What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds of Africa seedbank???

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Hey there guys,

I just found info about this new? seedbank called Seeds of Africa. They are offering an interesting selection of african classic strains at great prices too.

Never had any information until now and couldn't find even nice pictures or detailed info about the strains and seedbank. I was quite interested although the flowering times on the website about 50 to 85 days even for the Zamal seeds sound pretty suspicious though, so it doesn't look really legit....

SOA-ABOUT-US-BANNER2.jpg

Has anyone any information about the seedbank? This reminds me to that Holy Smokes/Malberry seeds... even though I've found some forum grow reports from the Mulanje and it looked like a real sativa landrace at least. It's a pity that nowadays it's so hard to purchase good and non hybridised lines. No space for exotic plants in this cannabis mainstream scene!

Thanks and good vibes for all the landrace lovers! :tiphat:

purple_man

Veteran
would be great if they were legit, ... but with such descriptions, no pictures, .... it's hard to say, seems like another one of the many scammers and rippers these days :/

blessss

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
I find it funny how seeds-ofafrica.com is now one of the cookies tracking my web location after clicking on this thread. Can you say... SKETCHY???????:biggrin:

Qazz

Any new info about this seedbank?

Sites looks great and strains are very interesting, but is it "too good to be true"?

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
Ace and canabiogen have the same if not better selection. They've been around forever and have lots of verified grows. Why take the risk?

Qazz

Yes, Ace and Cannabiogen has alot of offerings, but somehow they and most other landrace breeders doesn't offer durban. (Afropips out of stock)
Okay Dutch Passion and Sensi has their versions, but I don't think they would fit in pure sativa category. More like dutch hybrids.

SoA might be fake, but if it isn't, those african genetics could be very special.
Thats why I was wondering if someone has any experiences with their seeds.

Rinse

Veteran
Like purple man said there are no real pictures, also the flowering times seem to low for those strains, I'm always looking for African strains but Im not gonna risk this for now until I see some grow's or more information.

420empire

Veteran
Got some diffrent strains from them, but haven´t craked a bean yest, after i did purchase i wonder the same as you guys, " is this a scam" bu ton the other hand why not? My zamal seeds look big and fat likewise with the durban magic, nothing to complain on here, buttttt.. no info is not a good sign.

Got some diffrent strains from them, but haven´t craked a bean yest, after i did purchase i wonder the same as you guys, " is this a scam" bu ton the other hand why not? My zamal seeds look big and fat likewise with the durban magic, nothing to complain on here, buttttt.. no info is not a good sign.

Hmmm.... interesting; wonder what their story is on the zamal. The zamal seeds I got from GN's Seeds Direct back in 05' are tiny .

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Keep us updated 420Empire... we would love to see your experience with them.

Zamal seeds I've had were very tiny as well, like haze or south indian... :)

peace.

420empire

Veteran
Well. I´ll will try to pop the 4 seeds in the mid summer and see what´s going on, but have two other projects first. cheers.

growhi

well i have 2 packs of durban from seeds of Africa !!

gunna pop shortly will keep you posted !!!!

Tangwena

Veteran
seeds of Africa

seeds of Africa

I currently have one of 5 seeds of Africa regular Malawi growing its def Malawi as I grew up over there and know the different strains quite well at week 14 and filling out nicely I have it in coco, lsted under a 600w hps, the smell is lemon,pepper and a woody smell getting stronger by the week. I think it will need to go 16 weeks or so. I was very surprised as I just bought them to fill out an order with some cheapies. But its def the real deal. Its a srtingy type that we used to get in cobs. There was 4 main types and variants of them all very trippy. But this kind was the most visual and aural trippy. I just hope I can get the best out of her under lights. I am hoping to re veg if it looks good.

purple_man

Veteran
interesting dude! how many days they have been flowering??? the foxtailing, looks kinda sativish, as do the leaflets...

blessss
ps.: thx for the info bro! please keep us updated :)

idiit

Veteran
"I live and grow in a Coastel stretch called the Wild Coast where you will find Durban and the Transkei, 2 major growing regions in South Africa and the World.
So I am exposed to many different variaties of DP, Swazi, Kei, Malawi, Lesotho, etc.

