What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Identify this insect damage?

KONY

Veteran
I saw one right near the damage, and it looked exactly like a spider mite, however it was pretty big, very easy for me to see with my naked eye, and i have trouble seeing the two spotted spider mite without 10-20x lens. I am 98% sure it was not the two spotted/red spider mite. Its whole body was brown, no spots at all. (I looked under 30x scope after I noticed him)

This damage doesn't look like spider mite damage.

jrNtyCL.jpg

J7fFs1X.jpg

KdJRlO7.jpg

Last edited:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran

I would think it is a very minor problem, and really will not effect health of plant. I have lost entire grows to russett mites/thrips and broad mites. This is what broad mites did to my entire grow, in about a week.

This is from Skips guide to plant problems, which is sticky in infirmary, which is my "go to" for plant problems -

Leaf miners

These Little creatures are a pain to get rid of, the miners eat and dig squiggly lines into your leaves all the while planting there larvae in them making it hard to get rid of them. They plant there eggs in the leaves in mid When they hatch they feed off of your leaves untill they get big enough to pupate. Pupation occurs within the leaf or in the soil beneath the plant. After they emerge the entire cycle will start over and you will have a bigger infestation. You can tell you have leaf miners by looking at your leaves; it will look like someone carved scribble lines all over the plants leaves. Leaf miners also can leave your plant open to pathogens and fungus and low yields from the damage to the leaves. The females dig into the leaves and lay there eggs, the sap that is secreted when the leaf minors do damage attract ants and flies. . If your plants are affected during late flowering or close to harvest, please try to use the safest means of control to be safe to your health.

Controls

Controls: Natural control for these insects is difficult. You can remove affected leaves and discard them. Chemical control is hard and is ment towards the emerging adults. Since the larvae is well protected within the leaf. Neem oil will work well.

Pictures 3-4 shows leaf miners attack

KONY

Veteran

The pictures there of the damage is much much wider than my damage. I would compare all the pictures online of leaf miner damage to the size of a highlighter, or jumbo tipped magic marker (width).

Our damage is closer to a the size of a regular pencil, or pen.

Also, the bug we saw right above/ontop of this damage was 100% not a leaf miner, thrip or aphid. It looked exactly like a spider mite, but bigger. My eyes have trouble seeing the two spotted mite without magnification, unless there is a huge population/webbing. However there was only 1 single bug visible on the damage (and it was easy to see); some sort of mite or mite shaped insect, my better half thinks it could be a false spider mite aka flat mite, however I can't find any pictures online of their damage, most all results show for regular spider mites.

Last edited:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I guess you could say it is a mini miner or minor miner. Is it possible to cut out the infected areas and remove the plant matter, or is there a full on infestation?

D3pthCharg3

I have seen miners straight up kill other plants in the landscaping biz, but never seen them on canna...I'm sure you know, as with most insects, 'not many' turns into 'holy shit' in a week or so, haha.

KONY

Veteran
I guess you could say it is a mini miner or minor miner. Is it possible to cut out the infected areas and remove the plant matter, or is there a full on infestation?

Out of 2 lights/12 plants, this problem has affected/effected? 3 total leafs? All on GG4. I have had this problem in the past and thought it was thrips, as a result I always treat with Spinosad and it always works.

never saw any living creatures besides the other day and one time 4-5 years ago, saw 3 single mites, no webbing and no normal speckle mite damage. That was 3 weeks in flower, I used azamax 3x watered in over week and a half and they never came back or populated. If it happened again I wouldnt use azamax in Flower, but live and you learn.

I wonder if it's a native local mite that is not the two spotted mite, but some sort of spider mite. There are approximately 1,200 different Tetranychidae species that the spider mite is related too. The two spotted is by far the most common cannabis one. But this is not that.

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do the ol' tap tap to the leaves with a piece of paper underneath.

How much would people pay for an identification app.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I agree with the idea of thrips. Leaf miners burrow within the leaf itself, leaving a continuous winding trail, which gets wider as the insect grows. Thrips remove material from the surface of the leaf. Their trails don't usually show nice rounded turns like miners. Thrips gouge out short straight sections from the epidermis. Their trails are discontinuous.

Any little black fecal deposits on these plants?

Latest posts

Latest posts