What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Activating" cannabis through heat

btb103

There were a couple of big thread on OG about activating your cannabis by simply wrapping it up in aluminum foil then baking it at a certain temperature for a certain amount of time. The cannabis could then be eaten for traditional eaten effects. Does anyone have the specific directions for doing this?

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I want to say it was 300 degrees for 20 minutes, at least that's what it is for firecrackers, and with firecrackers, the only purpose in heating them was to activate the cannabis, so I don't see why it would change.

bloodshot

NiteTiger said:
I want to say it was 300 degrees for 20 minutes, at least that's what it is for firecrackers, and with firecrackers, the only purpose in heating them was to activate the cannabis, so I don't see why it would change.
I think that would be too much for mere foil+cannabis to handle, i'd say 300 degrees for 10 minutes, but I don't do alot of cooking...

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Well, like I said, I was just going by the recipe for Firecrackers, and the only purpose to heating firecrackers in the oven is to activate the herb. It doesn't even melt the Peanut butter :)

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
rusto said:
Well I always liked this and i didn't see it anywhere around here so I figured I'd retype the one i got from OG.

8 saltime crackers (most thin crackers with a wide surface area seem to work)
Peanut butter ( natural seems to work better than hydrogenated)
0.4-0.6g (about a joints worth) of highgrade organic cannabis bud.

End Result: You will get 4 (.1g+) sandwitched Cannautbutter crackers. Or as many as you choose to make.

Spread peaunt butter liberally on the tops of all 8 crackers. Cut cannabis bud into fine dust with shrap scissors. Sprinkle the cannabis very finely across the full peauntbuttered surface of four of the crackers. Now place the peanutbutter side of the four crackers on the top to make a sandwich. (peanutbutter faces the cannabis on both sides). Gently squeeze the crackers together to make sure cannabis is fully submerged in the peanut butter.

Now place your firecrackers on a sheet and cook them in a preheated oven at 320 degrees farenheit. (160 celsius) for 22 minutes.

Viola, There you have it!

From my experiments, I found it effective to eat only one firecracker at first, then second one after maybe 35-45 minutes later and a third one and so on every 2.5 hours if needed.

Firecrackers are very mobile but remember to keep them well wrapped as they do smell a but and it can be noticable to others who may not be as used to the smell as you are.

Firecrackers seem to get more potent if left in room temperature (wrapped) for 24 hours before eating them. firecrackers also seem to be more effective if eaten on an empty stomach. The effects alse seem to be amplified with physical exercise (as related to runners high).

If you are worried about smell you can wrap the firecrackers in foil before inserting them inside the oven but make sure to open them outside because they do smell, not much like cannabis more like burnt peanutbutter and cracker.

I will also tell you right now that these do not taste the best. I had a little trouble eating them plain and had to add a little peanut butter after.

This is the same as brownies, do not eat a lot at the same time, it takes around 35 minutes to start really kicking in

Thanks to the original writer of this. I have added/changed aswell.

Have fun!

-Rusto

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=26915&highlight=firecrackers

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
activate it? I always ate it dried and cured.....
usually an 1/8 oz...
Peace

Green Machine

100c for 1 hour or:
* 1) Make certain that the Decarboxylation Jar, which contains the Weed mixture, is tightly closed. Place jar in a pot of room-temperature water. Put the pot on the stove and set to high, until a rolling boil is reached. Set burner to medium-low and maintain a low boil for 30 minutes.
* 2) Remove the Decarboxylation Jar from the boiling water using tongs or a slotted spoon. Place it on a heat-safe surface (towel, trivet, etc) and let cool several minutes, so it can be easily handled.

(thanks to the cannabrex site... small one word alterations by me)

ill also come back with a link containing detailed instructions in a bit.

EDIT: sorry, cant find a link to the page i got the 100C for 1 hour information from... i think it was from one of the mag's like high times or cc or somthing like that...

Last edited:
G

btb103 said:
There were a couple of big thread on OG about activating your cannabis by simply wrapping it up in aluminum foil then baking it at a certain temperature for a certain amount of time. The cannabis could then be eaten for traditional eaten effects. Does anyone have the specific directions for doing this?
1) The tinfoil is 100% useless and serves no purpose
2) "Activation" of THC occurs at 150F and is called decarboxylation:

"Decarboxylation
by Ed Rosenthal (22 Jul, 2003)

What's the best temperature to extract cannabinoids?

I am a medical user who dilutes extracts and uses them sublingually. I bought a Coldfinger to make an extract. My question is: does marijuana have to be heated to become psychoactive?

My solution was to put the marijuana in the oven before putting it in the Coldfinger. I have no idea how long I should leave it in the oven or at what temperature. THC boils at 392 degrees. Do other cannabinoids which are essential to the experience boil off much more quickly? At what temperature can I decarboxylate the THC, while still preserving the cannabinoids?

Hockey Poo,
Internet

When marijuana is harvested, the THC molecule is bound to a carboxyl group – COOH – that is, one atom each of carbon and hydrogen and two atoms of oxygen. With a carboxyl group attached, THC is not active.

Heating dried marijuana makes the carboxyl group convert into water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2). When marijuana is smoked, the burning eliminates the carboxyl group. There are several ways to decarboxylate marijuana for use in extracts. A layer of marijuana buds or leaf can be placed in an oven at 150 degrees for 15 minutes. This is far below the boiling point of THC yet warm enough to evaporate the carboxyl group. Another method of releasing the COOH is by placing a bowl of buds in the microwave for 2 minutes. The waves will boil away the water. The boiling point of marijuana's active cannabinoids ranges from 260-392 degrees F."

http://cannabisculture.com/articles/3037.html

Apparently you can eat it after decarboxylation....?

Last edited:

weener

When marijuana is harvested, the THC molecule is bound to a carboxyl group – COOH – that is, one atom each of carbon and hydrogen and two atoms of oxygen. With a carboxyl group attached, THC is not active.

Heating dried marijuana makes the carboxyl group convert into water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2). When marijuana is smoked, the burning eliminates the carboxyl group.

This is a great piece of info! Thanks for posting this

Last edited:

Granger2

Veteran
Thanks for the info. One consideration is that the evaporation point of CBD is 180 degrees. Also ethanol evaporates at 170. So 150 would be good. -granger

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
using a dehydrator works for me, it improves the stone ,with out a cure time,dramatically reduces weight

DemonPigeon

Veteran
I've always wondered about this, I'm sure that when I've eaten just plain buds I've felt an impact, though usually by the time I'm just eating buds straight off the plant I've usually been at the weed icecream. Has anyone ever eaten a weedplant whole? I once ate 3 small flowered plants right from the pots, it was an amazing night :)

I will say that pre-baking the bud on the lowest setting of the oven for 15 minutes before mixing it with the peanut butter and baking again makes the firecrackers a lot more palatable in my experience.