What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Cure question

Jonnysact

Hey all,

I harvested my first micro grow plant a few days ago. It spent 3 days in roughly 40% RH with air circulation in a dark box. I read that with small plants that have tiny branches, if you wait until the stem snaps, it could have dried too much. So I basically waited until the branch bent/snapped, more like a greenstick fracture.

They have now been in a jar for 20h. The thermometer reads 75* and 64RH.

I read Simons method for cure, and it seems as though I'm close to the sweet spot. I might want to bring my temps down a bit as it's bordering 76*.

A member made a comment in another thread that made me a bit nervous, "I would be careful with that jar being sealed. Unless it's super dry where you are, 3 days of dry is pretty quick to put into a closed jar. I'd be worrying about the buds molding." Should I still be burping the jar daily? I've read quite a bit about that but with Simon's post I wasn't quite sure if that still needs to be done? Is burping not to release moisture slowly? Does this need to be done when moisture has reached the appropriate point? Does this burping need to happen simply to move air around and help avoid mold? With my numbers, what should I be going for here, burp or no burp, how frequently, etc..

I just don't want mold to happen. Your input is greatly appreciated!

0J1PF1V.jpg

EXjHBho.jpg

7QQLE2w.jpg

Sounds like things are good right now. Just keep an eye on the humidity. If it starts to climb then burp the jars. I keep my gauge in the jar so I can read it without opening the jar. If it says 60-65 (I personally aim for62 rh) I leave it alone. If it says 66 I burp the jar. If it says 70 I leave the jar open for a few minutes the seal it back up again.

At first you have to keep a close eye on the jar because the humidity will raise pretty quickly. I usually takes me a good couple weeks to get to a stable rh. During the first few days in the jar I am burping a few times a day. Then the next few days it tapers to once or twice a day....then its every day or two for a bit. It slowly tapers off on how fast it raises and eventually it stabilizes and can be left alone for a while (however I'm always keeping an eye on them just to be safe)

When the jar is opened the outside of the buds dry. then when closed the moisture on the inside of the bud goes to the outside. You are basically trying to equalize the moisture in the buds to that "sweet spot"

I will also add that I've never had any luck with the "flip-top lid" style jars. The ones I have tried never kept a good seal. I use the screw off lids and replace the lids often to make sure the seal is good and tight.

Jonnysact

Hey there Herm, yeah I totally get the process that's going on, makes sense really. And yeah, that grey thing is my thermometer with humidity. My main question is, if i'm in the good range of RH, is burping necessary to avoid mold even when RH is ideal? Somethign about air movement.... This is where i'm a bit of a knob.

Leave it at ideal RH, burp it even at ideal RH? :)

chefbudz

i burp at least for a minute first few days even if i over dried it helps get rid of that hay smell it might have at first

Jonnysact

The RH in the container reached 66, so I took the ganja out for a few hours and popped them back in the container. This morning it's reading 60. :)

Will follow Herb's instructions and leave it alone.

Just remember. Slow and steady. Once it drops below the "cure" zone there is no going back. Sounds like you have a good handle on it.

and to answer your question...if it is in the sweet spot I would leave it closed. It will definitely start to raise on you if its only a few days post-chop. There's no way the middle of the buds could be dry enough to keep rh constant yet. Hope that helps

Jonnysact

Thank you Herb. I will check twice a day to see the RH. If it climbs passed 65, I will air it out for a little while.

moonymonkey

if it goes a little past ur cure poiny, i put mine in freezer for 12 hours,that out during day open bag for a couple mins. a few times a day,do this process 3 times in a row..seems better....peace HIGH TIDE

Latest posts

Latest posts