What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Proper way to decontaminate room after russet mite invasion without breaking the ban?

It is us who brings them in. Clothing. When I have any pest issues I work clean plants first. Wash hands change clothes after ANY contact with infected plants. Brushing against a plant is all it takes.

Very good info but since these cabs are in a my room id guess id just have to try to keep my room close to laboratory clean with bleach pretty often. After the unbridled hell ive been through ill go a extra million miles to prevent this. Cleaning my hands with alcohol putting a clean shirt on wouldnt be too hard. Never had em before though and everybody says ditch the old mediums and soil when this happens so probably still need to toss it.

Ps its not just soil or us that bring em in the most common vectors for russet mites is small flies and moths.....i know this from 20+ hrs of pouring through posts and articles over the last few days lol

I think Bud Green Sr already answered my question about bleach strength now that i look back. He said 1 cup a gallon which is a 1:16 ratio i'll use that treat the bad soil i know for a fact people spray yards with solutions stronger then that with no issues. Plus i can drench the soil as i spread it to dilute the bleach when it goes out into the yard.

Last edited:

beta

Veteran
Very good info but since these cabs are in a my room id guess id just have to try to keep my room close to laboratory clean with bleach pretty often. After the unbridled hell ive been through ill go a extra million miles to prevent this. Cleaning my hands with alcohol putting a clean shirt on wouldnt be too hard. Never had em before though and everybody says ditch the old mediums and soil when this happens so probably still need to toss it.

Ps its not just soil or us that bring em in the most common vectors for russet mites is small flies and moths.....i know this from 20+ hrs of pouring through posts and articles over the last few days lol

Hemp Russet mites are host dependent. If you don't have someone near you who has an infestation on their cannabis plants, they are not coming from outside. HRM cannot live on anything other than cannabis / hemp.

Here is an option to treat the plants still flowering. I have used predators in the past to combat 2 spotted spider mite with great success and am currently using these as a preventive in both veg and flower........

https://www.evergreengrowers.com/he...russet-mite-control/amblyseius-andersoni.html

Best of luck, I feel your pain.

I wish all i had was spider mites lol but that is good info ive seen in my searches that it will attack hemp russet mites as well even though they are smaller. Ive been looking at them and they dont get good reviews on amazon for the various predator mites but that might just be a supplier issue and will look at the site you posted a link to. Thanks for the sympathy i think ive halfway made my peace with the fact that i might be dry and barren till the end of summer. Im irradiating my room before starting anything again thats for sure and might impliment non toxic pyrethrins and predatory mites as well as hygiene management like mushroombrew talked about into future IPM strategies.

Hemp Russet mites are host dependent. If you don't have someone near you who has an infestation on their cannabis plants, they are not coming from outside. HRM cannot live on anything other than cannabis / hemp.

Yeah i highly doubt they have any hosts in my area could be wrong but doubtful. I guess my main concern is the unopened bags of promix garden soil i got and whether they came from it.

Its hard to tell under 60x but i could actually have broad mites not russets and im not anywhere near the west coast where russets are common. In all likelyhood they are broads and the more i see pics of broads under 60x the more i think thats the case. They were either in my potting mix or more likely traveled in on a moth/fly or got on my clothes as mushroombrew said. Treatment plan is identical for either one though.

Both the Anderson and Swirskii https://www.evergreengrowers.com/amblyseius-swirskii-slow-release-2894.html will prey on the smaller mites, ie russet, hemp, broad...at all stages of development.

I would not post the info if I did not believe in the solution.

Order predators from a green house supplier. Let Amazon do their own thing

Arbico, Buglogical, GreenMethod, Evergreen Growers Supply, Natures Control.

:tiphat:

:tiphat:Oh i belive you bro ive read a dozen articles have heard of both those and a few others too. I'll check em out as that might be the only option this deep in flower and i want to integrate them into my future IPM strategy anyways. I figured the issues on amazon are probably caused by expired products.

beta

Veteran
Yeah i highly doubt they have any hosts in my area could be wrong but doubtful. I guess my main concern is the unopened bags of promix garden soil i got and whether they came from it.

Again, they need a host to survive, so unless your soil manufacturer has cannabis plants in their facility AND you got a batch within a couple weeks of it leaving said facility, they are not coming from your soil.

But from exhaustive searches ive seen that the only way to be completely rid of em is to tear down and completely decontaminate everything. Somebody said on a forum there is no way to be totally rid of them that involves your plant staying alive lol. But the predators could help my NL ladies out for the next 6wks and be a part of the IPM for sure.

beta

Veteran
Its hard to tell under 60x but i could actually have broad mites not russets and im not anywhere near the west coast where russets are common. In all likelyhood they are broads and the more i see pics of broads under 60x the more i think thats the case. They were either in my potting mix or more likely traveled in on a moth/fly or got on my clothes as mushroombrew said. Treatment plan is identical for either one though.

The treatment is not identical - You need to identify your pest before you begin treatment. With broads, you need to be much more concerned with re-infection from other plants on your property. Part of broad mite treatment is removing other host plants. HRM only live in hemp / cannabis.