Here is a simple run down of a few and best growing conditions:

The flowering times are generally longer and the plants will like their space more than a hybradised skunk for example which will grow smaller.
The highs all tend to be smooth, euphoric, crasy highs.
Bright colours, very enjoyeable.

Swazi-
tends to be a chunky bud or a long slender bud.
With big thick resinous buds ala Hashplant.
This bud grows with an unmistakeable hashy consistency and a deep hashy odour.
I`ve grown swazi that looks, tastes and smokes different.
You get your chunky orange buds, your dark green sticky buds, etc.
All good and all an awesome stoning.
I find swazi to be more of a cerebral couch lock while still being sativa.
Almost more of a concentration herb.
Swazi generally grows in a nice bush, short stocky but can become big and fat.
Varies between Long slender buds and short chunky nuggets ala Northern lights.
Swazi SKunk, Swazi red, Swazi, etc.

Durban Poison-
I find grows in different forms as well from a big-headed variaty to my
favorite being a small headed strain that litterally makes you dizzy you`re so high, this is the one used to make the famous suger-sticks.
The well spoken about aniceed(sp) flavour persists with any DP variaty.
This year I`ve been working with a rare DP that grows with pink hairs rather than white.
Interesting strain.
Always leaves you feeling soo happy.
The Durban I have grown is generally alot longer flowering than the advertised DP from seedbanks wihich has SK#1 to help it along.

Transkei & Lesotho-
Lesotho Mountains are also in the Eastern Cape.
Transkei is also in the eastern cape.
Lesotho and Transkei buds are awesome, both with a strong fruity aroma and taste with a serious stoning.
Varying between cerebral high and downright silent stoning.

The thing with the Transkei is that you can walk in the hills from village to village and hut to hut and in each hut you`ll most likely experience vastly different bud.

You can however identify a few generally superior strains.
Cofee Bay, being a dark green , red haired bud.
With a soft smokey smell and a lovely guava after taste.
Delivers one of the most intense stonings I`ve ever had.
I had to lie on the floor because I kept falling off the chair.
I couldn`t even sit on the floor because I kept falling over.

Undumbi between coffee bay and port st johns will be where you`ll find the largest variaty of bud anywhere.
I`ve walked in fields of purple and yellow and then gone a minute down a hill and walked in a field of nothing but sticky lime green buds with the odd Thick Swazi plant thrown in.
Undumbi I find is a very fruity taste, very sticky and a lovely light green colour.
Also one of my favorites more for sheer enjoyment of smoke than the actual high.
I personally will not always grow the strongest herb but will grow a particular herb if it stands out to me.
I find Undumbi normally will grow with some seriously resinous sticky buds that are just too good and tasty to ignore.

Then comes Port St Johns between Durban and Undumbi Area.
This will either be a cross between Kei and DP or straight DP genetics.
The differences are easy to note with DP having a smaller , typical sativa style leaf.
The transkei being a larger leaf with thinner leaf patterns.
The Bud can vary between Large sticky buds to your perfect smaller DP that is quite honestly scary sometimes.
The kind of herb that makes you dizzy or go blind for a few secs.
We grew a christmas tree Pt St Johns that smelt and tasted of Ice cream.

Malawi -
Most Malawi is still to this day found in cobs which is the malawi heads wrapped in a Mealie leaf and cured like this.
Awesome stoning, very cerebral while incredibly powerful at the same time.
A trait of many SA strains is the powerful sedatory effects.
Not like an indica but more of a very warm positive stoned feeling.
Very relaxing
Malawi is great, with a positivly amasing earthy, hash smell.
Like good Red or Gold Seal.

