What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can light pass through a carbon filter?

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Hi all. wondering if outside light could make its way down a duct run and then through a carbon filter, causing a light leak? What do you folks think? Seems like a stretch. Though i bet light from a HID light could penetrate through a filter and into a duct and out a room, maybe...

Blue Socks

HPS light is not a laser it's not getting through a filter lol. Good question though I can see how you might think it's that strong, my little 150w hurts my eyes if I look at it with out goggles on

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Ok good to hear. I just installed an intake/outake into my formerly sealed room to deal with high humidity during lights out. After installation i stuck my head in the 10 inch outake duct and there was clearly an orange glow. This was with the HPS lights on. The duct is insulated and wrapped in the foil stuff those ducts come wrapped in. I'll have to re-examine for holes and see whats going on.

Granger2

Veteran
Inreplyavalon,
Light won't pass thru a centrifugal fan, if that helps. Also, flat black spray painting the inside of a silver duct will keep light from going more than a few inches. -granger

A

ak-51

No. Light is not going to get through the carbon scrubber.

inreply> theres ducting with a black interior available by hydrofarm.no leaks.
I like that stuff. The ducts with the mylar foil on the inside, it seems like you can put 2 or 3 bends in it and light still comes through the end.

Latest posts

Latest posts