Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > Finish drying my bud in the freezer in my kitchen?!?

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Xtra Laboratories
Finish drying my bud in the freezer in my kitchen?!? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 PM #1
jus'plain'gill

jus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the rough
Finish drying my bud in the freezer in my kitchen?!?

The Marijuana Grower's Handbook is the best book I have read on the subject of growing pot. When it comes to a question I have, the information in this book comes closest to the usual consensus I find here in these forums. I would say in general this book has relevant and up to date info. This is why I am so curious about something I read in the "Harvest and Beyond" chapter. I have searched but found nothing directly addressing my question here on ICmag.

Rosenthal spends a couple paragraphs discussing drying your buds (not just storing) in your home's frost-free freezer. I'm not sure if it is okay to quote the whole passage here so I'll try to summarize as best I can:

He states you should dry your bud to the point of stem snapping and to the point you would normally begin bagging and sweating or jarring and burping your buds. Once at that point you put the partially dried buds in the freezer to "freeze dry". The water in the plant tissues freezes and then evaporates over time (10-20 days according to the book) through a process called sublimation. The claims are better taste and preservation of psychoactive compounds.

Any experiences or opinions?

.JPG

**From a little further in the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus'plain'gill View Post
Don't believe everything you read but do BELIEVE THIS: marijuana can effectively be dried and cured in the freezer portion of the refrigerator sitting in your home's kitchen.

I have concluded that the freezer drying method is superior and more practical for my situation than is drying and curing in jars. All marijuana was hang-dried for 4 days prior to going into their jars or the freezer but after those first 4 days the 2 methods differ considerably.

I never had to monitor the conditions of or do anything to the bud drying in the freezer, it was in a constant pitch black darkness and an airtight environment to protect THC from degradation. The vacuum also keeps the smell in, NO ODOR EVER COMING FROM THE FREEZER. This method was pretty much "Set it and Forget it!"

The bud in jars was aired out a couple times a day or as often as possible. I also monitored the temps and humidity very closely. So, essentially, this method required daily attention.

I am happy with the results from both methods. I have quality smoke a little more than 3 weeks after harvest from either way. I must say, however, I am more happy with the freeze dried product. After a couple days to think, and smoke, on it I have noticed a positive difference in the freezer weed. Most importantly the buzz is more pronounced, cleaner and longer lasting. The flavor is also better, similar to the jarred bud but more of it and more refined.

The only thing, so far, where the jarred pot beats the freezer pot is smell. Cracking open a jar of pot dried in the jar puts out a good, pungent odor. Cracking open the jar of freeze dried pot doesn't smack you in the face with that good, good smell. It might be different after being left to "sweat" in the jar for a few days however.

I have a decent sized harvest that is ready for the jars or the freezer now/tonight. I'm pretty sure I'm going to fit as much as I can in the extra spaces in my freezer and the only bud going in jars will be what doesn't fit in the freezer. I should get a more conclusive idea after this go at it, being there will be a much larger sample size.

Thanks again for hanging around and going along with a mostly boring thread. I'd love to see some feedback and I would love even more if someone else would give this a try to help refine the method more.

*Edit: First page needs a picture.

Kali Mist buds. Color comparison between bud that was kept in the freezer for 10 months (in an open cardboard box) and bud that was kept in an airtight container in a dark environment at room temperature. Room temp bud on left and freezer bud on right. Both smoked supremely but freezer pot had the best flavor. More info on page 8 of this thread, post #116

.JPG

19 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 PM #2
slackx
Banned

slackx is a glorious beacon of lightslackx is a glorious beacon of lightslackx is a glorious beacon of lightslackx is a glorious beacon of lightslackx is a glorious beacon of lightslackx is a glorious beacon of lightslackx is a glorious beacon of lightslackx is a glorious beacon of lightslackx is a glorious beacon of lightslackx is a glorious beacon of lightslackx is a glorious beacon of light
Bump
slackx is offline Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 PM #3
DiscoBiscuit
weed fiend

DiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant futureDiscoBiscuit has a brilliant future
No experience but I'd sacrifice a quarter oz as a test. Might be something to it.

DiscoBiscuit is offline Quote

Old 08-23-2010, 11:51 PM #4
jus'plain'gill

jus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the rough
I will prob do a side by side of some freeze dried next to "perfect cure" dried and cured bud. I have read the Perfect Cure thread all the way thru and I've got my caliber hygrometer. Tons of good info in there but my issue is no info on freeze drying in a freezer in these forums. In fact, in my search I found several opinions against putting any bud in the freezer, fresh or dried.

What do you folks think?

.JPG

Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 PM #5
jus'plain'gill

I decided to go ahead and give it a shot.

I cut down one plant with three main branches and let them dry for 3 days, outside of the bud was beginning to get a little crisp but the whole bud remains spongy. The buds have shrunk considerably and lost a lot of water weight. Two branches will continue to dry and cure at "perfect cure" standards and one branch was put in the empty ice maker bin at the top of my freezer this morning.

It's just a test. I would say my main worry is the final product will end up tasting like the freezer (I hate that freezer-burnt taste!) but this process is supposed to be one of the best ways to preserve terpenes and resins. The next two weeks should tell the tale, I will post an update with whatever the results end up being.

Oh yeah, the strain is a plant from a bunch of seeds from an open pollination of some Spice Bros seeds from '03-'04ish. There were 8 females and 2 males: Apollo 11xMatanuska Thunder Fuck, Apollo 11xGreen Giant, and Rosetta Stone.

.JPG

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:49 PM #6
starrider

starrider is on a distinguished road
interesting im going to try that another way i have a vacume seeler. good luck and stay safe
DISCLAIMER: My intent is to appear to be a part of the counter culture represented by this website, and everything I present is fabricated and/or embellished. I am, in reality, not actually a part of, or in any way involved in, said counter culture.
starrider is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 PM #7
Panama Red
Banned

Panama Red is a jewel in the roughPanama Red is a jewel in the roughPanama Red is a jewel in the roughPanama Red is a jewel in the roughPanama Red is a jewel in the roughPanama Red is a jewel in the rough
<------waiting on the results
Panama Red is offline Quote

Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 PM #8
jus'plain'gill

6 days in and the "perfect cure" buds are looking and feeling good. Humidity in the jars has been right for a couple days and the buds have a firm squish to them. The tester buds are ok, smooth to an extent but definitely time left to mellow some more. A nice white ash is all that is left in a smoked bowl.

The buds in the freezer are... cold. Other than that, I'm not real sure of what's going on. I'll prob wait another 3 days and take the first sample off of her, that will be her 10th day in the freezer and that was the low end recommended in the book. I will share my findings, good or bad.

One thing I already see being a good thing about using the freezer for drying is odor control. I don't like to dry in my grow area (too warm, bright etc) and I don't want a separate drying cabinet for my smallish harvests so the freezer handles that problem perfectly. I'll let you know if my TV dinners end up tasting like primo pot, but I doubt that will be the case

.JPG

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:25 AM #9
stankj

stankj is on a distinguished road
very interesting...
stankj is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 PM #10
argoagro

Interested in the results, I believe it, I've stored bud in the freezer expecting it to be the same when it came out but it was dry as hell.