Congo Black was some of the darkest herb I`ve ever seen with a monster hash aroma and taste while still beeing fruity.
Massive massive seeds.
The congo in my opinion is very closely related to Swazi.
It is a very similar stoning.
The darker appearence is what distinguishes it and ofcourse the seeds.
However a sign of a good swazi is also massive seeds.

Almost all African Strains are generally long flowering plants and are big yielders when grown correclty and pruned well for maximum bud exposure.
The also like to be bent and tyied and in general made to work."

"Strain report on Swazi and it`s myriad of local crosses.

So from my experience I`ve noted 2-3 different variances.
Firstly my favorite, swazi skunk.

Swazi Skunk- grows in nice long, thick, very chunky indica like buds.
Grows in lovely autumn colours, red, oranges, light greens, etc.
The tastes is nothing short of hashy, yet fruity.
The bud itself is very compact and scissors are need to cut through the crystal laiden arms
The plants I find can vary from short stocky plants to tall lambsbread trees.
The High is a very strong cerebral high with more of a couchlock effect than most strains.
The smoke leaves a fantastic Afghan hash taste in the mouth.
The nature of the High and look of the bud leads me to believe there is a slight indica hybrid somewhere in it`s family tree.
One of my favs.

Swazi red - is a far greener, almost dark green to black.
Covered in red hairs as well as a good crystal count.

The bud tends to grow in massive thick buds, they look like thousands of hairs neatly packed in breadloaves.
I`ve seen this plant grow from short stocky christmas tree, to massive trees with thcik heavy buds that look just like bread loaves, in shape and thickness.
The smoke tends to be a very earthy taste and after effect.
With a controlled, smooth high.
More of a sativa in this one and the high prooves it.
Now I wouldnt sya it is a very strong strain but if you like very smooth focussed highs then this one is a keeper.
I smoke loads of this herb and always find I can continue daily tasks quite easily while still feeling a pure high.

Swazi Gold - this is very closely related to the Swazi Skunk but I feel the bud is even more indica based than the previous 2.
Very chunky bud with an incredible long lasting smell that you can`t get rid of.
I had a kg of this herb in my boot for a week and after that there was no removing the smell from the upholstry.
It`s awesome.
The bud itself is super strong with an incredible smoke and high.
One of those buds you smoke and while your smoking you allready know by the taste that the high is gonna be great.
The seeds as with other swazis are massive dark brown seeds.
Vigirous growth and dark purple stems.

Swazi Gold and Swazi SKunk, although similar are vastly different in taste and high.
Swazi Gold is a more intense couchload(head mash) while the Skunk is a nice combo of the 2.
The bud is low in leaf, while the Swazi green is a higher leaf to calyx ratio.

As with most South African Genetics, this bud grows failry odourless until middle to late flower and into harvest when it takes on a fantastic smell and taste.
Only compareable to a good gold seal hash."

"Zimbabwe Rooibaart -

This bud was a pure sativa smoke with a serious narcotic stoning.
Small nuggets covered in red.
A very smokey taste.
But the high is very heavy and narcotic, leaves you quiete and dazed. Left my friend's mom asking him if I was taking any medication because I looked wasted.
Very good herb and very strong.
Not one that makes the rounds too often though."

^post has been around for a while on different forums. original source is:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thx to Panta' alias PTG for this old quote by Derrayld (African seeds)[/FONT]

^ https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=221687&highlight=Transkei

Last edited by a moderator:

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Idiit Thanks for taking me back to Africa its been 30 years but your descriptions are gold
I have to get back there for a fishing safari some day soon.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
malawi gold

malawi gold

I have just vaped a small bud I took last week not cured but the taste is unmistakable I will give her another week then cut the big matured buds (16weeks) and re veg. Should be ready for new year then.
I also have ace seeds malawi,zamaldelicia and golden tiger fems plus holy smoke mulangi gold reg, mozambique reg and 4 of these seeds of Africa malawi gold reg. I hope to get some good males to cross with the other fems. I think this is going to be a good few years ahead in heaven, this taste is so much better than the skunk crossed strains I have been growing up till now.life is good.
Tangwena