What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran

Ep102 Solar Variability: Flares, Coronal Mass Ejections / Cosmic Rays -The Randall Carlson Podcast​

if you are at all curious about solar modulation of climate I would encourage you to pay attention to what is discussed in the above video. as certain as the sun rises, flares and CMEs and cosmic rays effect cloud cover and temperature.
as an example, there was a sundiving comet Thursday 12/14 which resulted in a X2.8 solar flare.

Earth Blasted With X-Class Flare, Sparking "Largest Solar Radio Event Ever Recorded"​

by Tyler Durden
Friday, Dec 15, 2023 - 06:20 PM

The NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center reported a massive solar flare from the northwest part of the Sun on Thursday evening that caused "one of the largest solar radio events ever recorded" across the Western Hemisphere.
"An X2.8 flare (R3) occurred from Region 3514; located over the far NW area of the Sun. This is likely one of the largest solar radio events ever recorded," SWPC wrote in a post on social media platform X.
The Sun emitted a strong solar flare on Dec. 14, 2023, peaking at 12:02 ET. NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory captured an image of the event, which was classified as X2.8. https://t.co/4INrRFqIg7 pic.twitter.com/2dJ1YMkiXS
— NASA Sun & Space (@NASASun) December 14, 2023
SWPC continued, "These impacts were felt from one end of the Nation to the other. Additionally, SWPC is analyzing a possible Earth-directed Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) associated with this flare."

This monster solar flare was classified as an X2.8.

On a scale of strengths that range from B class (weakest) to C, M, and X (strongest), the powerful bursts of energy can disrupt radio communications, electric power grids, and navigation signals and pose a risk to spacecraft.
Dmqkk7fU0AACsqv_0.jpg

Powerful X-class solar flares can cause damage, particularly to satellites, communications systems, and power grids on Earth.

The frequency of solar flares increases as the Sun moves towards the maximum phase of Solar Cycle 25.

Cerathule

‘Double agents’: fossil-fuel lobbyists work for US groups trying to fight climate crisis​

Exclusive: new database shows 1,500 US lobbyists working for fossil-fuel firms while representing universities and green groups

More than 1,500 lobbyists in the US are working on behalf of fossil-fuel companies while at the same time representing hundreds of liberal-run cities, universities, technology companies and environmental groups that say they are tackling the climate crisis, the Guardian can reveal.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
So does this post mean you suggest that "radio waves" are responsible for the increased temperature of our climate??

no, not in particular anyway.
but it is a part of the electromagnetic spectrum that does.
1702921009928.png

only 17% of incoming ultraviolet radiation is re-radiated as infrared.

plus incoming ultraviolet radiation breaks CO2 apart and the Oxygen molecules do not absorb heat from re-radiated infrared, so there is no net gain there.
you've heard of thermal equilibrium...incoming and outgoing radiation balance themselves.

energy in the form of heat is returned to space equal to the heat absorbed.

"What is Earth's atmosphere heat balance?
The 48 units absorbed by the atmosphere (14 units from insolation + 34 units from terrestrial radiation) are also radiated back into space. Thus, the total radiation returning from the earth and the atmosphere respectively is 17+48=65 units which balance the total of 65 units received from the sun."

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
maybe could you compare this amount to the other biological organisms of planet earth.
humans are but 0.01%, the rest breathe too.

1702926599495.png

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
from what I've seen the solar activity fluctuates over an 11 year cycle .
it goes from warm to warmer according to the cycle it's in.
a grand minimum is cooler than a solar maximum, and we are headed to solar maximum not a cooling minimum.
"The revised prediction now places Solar Cycle 25's peak of activity known as "solar maximum" between January and October 2024 according to a NOAA statement. The peak will be earlier, stronger and last longer than estimates made in 2019. Oct 30, 2023"

igrowone

Veteran
well me climate droogies, I do see something a bit strange afoot
been waiting and waiting for the analysis of the Greenland ice sheet melt season
it was melting quite late, and they wait until the melt season is done
then I see a melt patch up on the near maximum northern part of the sheet
look at the cumulative image and there's a black X in that location
a lot of melting went on there this year, which suggests this may be actual melting
melting in mid December at the northern Greenland edge?
could be quite an interesting report this year
on the other hand, there's already a lot of interesting reports this year
greenland_daily_melt_tmb.jpg
greenland_cumulative_melt_tmb.jpg

Cerathule

Put it up if you have any, in twenty years of looking I've never seen one scientific report that confirms it does.
It's increasingly there in the atmosphere, thanks due to our wreckless attitude. And what that does is literally unfolding right in front of all our (YOUR) eyes. You can be in blind denial all you want, that only exposes how much ignorant you are.

The biosphere may still find a functional equillibrium at higher CO2 levels, but these changes currently come WAY TOO FAST. And so the consequences. Which isn't fair to alot of people either when their existance is dependant on water availability etc pp

exoticrobotic

Unfortunately a lot of society is being led to believe a short term thinking mass consumerism fuck it all approach is best.

Massive fossil fuels producers like Russia/Middle East spinning everything and an ever growing disenfranchised population being supplied by the glut of plastic from the waste petrochemical industry by China.

A slow but steady building possibility of WWIII

The tipping point has arrived.

TF i have a bunker and TF here in the UK we have Rishi in charge.

... we're all doomed :whistle:

exoticrobotic

Heard Rishi is currently negotiating a nursery/immigrant childrens sandpit childcare exchange idea with the Arab countries in exchange for their agreement to stop producing oil as the Rwanda idea is not forward thinking enough.

• Wow
Reactions: Rgd

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Happy Hibernal Solstice skeptics.
here is a link to temperatures of the great north today, just days after the "melt" on Dec. 17.
not much melting going on.

WoW, -71*F in the interior, Santa better put some antifreeze in the eggnog!

Hope your Holidays are full of cheer.