What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2kw stadium vs. 4kw horizontal, round 3 (USD and OG Kush)

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
here we go again... :woohoo:

On my last run I got a pretty bad yield due to Powdery Mildew and new genetics, as well as a height issue in the horizontal room. This time i have new strains and new room designs to help me kick that GPW right in the ****.

stadium has been lengthened from 6 ft to 8.5 ft, and another shelf will be added. Higher plant #'s this time too, i have 100 USD's ready to go in the stadium so ~50 plants per light. Thinking of going back to organic soil on this one, or maybe coco.

the horizontal room has been changed from flood tables to coco w/ drippers in order to give the ladies an extra 2 feet of headroom. Last time i had an issue when the plants stretched into the lights, burning the tops and smothering the bottoms.

the stadium will be Ultimate Strawberry Diesel (USD), and the horizontal has 3kw of OG Kush and 1kw of USD because i want to see how the USD's perform in horizotal as well.

here's a picture of the OG's vegging in the 4kw horizontal room, and the stadium still needing to be cleaned out.

Attachments

• IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 17

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh this is going to be soooo good! I KNOW your going to kill it Schrews that USD is some potent shit, your going to be pleased!

Keep it green bro!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
thanks mega! I am really looking forward to seeing how these genetics produce...
btw i didnt know we can't say **** on here. hint: it rhymes with runt

bobblehead

Veteran
OH YEAH! USD YEAH!!! She's great smoke... :D I just finished 1/2 a j and I'm high... and I smoke a lot let me tell ya...

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
So wait **** gets censored? Anyways, cant wait to see this next run homey, feeling good vibes. Keep it green homey.

aod

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If a 4K horizontal loses to a 2K stadium, something's not right.

Well thanks to a LOT of help from the vert crew when I went from Horizontal to Vert I DOUBLED my yield........BUT it was the same light wattage so I would also expect a 4k horizon to beat a 2 k vert setup.

D

DHF

Good luck on this run Bro....If yas`re gonna run taller plants on the floor for the headroom don`t top em and flip em sooner till yas dial the right height ta kill it at , then just prune and shape their ass out where they don`t grow into each other sideways by end of stretch , and keep the lights as close to em as possible with bottom`s cut out where lumens can`t get down to on horizontal/flat grows ftw........but....

You know this.... and....Tommy TC.......

The only way a dialed 2KW vert setup beats a dialed 4KW setup horizontally is with increased plant numbers cuz yas can grow on all 4 walls all the way up the 4 walls AND the floor once plant spacing and room environment`s dialed.......

Yas can only run so many plants under air-cooled reflectors on a flat grow without em chokin each other out competin for light and environment....Now.....

I don`t agree with the sq ftg for the 2 KW setup compared to the flat grow with 4 KW but that ain`t my cross ta bear cuz I preach 50 watts per sq ft MINIMUM , cuz 4 x 8 flood tables with 2-1 KW`s over em is supposedly 60+ watts per sq ft , but yas got all that metal wrapped around the bulbs with air-cooled reflectors that STORE heat instead of dissipatin it while the glass get`s dirty and lumenloss is WAY beyond all the claims from manufacturers....

But I digress....4000 watts deserves as many plants on the floor as an 8 x 10 room can hold and dial , but........40 sq ft`s all 2KW`s good for IME.....

8 x 8 with plants only on 2 walls gotta work hard with reduced wattage and plant numbers for the gpw`s....

Handle it my buddy ....

Peace....Freds....:ying:....

Grizz

Veteran
Good luck on this run Bro....If yas`re gonna run taller plants on the floor for the headroom don`t top em and flip em sooner till yas dial the right height ta kill it at , then just prune and shape their ass out where they don`t grow into each other sideways by end of stretch , and keep the lights as close to em as possible with bottom`s cut out where lumens can`t get down to on horizontal/flat grows ftw........but....

You know this.... and....Tommy TC.......

The only way a dialed 2KW vert setup beats a dialed 4KW setup horizontally is with increased plant numbers cuz yas can grow on all 4 walls all the way up the 4 walls AND the floor once plant spacing and room environment`s dialed.......

Yas can only run so many plants under air-cooled reflectors on a flat grow without em chokin each other out competin for light and environment....Now.....

