What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does anyone here use Happy Frog soil?

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Was wondering if anyone knew what the pH of FF's Happy Frog soil usually is? I know there had been problems with it being too high in the past. Haven't had the chance/equipment to have mine tested. Has been good for me so far, was just curious.

Buckeyebandit

I use HF straight from the bag with real good results. Have not check ph but obvious in range. I mix an amendment to it and plants love it

packerfan79

Veteran
I have been hearing about problems with the happy frog. I got some seedlings in happy frog, it seems the situation has been rectified. I am having no problems with mine. I have no clue what the ph, soil buffers ph, so I am not sure how that would affect it. You could probably figure out the ph but I have no clue how.

JustSumTomatoes

My seedlings are in it now and are doing well. I've heard mixed opinions on it. I always throw in some Jobe's fertilizer and perlite and have had good results with mature plants. Was just curious if anyone actually checked where it fell on the scale

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
I use roots organic...

Me too. Currently in my first run with their products.

I'm using Formula 707, Buddah Grow and Bloom liquid as well as oregonism xl.

Plants love it.

I used GH Flora series for years. Since Scott's acquired GH I've been looking for a replacement.

I've found my replacement !

Easy7

Veteran
I would not even bother with over priced bag soil. A bale of peat is $10. Then put money in the goodies to build soil. Peat is the base, compost, castings and whatever else you feel like growing with. You'll have ton's of soil, rich organic soil, for a good price.

EsterEssence

Veteran
There could only one or more small ingredients that makes HF not organic, not to say how it works, the OMRI standers could be bull crap as well.

JustSumTomatoes

I would not even bother with over priced bag soil. A bale of peat is $10. Then put money in the goodies to build soil. Peat is the base, compost, castings and whatever else you feel like growing with. You'll have ton's of soil, rich organic soil, for a good price.

You are very right. Right now I happen to be sitting on a bunch of HF that I had sitting back so I'm planning on using up all of that first.

Easy7

Veteran
How much soil do you need?

It's probably lightly amended peat. Maybe hot for starts or not, dunno.

calisun

Another 12 cubic feet. I'm putting the plants in 18x14 inch holes (about 15 gallons) lined with contractor bags.

Why are you lining them with contractor bags. Maybe I missed something. They wont stop gophers. You need hardware cloth for that 1/2" or 1/4" to make you own or there are some pre made baskets for sale. Watch your watering if you line with bags too. Water could pool up and cause root rot.

JustSumTomatoes

Why are you lining them with contractor bags. Maybe I missed something. They wont stop gophers. You need hardware cloth for that 1/2" or 1/4" to make you own or there are some pre made baskets for sale. Watch your watering if you line with bags too. Water could pool up and cause root rot.

There are lots of neighboring grasses and woodland pants that I don't want to share root space with. The surrounding soil also sucks so I want to keep the roots of my plants in. There will be holes in the bags to allow for drainage. I'm used to growing in pots above ground and buckets up in trees. Thought I'd start to transition to ground. Keeps the roots cool.

Maybe burlap sacks would be a good choice? Those are readily available around here and cheap.

nickman

Veteran
I’ve been using happy frog mixed with ocean forest for a couple years now... I think I get pretty decent results...

I don’t know what ph is though...

I was thinking about maybe putting in a few more amendments this coming round but I just don’t want to over do it and burn the plants...

Just curious, but what makes it NOT ORGANIC.

Latest posts

Latest posts