antibiotic.

I'm supposed to start a Chemo-therapy type session with the medication for 2 weeks, starting Monday, for the multiple tooth infection & upper jaw infection & sinus infection.

On the Good Cannabis side, my gums are a lot less inflamed so I can partake of the Genus Rastafarianus a little bit more. The Blueberry Headband kind :woohoo:

I have a friend whose wife ended up in the hospital with a sinus infection, and she was not cured until they cut in with the anti-virals.

Having taken Acyclovir for The Big H, I know that my body tolerates it well. It's a general purpose anti-viral.

So I am pushing everybody involved to let me do a treatment with anti-viral meds, before going to the heavier duty antibiotics.

Partially because of what happened with the friend's wife. Antibiotics did not keep her out of the hospital.

But officially they want to start me on Cefuroxime. It's supposed to be a really good antibiotic. It's also the path the friend's wife went down (Cefuroxime before anti-virals).

In the last 3 months, I've taken Cephalexin, Penicillin, and Amoxicillin (a form of Penicillin). Obviously the infection I have is antibiotic resistant.

So I'm thinking - how about an anti-viral medication ?

I've been doing web searches on sinus infections. Most of them are described as having a strong virus component or being mostly (99% etc) viral.

Why do the doctors save the anti-viral for last ?

Why make the patient go through the 2 weeks of chemo-therapy hell, with an antibiotic - until it's proven necessary ?

I had an appointment Friday and another one with a possibly better dentist Monday.

Trying to keep the Tooth Death Count from the infection at 3, i.e. 3 root canals.

Mengsk

The infection might be in a space physically difficult to get to for the drugs. Walled off or in a capsule of some sort, not freely accessible to the blood stream to get the same drug concentration. Might as well take it if that's what was prescribed, although I agree or value your thoughts I'm not about to suggest otherwise or give medical advice. Once I had an ear infection and after reading the label for the ear drops given to me at the emergency room I called back and asked if the sheet they gave me was correct. The label in the box of ear drops said do not use with ruptured ear drum and the paper they gave me with my name on it said ruptured ear drum. When I called to try and speak with someone at the hospital they said do not use the ear drops. I did not think to ask if I was charged for or may receive a refund for the ear drops.

Recently I had a root canal that may have went three or four years unchecked. I had somewhat of an epiphany and have a whole theory about what happened with the physiology of the infection. However since no doctor caught it, or have not seen or heard my case, I do not really have corroborating evidence for my story. I don't want to get preachy but there is a list of things (all legal) which are known to be bad for us, known killers. Candy (eating raw sugar or two packs of candy canes more than once per year), alcohol or alcoholism, food especially the red meat and cholesterol variety, drugs in general other than cannabis. Caffeine constricts blood vessels. I am not saying one cup per day is evil or anything, just consider what it means to have a baseline of zero. Consume water for a few weeks and then read your blood pressure and heart rate. In a time and place where drive through lines at night for double and triple caffeine shots are common. Those things some people many of us view as "in moderation" are pretty much the risk factors. Nutrition is key. I recommend more better cannabis edibles. I am not sure if it is restarting cannabis use, cutting out alcohol, cutting out chips/candy, being strictly vegan, or spending a lot of time and money on nutrition (vegan vitamins and/or raw meal replacement shake, raw trail mix which sounds contrary to having a root canal). Cocoa butter or olive oil, coconut oil, MCTs, as an actual skin moisturizer instead of bottled lotion. Natural soap that costs more but don't use as much. Total health nut stuff but nobody has necessarily always been that way. And also it is personal, or people might not like anyone medical in their business with food or the kitchen. My story really needs some organization for legibility but to sum up I cleared all the toxins, both the real obvious toxins and many of the less tangible or snake oil toxins from my body and life. And focused on nutrition. Together with those I felt the infection leave from the side of my head where my tooth was infected. I was limping and my hand didn't quite work as well with typing and stuff. Which I did not actually realize at the time, nearly attributed it to normal aging or some such thing. After receiving the root canal which I am super grateful for - here is an example of a doctor doing good - I did not take any pills this time around. Hopefully I will not return to the dentist for such a procedure. With proper nutrition, more so than flossing, although I do have GSK sensodyne with novamin and natural coconut oil charcoal toothpaste and charcoal powder and act restoring mouthwash and oral b electric toothbrush, cavities are reduced or prevented. The six month tooth cleaning polish and checkup is nice although the oral b electric toothbrush works nearly the same.

St. Phatty

The infection might be in a space physically difficult to get to for the drugs. Walled off or in a capsule of some sort, not freely accessible to the blood stream to get the same drug concentration.

Recently I had a root canal that may have went three or four years unchecked. I had somewhat of an epiphany and have a whole theory about what happened with the physiology of the infection. However since no doctor caught it, or have not seen or heard my case, I do not really have corroborating evidence for my story. I don't want to get preachy but there is a list of things (all legal) which are known to be bad for us, known killers. Candy

The six month tooth cleaning polish and checkup is nice although the oral b electric toothbrush works nearly the same.

Sorry to hear about your problems. 3 or 4 years where it was infected ?

For many of us, there are 2 kinds of molecular acid, that destroy the teeth. One is the un-controlled infection that I recently got to experience, killed a tooth from the inside and left 2 others permanently painful but not in official root canal territory.

The other is sugar.

I used to consume a lot more, always sat at the computer with a chamomile tea with honey.

That all took its toll, and it stopped in October 2008. Then my sugar habit started up again last Thanksgiving.

I have a 2 liter bottle of Sierra Mist, my favorite, that I opened back when the infection started around August 2018. Knowing the effect sugar has on my teeth, and how much I wanted to not depend on the local dentists, I have not touched that Sierra mist for 4 months. Haven't opened the bottle either, so it probably has the full amount of fizz :woohoo:

No Sugar == to deal with the "Molecular Acid" on the outside

For the "Molecular Acid" on the inside, 2x 500 mg of Amoxicillin while I am passing the time waiting for the next fork in the road.

One of the interesting things is how important the nerves are - and how important it is to listen to them, including pain.

I have found out the hard way that changes in cold sensitivity are a very good indicator of an active infection.

Not cold sensitivity alone - I've always had that. But when there's changes in cold sensitivity, especially it getting more painful, that is a sign of Tooth infection.

Latest posts

Latest posts