It's easy to tell the difference. Broads have eggs with bumps on them, and HRM are spindle shaped.

Again, they need a host to survive, so unless your soil manufacturer has cannabis plants in their facility AND you got a batch within a couple weeks of it leaving said facility, they are not coming from your soil.

Your correct if they are hemp russets but im becoming increasingly convinced they are broad mites

The treatment is not identical - You need to identify your pest before you begin treatment. With broads, you need to be much more concerned with re-infection from other plants on your property. Part of broad mite treatment is removing other host plants. HRM only live in hemp / cannabis.

It's easy to tell the difference. Broads have eggs with bumps on them, and HRM are spindle shaped.

I'll look more later when i get off work cant find many on my NL ladies i might look at the kandy kush corpses for better identification they were covered. By same treatment i mean the same chemicals work on both and cleaning the room is the same. This is indoors so all i can do is clean inside no way i could remove the grass and all the plants around my house. I could spray pesticides outside though and/or release predatory mites. Im more than half sure they are broads after studying pics online i'll post when i confirm their identity its one or the other i know that for sure. And we have no other houseplants or anything in the house to serve as a host fyi.

Not sure i can see the eggs under 60x though that may be because their are not many on the NLs. After finding them on the KKs i just drenched them in 91% since the plant was far gone and chopped them then stuffed them in a trash bag. Might be able to see some eggs still unless the iso melted them or something. My battle plan for both is the same indoors and am going to apply pesticides then introduce predatory mites all over my yards either way.

Last edited:
Im nowhere near the west coast or midwest where i hear the HRMs are more common so logic lends me to think broads are the likely culprit. Gtg to work will inspect the crime scene more later and update yall

Confirmed identity under 60x they are broad mites though i suppose i could have both lmao. I have to laugh at this point or i'll cry it matches the shape and whiteish translucent bodies ive seen of broadmites online and i can see the 4 little legs scurrying around in the front. Pics of russet mites ive seen look more tan in color and have worm/maggot like bodies and dont look like mine. It was hard to see even with 60x i had to hold it up against the hps to get a bright enough light to really see them. Gonna look up predatory mites and mighty wash and see if theres something i can do they still look healthy so maybe theres hope.

Here is an option to treat the plants still flowering. I have used predators in the past to combat 2 spotted spider mite with great success and am currently using these as a preventive in both veg and flower........

https://www.evergreengrowers.com/he...russet-mite-control/amblyseius-andersoni.html

Best of luck, I feel your pain.

I missed the order deadline by 4hrs or something and that was for if i want it to ship out next wed. Says i gotta wait till like next wed to place a order now which wont ship for a week after placing it. So basically id get them after the party is over so wont help me this time but will still get some for preventative treatments down the road.

I ordered some big time exterminator and a bottle of green cleaner they are the best take down sprays i can find that are safe enough in flower. They will arrive saturday i'll update on how well they work. Still tearing down and bleaching everything even if it does.

Green cleaner works as a fungicide too so hopefully that'll help prevent bud rot from repeat take down sprays. Both products dont burn the plant, can be used up till harvest though id quit a week before flush and they dont build up immunity to them.

Last edited:
As long as the broads dont have some russet friends hiding somewhere i think im better off. Been reading articles and they are said to have "delicate" egg shells. The females burrow into stems or something during winter while russet mite eggs overwinter by themselves. This leads me to belive the broad mites eggs should be destroyed readily through the decon process and be less likely to hang around as much as the russets. I admit this might be wishful thinking but after reading up this appears to be the case.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I am going through cleaning the green house for this years crop, washing the walls and everything with water then spraying chlorine mix, cleaning the seedling tables. I am not sure if the chlorine mix is strong enough to kill any eggs, those fuckers might of laid in the cracks and crevices. There are so many green houses out here now they are probably in the air.

I am going through cleaning the green house for this years crop, washing the walls and everything with water then spraying chlorine mix, cleaning the seedling tables. I am not sure if the chlorine mix is strong enough to kill any eggs, those fuckers might of laid in the cracks and crevices. There are so many green houses out here now they are probably in the air.

They get carried either on your person or through the air on whiteflies and small moths otherwise the mites themselves can only travel very short distances. A 10% bleach solution ought to kill any organisim so as long as you soak every crack you will get em. Russet eggs are hardier they overwinter alone but i actually got broad mites which have delicate eggs. I just gotta get rid of everything and bleach the room down and should get rid of them all.

Since they cant travel far i can take my time to get rid of the bad soil if i seal the bags in thick contractor bags. Then i'll open the bags one at a time, pour strong bleach water into them and throw the soil away overtime in the household garbage. Trying to steralize 40 cu ft of soil and either throw it in the garbage or spread in the yard all at once wouldnt be practical. I'll tape the seams of the bags shut and periodically wipe the outside of them with bleach in case anythings trying to get out.

beta

Veteran
Heat treating is a LOT easier than all of this bleaching / cleaning / wipe down nonsense. 120F for 2 hours, done.