What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anxiety After Quitting Drinking

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Post your stories and words of encouragement. This is about the most sensible, relatable, and encouraging community that I know of, so I can think of no better place to post.

My story isn't nearly as bad as some of those who have prevailed, but:

I had boozed here and there before, but starting around June of '13 I started drinking pretty much every day. Anywhere from 2 or 3 drinks on a given night the getting blacked the fuck out. This went on until right around the end of last year. By November/December of last year I had begun slowing down, wasn't getting blacked the fuck out anymore.

Took a few days off completely before NYE and before work (I work in a bar, and was working that night) I had a panic attack while I was working out. I'd never had a panic attack before and it scared the living fuck out of me, I thought I was dying.

First couple weeks of January I was drinking 4 or 5 nights a week, but only 2 or 3 drinks max. Then on one night I got wasted, woke up, and said that was it for a little bit. Had another anxiety attack the next day and it occurred to me that that's what probably caused the first one I had.

After that, I went to the hospital for a couple days just to make sure I wasn't having any dangerous withdrawal symptoms. I went into my decision to quit with moderation in mind; the plan being to still be okay with having a couple beers on occasion here and there down the road as opposed to (what I see as a potentially unrealistic and extreme option) never drinking again. My anxiety was awful for the first week or so. Had a recurring fear of having a seizure, had trouble sleeping, didn't want to drive my car, etc.

The second week I had anxiety but it wasn't nearly as extreme as the first week.

Two weeks after being discharged from the hospital I had one beer one night as per a tradition of a weekly get-together. Had increased anxiety the next two days (the second day was terrible!) and then last week, keeping to goal of moderation in mind I did the same thing. One beer again, and shame on me. Really shitty anxiety the next day.

After that I decided that it's just time to stop drinking completely for a little bit. Which, honestly, is easier than I thought it'd be. I work at a bar that I used to get drunk at all the time (both on and off the clock and I don't have any problems doing work sober while everyone around me drinks.

Forwent the beer at this week's get-together. My anxiety still sucks, but it gets better by the day. Shit is like an elephant: you ain't gonna eat the whole thing in one day but you'll cut that motherfucker up and every day you'll eat a little more.

From everything I've read the anxiety fades away. The mind & body have to relearn how to deal with stress (which I've got plenty of!) without booze to just suppress the stress.

I've found that whenever I start to feel anxious, it comforts me to go onto ICmag and read shit that will make me a better grower. Growing is something that I really enjoy, and doing anything productive for my upcoming grow this year makes me feel better.

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
I can relate Ic provides a good release. I damn near drank myself to death after coming home from Afghanistan I spend a lot of time here. And yes anxiety is perfectly natural after stopping drinking we got your back.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
good luck man .. I can take or leave drinking ..I do love me my booze...I have bloody mary every morning...making one now....I hope you get it sorted out...yeehaw

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Can anybody report back with how long the anxiety lasts?

I've never really had anxiety before, certainly not anything like this. It's made me irritable (or at least more-so than usual) as well.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
For me about a month. Weed helps a lot with that.

Maybe it's the weed I'm smoking, but I've found mixed results. Sometimes it helps, sometimes the opposite.

Especially if I smoke a lot, that can make my anxiety worse it seems.

I got out of the hospital about a month ago, but I've had 1 drink a couple times since then, the last time being a week and a half ago (I never anticipated quitting drinking forever, so I attempted to teach myself moderation very slowly and felt like shit after the first sip). My anxiety has definitely gotten better, but it's still kickin'.

If/when I return to drinking, I can only imagine myself have a couple microbrews occasionally. If liquor is involved, it would be a 1-drink nightcap. I think telling myself that I'll never ever drink again is a bit extreme, but at the same time I don't see myself drinking again at all for quite some time. Anxiety is a real bitch.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Hmmm. No Anxiety when I stopped...

Hmmm. No Anxiety when I stopped...

I used to drink more than a Gallon of Jack Daniels and two cases of beer a week. (And smoke about a half ounce a week)

Then I quit drinking, no side affects, no anxiety:party: I hope you find relief.

Peace

The Revolution

Veteran
I wish u the best brother, Ive struggled with damn near every addiction imaginable. Well not all. But had my fun with opiates, and booze in the past. its a constant struggle and u gta really change your mindset before u can over come the demons. Its not easy brother, but its very possible. I wish u luck, if u need any guidance please dont hesitate to contact me here or privately. Get obsessed about something else, whether it be getting healthy, or a new hobby. U can overcome anything my man.

convex-concave

4 years with 0 alcohol intake, absolute zero, not even a beer, nothing.

Do this. Life changes. ( I wasn't even an alcoholic only on weekends, still one of the best decisions I ever did)

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I recommend a double shot and a fat j to relax....ha ha only kiddin.. strong indiga is my recommendation...sour bubble or black domina....yeehaw... a fat j of the sour b will def help you chill...

BlueBlazer

What were we talking about?
Veteran
I am an alcoholic. Tonight is my 9th year off the sauce. Quit it cold and haven't touched it since. Tried AA, but I'm not a believer in a higher power, so I did it on my own. Improved my life in countless ways. It may not seem like it at first, but it will improve, trust me. Good luck man.

LEF

Veteran
Some people its better they dont even have one drink, theres no shame in that imho.

Alcohol has a way of brainwashing/rewiring brains.

If you want to drink something (ritual)., try some tea.

Green tea apparently has a lot of positive benefits, people feel calmer, has a lot of antioxidants.

There are different flavor teas, chai tea, fruit teas.

Some teas are great after a meal for digestion, some are good to promote sleep.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Tea may be a good idea. I know green tea is just healthy in general, so anything good for the body is good for anxiety; that's the way I look at it.

My anxiety has subsided some, but I still have it. I've found working out and working on projects helps. It's been about two months since I got drunk and about 6 weeks since my last drink.

JointOperation

never had a real problem with alcohol but.. with opiates.. and as we all know.. a downer is a downer.. and they work great for all sorts of medical issues lol.. especially anxiety...

1 thing i will say.. LEARN HOW TO BREATH PROPERLY.. look online.. for breathing shit.. and start your day with a breathing exercise.. honestly.. changed the way my anxiety is..

and also.. coffee.. if ur having anxiety and drinking coffee switch to decaf or quit drinking it.. that was another big one..

Mr.Miner

Good for you for reaching out. I have not had a drop- and not missed it- in 15 years. I used to black out and shit all of the time, too. It was petrifying...I think that the anxiety is part of detoxing. It will go away. Everything passes if you wait so don't give up- it gets easier for sure. Everything is a 'just for today' or 'one day at a time' so try not to beat yourself up or get ahead of yourself...As mentioned above you can reach out to me anytime, as well. We DO have your back. Congrats to you for putting it out there.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Honestly this is the best community to turn to to talk about it. Not only have people here been through it, but I can relate to the people whom this community is comprised of.

That and the fact that this year's grow is the probject that I'm working on.

chefbudz

its been a year and a half since i quit, as time goes by it seems more and more absurd to try and have just one or two beers.possibly going back to the destructive life of vodka,cocaine and sleep medication. i am surprised i am still alive. i don't believe their is any thing extreme about quitting for good. alcohol can bring out the worst in some of people

JointOperation

its been a year and a half since i quit, as time goes by it seems more and more absurd to try and have just one or two beers.possibly going back to the destructive life of vodka,cocaine and sleep medication. i am surprised i am still alive. i don't believe their is any thing extreme about quitting for good. alcohol can bring out the worst in some of people

the human species ... is an addictive species lol.. look into it.. money.. drugs.. sex.. even being a DICK is addictive.