What's new

Billy's tubes

Billy Liar

Hi all,

Here's my latest garden, recirculating system using 150mm (6") tubes half flooded with water.

Temp controlled hydro system, auto top off with Ro water. Hand dosed with water soluble fertilisers.

Strain/cutting is a selected Pez S1.

After 1 full week of 12/12

I'll do my best for a weekly update.

Peace
BL

Billy Liar

Another pic from week 1
IMG_20160506_143918245_zpsgftpa9ly.jpg

Peace
BL

Also curious about DO...my brother made ome of those about 25 years ago.
.tube system all tied together with 180° turns on each end comnecting the next row...the whole thing was tilted a little so the res pumped up into one end amd gravity flowed it to the other end where it dumped back into the res...a NFT system but the water had no real depth
..it just flowed thru the tubes....the res had the stones...Why so deep in there???...they look great so u must have something for DO??...YT

Billy Liar

Hi badmf, yankeetransplnt,

The system is constantly recirculating around the tubes to a main reservoir, and the main reservoir circulates to a control reservoir outside of the grow room. Each of the 2 reservoirs has a small pump with a homemade crude venturi.

Thanks

Peace
BL

Billy Liar

Before planting

Edit: the holes have been enlarged since this pic. I was getting rot just under the net baskets so have stepped up to 3 inch baskets with extra hydroton to eliminate the problem.

Peace
BL

Billy Liar

And here's the detail of the return ends where the water level is set.

And yankeetransplnt I missed your question:
Why so deep in there???
I keep the water level with the bottom of the baskets when the water is flowing. Round tubes do not suit nft at all, as when you run a film of solution the curve of the tube naturally dictates a very narrow film where as a flat surface would dictate a wider film and more root zone.
I keep the water level flush with the bottom of the baskets so that the roots will/can fill all of the available space. If I lowered the water level I would get cord roots between the basket and water which is not making use of the available space.

Peace
BL

DunHav`nFun

My old ass missed this 1 ....How the hell have you been bro ?.....been wonderin bout all my guys cross da pond......

Looks great as always Billy , yrs of experience makes it possible to see past the problems where lil bit of rot popped up and you remedied it then moved on......

Hell bro....nobody knows wtf cord roots are anymore when the airgap tween bottom of containers and juice level causes the plant`s defense mechanism in survival mode to make roots spin to hold as much moisture as possible while taking vital energy away from the plant`s nutrient uptake .....anyways...

Great ta see yas around my buddy....Don`t be a stranger and keep us updated....aight ?.......:moon:.....

Good luck and ....

Peace....DHF....:ying:......

Billy Liar

Fredster,

Thought me and the plants where the only things alive in this thread lol...

I'm all good bro thanks... hope the same is true for you...

Haven't heard much from H, just the occasional hello..

Still trucking along flowing water through pipes and tanks etc..

We're entering the fun stage now hehee.. see you soon

Peace
BL

holy balls.. night of the living fred. :tiphat:
top notch work on the pez billy, looks like it'll be a minute before I get to run mine.
See ya on the other side

O

OG Tree Grower

Looking good! Any plans to thin it out or do you have a method to your madness you care to elaborate on?

Billy Liar

Hi ogtreegrower.

I would normally remove all lower branching during the first couple of weeks. But between laziness and making oil from popcorn I haven't done it this round. Maybe next one to see the diff it makes with this cutting.

Hi braincellz,
This is the first real run since I selected her, and I'd say 9 weeks.

Peace
BL

Latest posts

Latest posts