What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the potential in south america

strained

it seems to me that the most popular cannabis regions for smokers are places like the middle east and asia or mexico..and then for seeds people want original land races from asia and the middle east and central america.....but i have not seen much research or interest in strains from south america.....i think there are many orignianl landraces to be still discovered in south america as well as in africa

strained

do any south american growers know why the region hasnt really seemed to be a big destination for quality genetics..when in fact the region has some of the best sativas in the world

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the stuff is there, its just people think "mexican/south american = shwagg" which is no where near true.

G

Yeah..they think of it as schwag because of the amount being imported from mexico, but also because alot of people really don't know what's up with the pure sativas.
Everything's all about frosty purple indicas nowdays...and they wonder why they never got as high as their uncle who smoked that "panama red" in the 70's.

zamalito

Veteran
You're correct brazil paraguay columbia and bolivia have dozens upon dozens of very distinct varieties. With brazil possibly having the largest diversity simply because their culture represents a huge diversity of people from all over. To illustrate this point aside from the large potuguese german african and guarani indian populations brazil suprisingly has the worlds largest population of japanese outside of japan. I was just talking to a guy who recently moved there about how brazil is possibly the world's leader in racial relations. Its a welcome change from the south where there's huge amounts of anger going back quite far.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
hola zamalito, you are correct about brazil hosting many japanese, they actually have japanese towns a la chinatown in nyc or l.a. just as big or bigger.
south america nowdays is a destination for many asian people who want to emigrate, tons of chinese in venezuela for example, still haven't met any who smoked cannabis so far though.
paz

zamalito

Veteran
As far as I'm aware none of them are available in pure form in the european seed market except for except for celestial temple sativa (ecuador) which is a wonderful well rounded sativa with a good body buzz and a happy psychedelic head and only a few are available in hybrid form. White widow is half brazilian landrace, kc brains has a few brazilian hybrids but his hybrids are mostly dutch genetics. love potion from reeferman is based on santa marta but that's about it. From what I can tell there's no bolivian, paraguaian venezuelan or guyanese genetics represented in the commercial gene pool. Here's a short by no means exhaustive list of south american landrace.

-Columbia
Corinto(Monstruo) Colombian -this is supposed to be one of the best non-commercial Col's
Columbian Red/Panama Red (IMO the most overrated south amercian landrace)
Santa Marta Gold
Punta Roja
Black Colombian
Cali Hills
Chiba
Chacó
Purple

-Ecuador
Celestial Temple Sativa (coastal)
Highland
Amazon (the amazon doesn't run through ecuador but the headwaters of the amazon are called the ecuadorian amazon)

-Brazil
Amarelo or Bananinha
Aracaju Red (dSergipe- NE of Brazil)
Brazilian Green (a.k.a Original Green)
Brazilian Gold
Brazilian Lemon (sativa land race from the 80´s)
Brazilian Black or Bengala
Red sativa or Fox tail sativa
Cabeça de Nego or Bahia Black Head
Represa Green
Dozens more undiscovered

-Paraguay
Verdinasi
Guarani Gold
Paraguaian Green

-Peru
Peruvian Skunk (highland?)
Many undifferentiated

-Bolivia
Highland (?)
Lowland (?)
Mostly undifferentiated

Guyana
Large mix of S.American caribean and african genetics

Venezuela
Ask paz, lol

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good info Zamalito :smile:
I heard of Tikipaya from Bolivia years ago.Much later,my friend Patolunga sent me some.I still have a few left.

strained

i´m only 12 minutes from ticipaya right now but i hope to return next year to find all the native strains.....while brazil is the most diverse population wise...bolivia is most diverse in that we have all the different types of land,climates,and soil of south america in one country....it is as if morrocco also had not only a good climate for indicas but also tropics,hill sorrounded valleys,nitrate rich mountains for sativas...i think it is perfect growing region for all tyopes of cannabis

strained

do you have any surplus seeds??...that strain went extinct for the general public about 3 years ago...very few people have seeds for it even in bolivia

I

indicalover

Hey Zam, is the columbian black a hevy hitter? A lot of body to it?

zamalito

Veteran
Indicalover, I have some black lum seeds but I've yet to grow them. From what I gather its kind of similar to how I described the celestial temple. It's supposed to have a well rounded high that effects both mind and body in a positive manner. We'll see.

maxdrumm

Here in Argentina we have some old days paraguayan sativas, a lot of people growing landraces from paraguay........where the brickweed comes from.

Pax

Last edited:

Dankhunter

My question to South American growers is: Do you growers fear being sprayed with chemicals via the War on Drugs? I just always hear about the US spraying in South America, and have daydreamed about growing down there, is this a reality?

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
dankhunter, yes, it is a reality, but the areas that are sprayed are specific areas, mostly the spray is against illegal coca plantations and marijuana, in colombia, ecuador, peru and bolivia, there are plenty of recorded cases where the health of civilians has been affected severely by this chemical war the u.s is waging in south america disregarding all human rights.

but growing for personal use in your backyard or around some national park, it is all good so long as all security considerations are taken.

peace.

Tomatoesonly

gmb said:
Yeah..they think of it as schwag because of the amount being imported from mexico, but also because alot of people really don't know what's up with the pure sativas.
Everything's all about frosty purple indicas nowdays...and they wonder why they never got as high as their uncle who smoked that "panama red" in the 70's.

Sarcasm on:
What are you talking about? I have it on good authority from my news stations that the super dangerous weed found today is many many times more potent than anything the world has ever produced.

maxdrumm

Nobody is spraying chemicasl down here...we dont have coca plants.

redrider: Paraguayan brickweed is just commercial grade, is super compressed and smells horrible....but you can find some seeds to grow in the brick.

Most of the growers here are growing seeds from this brickweed

Last edited: