What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quantum Boards

I use Far Red Deep Red and InfraRed and I find improvements in growth patterns than without over a couple years observation. Quantum Boards are legit from what I have seen here and elsewhere. The color spectrum I believe is 3000k which has most of the IR,Deep Red, which is good,

morgandecaptain

Beware of buying QB look a likes. Found out a guy bought a QB and sent it to a Chinese company. He told the company he wanted a exact copy for selling on Amazon. Turns out that it's the same company that assembles the boards for the QB guys. So needless to say the company informed the QB guys,karma is a bitch. If I remember right the QB guys spent 1 1/2 years developing and testing these and some sleezebag comes along and tries to profit off their work.

positivity

Veteran
Karma as in I have seen blatant misconduct on their part also.
I have a really low tolerance for led talk as of late and really have no desire to get into it. Gives me a gag reflex and makes me want to puke actually. Just leaving my perspective, as everyone has their own.
The guy offered a board on his thread then left, so what. People want boards right? Community service right? I'm sure he won't be the last.
Already seen a few others on insty the new advertising machine.

morgandecaptain

I'm not looking for a argument and the QB guys can defend themselves but I think I know what you're referring to and I'm pretty sure they can back up their claims about the development of these boards. This guy made exact copies of their product,put them up for sale and advertised it in the QB guys thread,they didn't just use the same LED on a board.

positivity

Veteran
Wasn't there a few lines or symbols on the board missing...
Copiers got copied by another copier but the instigating copier in this case has done less overall copying so I'd say less of a copier..
Alright I'm out cap... Sorry if I intruded but not everyone is so sympathetic

positivity

Veteran
No problem, just can't remember you ever being so negative sounding and it surprised me, especially since your handle is positivity.

Positivity is a goal not a guarantee. Negative sounding would depend on the perspective, some may find it a more positive contribution

I'm sure the lighting industry will sort itself out eventually

Peace ✌

Outlaws Den

Sorry forgot to upload

Attachments

• 20170402_230649 - Copy.jpg
    20170402_230649 - Copy.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 15

morgandecaptain

Very simple frame for a 3 board bar. Two 42 inch long 3/4" aluminum angle rails drilled to match the corner holes on the heatsinks with two 1/2 aluminum angles slightly shorter than the heatsinks pop riveted to the main rails.

Attachments

• IMG_20170412_180015.jpg
    IMG_20170412_180015.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20170412_180039.jpg
    IMG_20170412_180039.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20170412_180031.jpg
    IMG_20170412_180031.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 12

majorana

I saw a couple of Growmau5 youtube videos where he mentions Quantum Boards, but they were always sold out so I dropped it.

The LED Gardner just had a post where he did his DIY version of the build you can read up in the link, which got me thinking.

Besides the advantage of better output (181Lumen/watt!) and better distribution in comparison with COBs, the biggest draw for me to think of building around Samsung LM561C chips is that they don't need a heatsink (going up to 60W per board, according to the Horticulture Lighting Group, who build the Quantum Boards). Being based in Europe passive heatsinks are pretty much the biggest expense with DIY COB builds (due to weight/shipping).

So, does anybody here have experience building with these Samsung LEDs? I couldn't find on Digikey the bars mentioned by The LED Gardner, and soldering 3300 individual LEDs together in chains (aiming at 600W draw) is not something I wish upon myself. Any help, ideas, or best shared experience would be warmly thanked.

:huggg:

majorana

P.S.,

A more careful read of the Gardner's post (i.e., also the comments) led me to the strips he used: 1510-1585-ND.

Doing the math for 100 of those + drivers it doesn't to be any cheaper than my original plan of building more COB fixtures. But 181lpw (vs. my current 173lpw with Vero29B@1.05A; about 5% better efficiency) + better coverage/spread is still enough to think this might be worth a try.

Just please don't buy all of the stock! LOL

Juan Budd

P.S.,

A more careful read of the Gardner's post (i.e., also the comments) led me to the strips he used: 1510-1585-ND.

Doing the math for 100 of those + drivers it doesn't to be any cheaper than my original plan of building more COB fixtures. But 181lpw (vs. my current 173lpw with Vero29B@1.05A; about 5% better efficiency) + better coverage/spread is still enough to think this might be worth a try.

Just please don't buy all of the stock! LOL

Hi majorana

saw your post over at the Vero thread and followed it here.

This is new kit to me (I had a glance at the QBs previously but not seen the Samsung strips). Thank you for bringing them to my attention, they may be just what I'm looking for a side lighting experiment I've got in mind (was thinking CFL's but these potentially much better).

They look very suitable for supplementary lighting and micro-grows but I think there might be a lack of penetration as main lighting for a larger tent particularly in comparison with COB and reflector combinations. Could maybe use the 560mm version (or at a push, the shorter ones) for a combination of side lighting and inter-plant lighting to supplement COBs overhead in a four plants in a square arrangement.

The LED Gardener used Digikey part no. 1510-1586-ND (Samsung SI-B8T05128HUS) which is the 4000k version and that has an efficacy of 187lm/w - nice [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
biggrin.gif
[/FONT]

JB.

majorana

The 5000K reaches even 201lm/w (!) but from what I understand 3500 is still the temp to go with, right?

Given that this is all so new maybe I'll stick to the original Bridgelux Vero 29 project, and just try the 1m version of the Samsung (1510-1577-ND /
SI-B8U221B2HUS) when they become available as side lights like you suggested.

A very quick estimate is that I can wire 10 of those in series on a single HLG-240H-C1050 (drawing about ~230W), and see how it effects one side of my grow tent.

I'm doing plenty of mistakes myself in building everything, might as well let somebody else teach me from their mistakes first :)

Juan Budd

The 5000K reaches even 201lm/w (!) but from what I understand 3500 is still the temp to go with, right?

Given that this is all so new maybe I'll stick to the original Bridgelux Vero 29 project, and just try the 1m version of the Samsung (1510-1577-ND /
SI-B8U221B2HUS) when they become available as side lights like you suggested.

A very quick estimate is that I can wire 10 of those in series on a single HLG-240H-C1050 (drawing about ~230W), and see how it effects one side of my grow tent.

I'm doing plenty of mistakes myself in building everything, might as well let somebody else teach me from their mistakes first :)

Many folk are much in favour of 4000k, especially as an all-rounder start to finish light. If you're unit growing (or running autos) in a single tent then they could be just the job. There is a theory (that sounds about right to me) that, to a certain extent, the colour of the light is only partially a factor and increasing the amount of light (as long as it's colour is in the right ball park) is at least as important. ie. more lumens at 4000k may well be better than less at 3500k. You could maybe add some 630nm overhead if you wanted to boost the red a bit.

The fact remains that very little is known about growing using LEDs and there is pretty much nothing available in the way of hard facts. So, give it your best guess and give it a go!

Definitely best to try to learn from the mistakes of others, for you will not have time to make them all yourself [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
biggrin.gif
[/FONT]

JB.