What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Mallitlahuani

Yes I posted a link a while back thanks for bumping it along its a cool article there is not much information around and this is cool.

I've looked online for a long time to find new info about cobs and it seems that that all the information leads to this thread and a few others as well as a couple articles and videos, besides those sources of info there seems to be nothing else online, someone needs to interview some OG Malawi growers who made cobs back in the day!

Tangwena

Veteran
I've looked online for a long time to find new info about cobs and it seems that that all the information leads to this thread and a few others as well as a couple articles and videos, besides those sources of info there seems to be nothing else online, someone needs to interview some OG Malawi growers who made cobs back in the day!

I had planned on going on an African safari to do just that but alas old age has made it very hard and now covid has put the final nail in that idea.
I dont think an outsider would have much luck getting inside information you would need a clued up local to guide you because of the tribal and regional constraints it would be best done by someone with knowledge of the culture, language and respect for the elders.
Just about every area or village would require a modified approach or you would be fed baloney while you were laughed at behind your back.
Its not that easy to access the knowledge we seek especially the real high class cures. All the pics posted on line from Africa are pics of the low quality tourist cobs I haven't seen one of the better cures.
This forum has better pics than anything I've seen posted from Africa online.
To get the special stuff you need local contacts and someone who has access to the good producers its still there but very hard to find and as they legalize the growing of Dagga the people who have access to the knowledge will keep it close knowing full well its value.

Mallitlahuani

I had planned on going on an African safari to do just that but alas old age has made it very hard and now covid has put the final nail in that idea.
I dont think an outsider would have much luck getting inside information you would need a clued up local to guide you because of the tribal and regional constraints it would be best done by someone with knowledge of the culture, language and respect for the elders.
Just about every area or village would require a modified approach or you would be fed baloney while you were laughed at behind your back.
Its not that easy to access the knowledge we seek especially the real high class cures. All the pics posted on line from Africa are pics of the low quality tourist cobs I haven't seen one of the better cures.
This forum has better pics than anything I've seen posted from Africa online.
To get the special stuff you need local contacts and someone who has access to the good producers its still there but very hard to find and as they legalize the growing of Dagga the people who have access to the knowledge will keep it close knowing full well its value.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom on the subject, I certainly agree it would require someone with the "in" to access that knowledge.

​​

Tangwena

Veteran
my cobs have been in the stainless stock pot at 30 degree c for about 3 weeks. how long should they stay at that temp?

It should be well on the way by now my friend have you been checking them weekly?
If not I would remove them now and dry them until the surface is dry to the touch and then reseal them you can store them at a cooler temp as they have finished curing and now begin the aging process.
If you could post pictures it would make commenting easier but they should be good to go now.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Chopped 26 hours ago, just got done wrapping them and now they will go into the instant pot @ 105 deg f for 72 hours. 1st attempt so used mainly larf for practice. Vietnamese Black S1

Attachments

• photo2040320.jpg
    photo2040320.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 19
  • photo2040321.jpg
    photo2040321.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 19

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
72 hours in the instant pot, then another 6 hours before I got to open them up. Now they are in a closet uncovered.../not quite sure how to tell when they are ready to be vac sealed again so probably will do it in 24 hours from now. They have a nice smell.

Attachments

• photo2041075.jpg
    photo2041075.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 25
  • photo2041076.jpg
    photo2041076.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 24

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owiaxm8bEJAt The Loud Whisper.
This film has a little about cob making and Malawi growers near Nkhotakota and Nkatha Bay... l was there in 1995,supposed to stay for a week but was there 5,fell in love with the People,the Lake and the Ganja. Luck and Light JBo :)

Last edited:
G

unregistered 190 excited to hear how you like this strain cobbed. is it snow gear?

Tangwena

Veteran
72 hours in the instant pot, then another 6 hours before I got to open them up. Now they are in a closet uncovered.../not quite sure how to tell when they are ready to be vac sealed again so probably will do it in 24 hours from now. They have a nice smell.

Looking good my friend love the colors on the close up, now dry the surface and reseal it to cure, the core can be moist but dry the surface or it will over ferment and while it will still get you high it will loose a lot of the terpy hashish smell that makes them so special.

Tangwena

Veteran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owiaxm8bEJAt The Loud Whisper.
This film has a little about cob making and Malawi growers near Nkhotakota and Nkatha Bay... l was there in 1995,supposed to stay for a week but was there 5,fell in love with the People,the Lake and the Ganja. Luck and Light JBo :)

Easy to love the Malawians they are not called the warm heart of Africa for nothing. Its a very seductive life style isn't it?

gumzgi

this was dried only 24 hours and then was tucked in a jar and pumped azot (N2) , then left from october till now .
took some, they still wet,if u wanna smoke right away you gotta keep light , i left to dry it for some hours and this shit blows ur head the armoas are like spicy hasish here some photos ;

Attachments

• photo2041510.jpg
    photo2041510.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 29
  • photo2041513.jpg
    photo2041513.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 27
  • photo2041512.jpg
    photo2041512.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 29
  • photo2041511.jpg
    photo2041511.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 30

Tangwena

Veteran
this was dried only 24 hours and then was tucked in a jar and pumped azot (N2) , then left from october till now .
took some, they still wet,if u wanna smoke right away you gotta keep light , i left to dry it for some hours and this shit blows ur head the armoas are like spicy hasish here some photos ;

Very nice my friend but a little off topic. I can still see green leaves so its still a jar cured bud just no oxygen.
This thread is for cob cured buds there are other threads for jar cured.

40degsouth

Click image for larger version  Name:	DC44BA96-6EA2-4769-83BE-8B5DFCC7403C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	47.0 KB ID:	17848085
Hi everyone l hope you’re all well,
here’s a photo of my Black Dog mum’s cob nearly a year later. This particular one smells like rum and raisin, dark chocolate. I’ve posted it up for Tang because he asked me specifically about the keif l put in and how it cured out; l haven’t forgotten.
You can see it’s gone very shiny and black; it’s so shiny it reflects light and hasn’t been picked up very well in the photo.
I’ve resealed it because l made it with a friend in mind and it’s a present for him.

Last edited:

40degsouth

6D0A8A26-DF5F-4D08-A47D-CBD3BCD989B1.jpeg
Secondly, perhaps a little off topic but due to Tang’s enthusiasm regarding the keif last year l have collected some dry sift, that l have dried and some temple hash I’ve kept in the freezer, not dried.
Anyone got any ideas for cobing this stuff up to cure properly??? We’ve got enough for a few different ones.
Thoughts and ideas needed, with Tang’s blessing of course.
Cheers,
10B5806A-B60C-43F1-B34B-9F6FE669F6A9.jpeg