What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone here choke your friends out?

G

Its Brazilian JJ. I was thinking about taking some classes, but i heard its pretty intense.

EastCoast

well.. yeah and know... the goal of the game is to gain a dominat position over your sparring partner then apply a submission ie. choke hold armlock foot/ and or leg lock. all while the other person resists fully!

It sounds blood thirsty .. but its the opposite.. You can't have a class full of grown men trying to break each others arms.. without full and total respect. If your about to be hurt you just tap.. the game is over and you start again.

The name of the game is technique. It generally takes 10 years to become a blackbelt. And trust me from rolling with blackbelts there bad motherfuckers.. but youd never no it. BJJ is what Mixed martial arts is based on. You know like Ultimate fighting championship or PRIDE.

EastCoast

Hempster.. the only intesity is what you want to bring to it. Instructors are 10 yr veterans because you need time to learn how to teach to. A blackbelt should tell every single person on there first day that you work at your own pace. There's 20 people in my class.. some kids 1415 ish.. sometimes women.. As a student you will be kicked out extremely quick if your a jackass.. as in you don't respect everyone there and roll at whatever pace everyone is comfortable at.

plus the exercises are actually fun and its very addicting.. if your not in shape just showing up will be alot of fun. Plus the best part is.. theres always a cop in like every class... and you get to choke the shit out of em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when you get good enough. oh yeah and the blackbelts .. everyone smokes pot now right?

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
EastCoast said:
Hempster.. the only intesity is what you want to bring to it. Instructors are 10 yr veterans because you need time to learn how to teach to. A blackbelt should tell every single person on there first day that you work at your own pace. There's 20 people in my class.. some kids 1415 ish.. sometimes women.. As a student you will be kicked out extremely quick if your a jackass.. as in you don't respect everyone there and roll at whatever pace everyone is comfortable at.

plus the exercises are actually fun and its very addicting.. if your not in shape just showing up will be alot of fun.

That sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check this out. Thanks!

Hempster said:
Its Brazilian JJ. I was thinking about taking some classes, but i heard its pretty intense.

It depends on the school. A lot of schools cater to the weekend warrior who holds down a full job and has a family to take care of. Schools that train primarily with the gi on, are more technically focussed, and less emphasis might be placed on conditioning and athleticism as when they dont wear a gi. Thats pretty much a generalization though.

You also tend to find that the places that train with a gi, usually have a higher number of students who are good at BJJ (blue belts & purple belts).

Its one of those sports where you get what you put into it. Going to class once a week isn't going to get you anywhere if you're a beginner. It will just maintain your skills somewhat if you already know what you're doing.

As far as them being stoners. I've heard marijuana mentioned in vague reference only among one school. I'm sure people use it, but as far as BJJ and Marijuana culture are concerned, they're not linked as closely as I would say Marijuana/Surfing or Marijuana/Skateboarding unfortunately.

Author: We don't choke each other out. That's retarded.

Last edited:
J

Jam Master Jaco

Dude I did that stuff when I was in middle school...then I found out it's really fucking bad to deplete oxygen to your brain (DUUUUUHH!!!).

Wanna know what me and my friends do for shits and giggles? We smoke weed. :joint: :smoweed:

G

Really,if ya feel the need to choke and or beat something,well,it's much better to choke yer chicken or beat yer meat than deprive yer brain of o2. :sasmokin: plus it just feels good!damit now i gotta take a shower :wave:

EastCoast

Yah that's fucking stupid... it's dangerous to choke people to unconsciousness. That's why you tap or give up. The chokes involved are all blood chokes as in they cut off blood to the brain not air to your lungs.. the difference is no damage to the throat area.. and your body has plenty of oxygen left and as soon as a good pump or too hits your head your back.

Silver bullet that's pretty much the deal.. In Brazil though bjj is supposedly to be the national sport behind soccer. I'ts not unheard of to have a state or national surf and bjj champ from brazil. In fact them muscles from surfing skating or snowboard help tremendously. I think your right though about the mj culture.. but that's not what my instructor says.... His line is.. All the greats the best of the best smoke pot. Always have always will. well after hearing it.. I got to ask right?

Anyway.. anybody going to the pan ams this year in California?

My 11 yr old nephew has been in a Gracie backed school for 3 years now. It teaches respect IMO, good thing and he loves it, I'm begging him to join wrestling when he gets in Jr High. When you put wrestling & brazilian JJ together its a inccredable package. The most dominant fighters in pride/mma *were* US collegic ex champs like coleman & kerr. But they changed the rules because of these guys. Nobody wanted any part of kerr before the rule changes. Bas said Mark was the most dominant fighter ever in his early prime.