I don`t agree with the sq ftg for the 2 KW setup compared to the flat grow with 4 KW but that ain`t my cross ta bear cuz I preach 50 watts per sq ft MINIMUM , cuz 4 x 8 flood tables with 2-1 KW`s over em is supposedly 60+ watts per sq ft , but yas got all that metal wrapped around the bulbs with air-cooled reflectors that STORE heat instead of dissipatin it while the glass get`s dirty and lumenloss is WAY beyond all the claims from manufacturers....

But I digress....4000 watts deserves as many plants on the floor as an 8 x 10 room can hold and dial , but........40 sq ft`s all 2KW`s good for IME.....

8 x 8 with plants only on 2 walls gotta work hard with reduced wattage and plant numbers for the gpw`s....

Handle it my buddy ....

Peace....Freds....:ying:....
yep and add another 1000 to the stadium and there is no doubt with plant numbers the staduim will win with a dialed invirement, gpw win . even with the 2000 watts i belive the gpw watts will out yield the horiz.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
thanks everybody for the good vibes! tryin to keep everything tight this time, gotta do transplants tomorrow for the stadium and then everything should be ready to grow!

DHF you are right as always, the stadium could use more light but unfortunately the apartment i'm using has 100 amp service and is still being used as living quarters so 7KW is my max for lights, leaving me 6K for flower and 1K for veg, so far it has been working out. but to help my yield i think i will put plants on 3 sides of the stadium and only leave one end open.

After seeing what SelfHemployed pulled off with his 2kw stadium i am hopeful that this thing can produce when dialed in.. If it doesn't happen soon then i'm gonna rebuild, probably go back to double 3kw vert rooms.

Gonna flip the horizontal soon, DHF right again, i should keep the plants smaller until i figure out the perfect height.. I thought i had it dialed last time in round 2 but i guess 3rd times the charm!

peace y'all, you guys inspire me and keep me motivated
:artist::huggg:

250wscrogger

I would say that 2k for an 8x8' stadium is like the bare minimum that will still produce good quality.
I just added 600w more to one of my rooms a week ago and the difference in calyx formation, bud size and overall performance is amazing...The quality/density has been great with 2k on 8ft and 4ft centers but with 2600w and 2ft centers you get more intense overlapping light which pushes plants to their maximum potential. DHF is right as usual....
2600w-3000w is perfect for an 8ft stadium with everything dialed in.

Vegging in a separate room under 1k MH horizontal I think 4.5# is the max possible yield in a 9 week time frame from 2k stadium...(flowering only)
I'm pretty sure selfhemployed also vegged under 3k (in the stadium) for 10-14 days before flowering... and the first 5 days of flowering were also 3000w. So without additional veg in the system under full lights (downtime/reduced gpw/month) it would be pretty hard to break much over 2-2.25# per 1k. I haven't done better than 3.6# in 9 weeks so far but think I might have it beat this time... I just flipped a room 2 days ago and the plants are all the perfect size and in perfect health...After adding light in one room,I realized that 2k isn't enough to maximize the plants/space so I'll be adding a 600w to the other stadium now for 2600w per 8x8 stadium...5200w flowering

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Horizontal Room day 1 flowering

Horizontal Room day 1 flowering

here's the flat room all ready to go! just finished setting up the drip tubing so now i can really get it rockin in here..

remember we're looking at 4kw.... 9 plants per light.

Attachments

• IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 14

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
4x4 tray of Ultimate Strawberry Diesel

4x4 tray of Ultimate Strawberry Diesel

heres the USD at 2 days.... sorry for the yellow pictures i will get some with lights off soon.

USD is really a nice strain to grow (so far)... She clones very easily and grows quickly in veg, also seems to be rather resistant to PM (i had a small outbreak recently) . The spider mites love her though! My original moms were getting munched on until I noticed the problem. Didn't expect it because I haven't had mites in a while (I'm lookin at you, Mega...) but nothing a little pyrethrum and neem can't take care of :)

i can't wait to try this fuckin strain already!

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
4x4 tray of OG Kush

4x4 tray of OG Kush

here's the OG at day 2. just starting to grow through the nets.

I hope this really is OG, i have a history of getting mislabelled clones. So far the growth does resemble OG, so until it starts budding I am happy. Only weird thing is the larger leaves have this "crinkled" shape, i will try to get a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: