What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I'm in love with the CoCo

i got baking soda! i got baking soda!

such a stupid song! if you haven't heard it yet, please check it out on youtube. all i think of when i hear it is coco coir haha!

anyways, i feel the need to share my coco grow with the community. i enjoy sharing and helping others so why not show it off and answer any questions i can.

i don't feel the need to start a journal or diary though cause i got a notebook for that. i just wanna share some pictures and show folks what i'm doing in hopes of helping a fellow gardener out i suppose.

my setup isn't original by any means. i'm growing in a 4x4 space i built in my basement. using a 600 watt hps for lighting. pure botanicare coco grow is my medium of choice. i have used it from the beginning with great results and i have to reason to change it. this is my second grow and i've used coco from the get go. so i have nothing to compare it to but it sure is forgiving i do know that, and the plants really thrive in it. i started out doing hand watering DTW and boy that gets old in a hurry. i did that the whole grow the first time with just 2 plants. this time i started with hand watering and then wanted to build a drip system. in my research i discovered the blumat watering thread. read about half of the huge thread and i knew it was what i wanted/needeed. so now i'm growing 3 clones in #2 smart pots with blumat drippers using h3ads 6/9 formula and things are going great!

so anyways, lemme get some pics on here and we'll go from there!
thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMAG0130.jpg
    IMAG0130.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0133.jpg
    IMAG0133.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG0131.jpg
    IMAG0131.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0128.jpg
    IMAG0128.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 1426787366296.IMG_20150319_124926.jpg
    1426787366296.IMG_20150319_124926.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0132.jpg
    IMAG0132.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0129.jpg
    IMAG0129.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 1426787387681.IMG_20150319_124947.jpg
    1426787387681.IMG_20150319_124947.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 12
ok, picture explanations:
picture #1 is of a blumat dripper in a #2 smart pot filled with straight coco grow.
picture #2 is of my veg/mother tent. it's just a 2x4 tent with a 4 bulb t5 in it. these two moms are looking great! i ended up with two moms because i made a clone for my buddy and he ended up backing out on me so now i have two. i have no idea what i'm gonna do with both of em.
picture #3 is just showing the three smart pots with drippers in em and kinda showing how the base is setup.
picture #4 is of a bud in week 7 that got slight nute burn but still looking frosty good to me.
picture #5 is just a step back view of my space. got the space filled in nicely. got an oscillating fan in there, and a cool tube with the light in it. the ducting is hooked to a can filter and a 6" fan is pulling air through it then out.
picture #6 is my "hiding in plain sight" reservoir setup. the blue tub on the right is my main rez that holds 10 gallons max, behind it is a pump that is hooked up to a timer. every 4 hours the pump kicks on and tops off the 5 gallon bucket up top, it runs for 15 minutes and the rest runs back to the blue tub via overflow tube this mixes things up, plus tops off the feed rez.
picture #7 is a canopy shot of my main girl. it's a northern lights from nirvana i started from seed. i vegged this plant for 6 weeks, took 5 clones off of it and flowered the rest. that's where the moms in the tent came from
picture #8 is an overview of the whole canopy. there's my main girl in there, and then the three clones of her i'm flowering using the blumats.

hope ya'll enjoy. i'm tired of typing for now but will check back often the address any questions or concerns and what not!

peace!

vostok

Veteran
Very Nice it is too ...thank you.. a pity the price of coco is just to expensive for me and cartage is outta the question ...so I'm reduced to admiring the efforts of others
again thanks

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Baking soda, I got baking soda! :D

Yep, coco is pretty awesome. It's the only medium I use other than rockwool cubes.

PinkMagic

That is exactly what i think when i hear that. "coco coir" haha
If you do multiple feedings a day, how many ?
where did you get those striped cages where the pots sit ??

That is exactly what i think when i hear that. "coco coir" haha
If you do multiple feedings a day, how many ?
where did you get those striped cages where the pots sit ??

my two mother plants get watered once a day and i alternate each day between 1/2 strength and full stregnth.
my main girl that is still hand watered gets watered twice a day using full strength nutes. but now i'm to the flush phase so i'm just feeding her water starting today actually. planning on chopping her next weekend! :dance013:
and the three i have on blumats are set to stay maximum moist without runoff. but once a week i do give them a hand watering of 1/2 strength nutes with super thrive mixed in until i get some runoff. i do it for insurance but i'm not so sure it's necessary.

and the "striped cages" are wire shelving that you can get from home improvement stores to organize your closet with. i had some laying around so i cut it to length and used it to set my pots on. it has been working great. allows air movement underneath the pot and allows the runoff to drain.

then, just for further explanation, the table i have everything setting on is slightly tilted to direct runoff into a fitting in the corner of my plastic basin thing that then drains into a bucket that i just dump down the drain when it gets full.

hope all that makes sense to ya :tiphat:

Man I'm so happy with the setup I've gone with! The coco/ smartpot/blumat/h3eads 6/9 combo is treating me great. This is a canopy shot of the 3 clones that are finishing their 3rd week of 12/12

Attachments

• IMAG0134.jpg
    IMAG0134.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 14

CoCoSativas

Very Nice it is too ...thank you.. a pity the price of coco is just to expensive for me and cartage is outta the question ...so I'm reduced to admiring the efforts of others
again thanks

Coco is like 12 buck CAD at my growshop. Its a 5 kg brick that i can fill 4 or 5 3 gal growbags.

Also, if you go to home depot and the bag of substrate is ripped they give you 50% off. Look for thise packages.

I get being on a fixed budget (if thats the issue) some of us arent millionaires

CoCoSativas

Man I'm so happy with the setup I've gone with! The coco/ smartpot/blumat/h3eads 6/9 combo is treating me great. This is a canopy shot of the 3 clones that are finishing their 3rd week of 12/12

very nice grow. I also use a modified lucas formula in fliwer, but i use gh schedule in veg. Its only 30 bucks for a gal of the green and its such a nice colour, why not buy it. Lol im sure theres more than just nitrogen in there...

Have you ever tried gh cocotek a and b nutrient or cannas coco stuff?

CoCoSativas

very nice grow. I also use a modified lucas formula in flower, but i use gh schedule in veg. Its only 30 bucks for a gal of the green and its such a nice colour, why not buy it. Lol im sure theres more than just nitrogen in there... i hope anyway

Have you ever tried gh cocotek a and b nutrient or cannas coco stuff?

My last grow that was the same strain, hand watered I used canna a&b. With their boost and pk13/14. I was pleased with these products as well. But the price wasn't that appealing.

CoCoSativas

Thats whats scary about canna. The price and you need so many extras. Im not a cheapskate but i wont spend money on something not worth it, especially when the floras cheap and easy to find anywhere.

Was it clean with the canna coco a-b?did the bud burn nice and white?

Did you use tap water or ro or what with the canna? will it work well with tap water thats ppm 200?

Hey someone told me their runoff off botanicare coco was like 1600 ppms when they first rinsed it... thats nuts do you pre wash yours?

i use the earth safe coco bricks. They have like a 5 ppm extra runoff, its almost inert when i hydrate it

Well it was my first grow so the cure wasn't perfect and I didn't have much to compare it to. But I thought it burned and tasted just fine to me.

I used ro with cal/mag up to 200 ppm if I remember correctly. But nowadays I'm cutting tap with ro 50/50 and it comes out to 100 ppm for my base water. And no call/mag needed. Everything is looking great with this recipe.

I do flush my coco prior to planting. I just use tap water until my runoff ppm matches the tap going into it.

Latest posts

Latest posts