Kerr's first trip to brazil vs Heavyweight brazilian JJ champ Mestre Hulk(team Gracie were in aw)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qRtt4LT-Q5I

Highlights

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hxt2_Co4eoU

highlights

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WBl1p_0Slec

Last edited:

Tarkus

Mother Nature's Son
Veteran
Grappeling and wrestling are very intense styles of fighting. I don't think there are many things better than watching two very well trained guys try to choke out, or get a bar/lock on each other. My friend's old roommate, helluva great guy, is currently a proffesional at this exact sport. He moved over here from Brazil I believe. Not exactly sure, does not speak alot of English at the moment. He is amazing! I have yet to see anybody beat him, and he is probably 5 foot 4 inches tall, maybe, and about 145 lbs. i am about the same weight, and I laid flat on my back on the ground in their living room. He picked me up and flipped me into a couch my friend was sitting on. My buddy picked up quite a bit from him, he still spars with him and goes to his matches. Currently trying to "break into the scene." He will make it to, he is DAMN good. My buddy is also taking Muay Thai currently.

Oh, and probably 5 years ago there was a guy at my school named Larry that commited suicide. He used a tie to hang himself in the closet. A few of his friends said he was just trying to do that pass out thing, they did it all the time, and he just fucked up. I don't know, it was ruled a suicide. I did not really know the fella well, but apparently he wrote something down somewhere about how we were great friends. I didn't have to take a math test for two weeks, easy as they were. Poor fella, high school wasn't that bad. :joint:

Last edited:

EastCoast

ickysticky,

good point those college wrestlers are very dominant.. what do you mean rule changes? Because of coleman and kerr? Must be a standup sooner rule for pride maybe? I don't know about kerr.. but coleman hasn't been good in along long long time. well he's good for about 2 minutes then he gasses out. oh yeah.. coleman smokes the dope but I aint one to gossip so you didn't hear that from me.

If ya watch the video.. Mark kerr is massive compared to the other guy! must of been the steroids! http://www.graciemag.com/?c=147&a=3744 heres an interview of the huge massive pussy that is mark kerr stating that he uses steroids.... I'm sorry but thats just pussy shit. Real men produce testosterone and have a strong will to get better.

The best fights as of lately between wrestling bjj are definetly hughes vs. bj penn . you can see where a wrestler has distinct advantages but you can also see how a real jiu jitsu fighter can pick you apart. It sucks bj lost though.. he's definetly the best 155 lb fighter in the ufc imo he just shouldn't be trying to win a belt in a class that has a champion that really weighs 190-200lb.

Well its time to get serious... no wake and bakes, no junk food or sugar, sprints up hills, hours in the gym, hours of jiujits, and 2-3 classes of yoga a week. My goal will be CALI or bust this spring... and while i'm there.. I just might burn the sonof a bitch down and bring home some OG kush ohhh shit.

Last edited:

EastCoast

moose eater... yeah i'm sure someone getting choked out for fun probably has a very low heart rate from relaxing and probably doing drugs they shouldn't.

either way it's still thought of as dangerous.. but that's why you tap.. I've never seen anyone passout because once your in a position that's allows you to control the other person and apply a submision at the same time.. the game starts again. no fighting and nobody gets grumpy.. all smiles allthe time... like your walking through the park.

In judo(very similar) there are actually techniques to properly waken someone from pasing out.. theres a proper way to lay a person, then to wake them. It's taught to teachers so that way they can help if someone passes but students aren't taught to practice this. Although I'm sure someone has been hurt from it in sport.. It's very hard to find any info on people getting injured or dying of this and the sport has been around for hundreds of years , longer? You would be surprised to find out how many people die each year of sports like baseball. The founders of jiujitsu carlos gracie lived to 88 I think still rolling and his brother helio is still alive and rolling and over 90 ! I'll make sure I tap .. and the exercise I get, and mental health will only help my life imo .

mooseeater-One of my personal thoughts on life in general is that, "(it's/life's) already full of (literally) unavoidable risks, and then those risks that each of us deems as beneficial enough to chance; why add to them unless it's something that's really important to you."

exactly the reason I never went skydiving!!! ;)

gr0wm4g3

lmao, first I see "anyone choke your friends out?" then I look at the link and at the end of it I see ".../BJJ"

LOL

EastCoast

dude holy shit... what the hell they do to that glock! That's the most badass pistol magazine/drum I've seen! What's the deal with the action hedonsim? Is there a trigger vibrator ? or is it converted somehow?

well you know what they say about jiu jitsu/grappling gr0wm4g3 ... it's only gay if you look in each others eyes ( while wrestling all sweaty). LOL

EastCoast said:
A friend went to cali last year and said they burn it down right on the mat after class ! Anyone have some good stories? EC

I have a small group of people that like to get stoned and train MMA, mostly BJJ tho. But to be able to go to a school where you could burn one at the place on the matt!?! talk about a dream come true

EastCoast

my friend was training at a couple places in cali to prepare for the panams and said at one they locked the front door.. and sat in a circle and burned the son of a bitch right down. The best part is the friend doesn't smoke but since has come home and became interested in it. He's late 30's and we burned him down ... it was fun.

Latest posts

Latest posts