Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Hemp > The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

Thread Title Search
The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2013, 12:24 PM #11
Rinse

Rinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really nice
Anyone know what is the most common type grown in Hungary?
I can get bags of organic Hungarian hemp seed from local health shops.

Rinse is offline Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 PM #12
Only Ornamental
Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist

Only Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud of
@ Thule: Fresh 'n fruity sounds nice, the pine forest though... Well, I'll see for myself .

@ Rinse: Hungary seemingly has the most different cultivars, a high diversity of actually cultivated varieties, and the most 'easy-going' regulations on hemp cultivation and hemp strains. Quite a few of those have a too high amount of THC for EU approval. I suppose that you can't guess a hungarian cultivar successfully when looking at a seed cause the location of the retailer tells you nothing and not even the exact place of cultivation is of any help.
Not even in France, where only 3 main cultivars out of over 20 are grown (theoretically ~30% chance to guess correctly), is there a chance of guessing the variety determination because seeds from food shops come often from Eastern Europe... (Sorry for the phrase, it sounds awful... had a sleepless night)

Please spare a 'like', a dear friend of mine could need some motivation. Thanks!

Brainer on Retainer
: Why not rent a brain by the hour?
OO now on time-sharing
Only Ornamental is offline Quote

Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 AM #13
Only Ornamental
Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist

Only Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud of
Just wanted to cross-reference some older nice threads here on icmag about wild hemp and breeding with hemp. They're worth the while reading .

Breeding with wild hemp
Ruderalis picked from the wild five days ago...
wild in Bulgaria acres of ruderalis

Please spare a 'like', a dear friend of mine could need some motivation. Thanks!

Brainer on Retainer
: Why not rent a brain by the hour?
OO now on time-sharing
Only Ornamental is offline Quote

Old 10-04-2013, 02:32 PM #14
oldchuck

oldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud of
Thank you, OO.
oldchuck is offline Quote

Old 10-05-2013, 09:57 PM #15
melty

melty will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchuck View Post
Thank you, OO.
Here here. Really great thread...and very inspiring. My knowledge of hemp varieties needs to increase.
melty is offline Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 06:19 AM #16
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

Sam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a list of hemp varieties from 20 years ago, with backround info.

https://www.internationalhempassociat.../iha02207.html

-SamS
Sam_Skunkman is offline Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 AM #17
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

Sam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond reputeSam_Skunkman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thule View Post
Access, sure It's my breakfast. This years seeds won't be out before winter but organic shops probably have some stock left. I've sent links to people in the past so I could probably look one up.

Btw, I don't think finola is a ruderalis cross.. they just share a common origin.. a long time ago.
Finola is Russian but not fully Ruderalis, I am sure.

-SamS

Last edited by Sam_Skunkman; 12-25-2017 at 08:54 AM..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 AM #18
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

Finola is not fully autoflowering. It starts flowering even under long photoperiod, it finishes flowering unlike many autos. It is determinate.
-SamS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Ornamental View Post
Well, well, well... I would have found it myself if I'd searched for 'hampunsiemen'... but I don't speak Finnish (not even Swedish)... Thanks a lot though!
Now I just have to figure out how to buy it on a page where I don't know where to click; to my eyes it's as bad as a Chinese site LoL.

As said, Finola is allegedly a ruderalis cross... the one thing sure is that it originates from the VIR seed stock in Hungary and was 'created' not thaaaat long ago.
Is there a reason why you think so? Doesn't it look/taste/smell like ruderalis or what else? Either it's its appearance (my opinion doesn't count, I've only seen pictures) or the auto-flowering trait which led people believing in the ruderalis story, I guess.

Last edited by Sam_Skunkman; 12-25-2017 at 08:55 AM..

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:44 AM #19
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

Finola is a cross of two Arctic variaties from the VIR #313 and #315, neither are fully autoflowering. They are both wild land races from Siberia.
I crossed them and gave a kilo of "Finola 314" to Jace up in Finland. Jace and a Finnish farmer colleague did the work to stabilize Finola 314 and bring it to market.
This was in the mid 1990's, I did the work in the Netherlands, Jace did his work in Finland. He needed an extra early variety for Finland and VIR 313 and VIR 315 were the two earliest low THC varieties in my seed collection. They were given to me by the VIR, I grew and reproduced the 100 or so of each. In a few seasons I have enough to share with Jace.
-SamS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thule View Post
Actually Vavilov institute in Russia. It's a cross of two Russian landraces, atleast one of which originates in Siberia, where you wouldn't expect to find anything but autoflowering varieties, even in hemp. Yeah, it doesn't look smell nor taste like ruderalis.. but I never saw any Russian rudies, just European ones. The thing is, when fresh, finola seeds sprout in hours after soaking. Ruderalis takes 5 months. Finola is about as domestic as it gets but there's no doubt in my mind that it originates from the Russian ruderalis genepool.. thousands of years ago.

Last edited by Sam_Skunkman; 12-25-2017 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 06:50 AM #20
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

For people looking for CBD hemp is not what you are looking for, hemps CBD levels are real low, just a few %. You are better off getting a CBD clone from someone, they can be up to 15%-30% CBD with or without THC also.
-SamS

Last edited by Sam_Skunkman; 12-25-2017 at 08:51 AM..