What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When's the latest I can transplant?

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
I have a bit of a space issue. I've got a small homebox for veg, and a larger one for flower. In veg I can max out at 16 plants in 2 gallon bags, which is pretty much what I have. But when I go into flower I want them in at least 3 gallon bags to maximize yield.

If I transplant them at the first day of flower, is that going to be okay, or will I experienced reduced yield/etc?

Thanks,
FV

Rjstoner

just be very careful durring transplant you should be fine if at all possible though i prefer to transfer a week prior to flipping

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I do the final transplant, (3 gallon) after they show their sex under 12/12 light cycle. (usually 2 weeks)

No sense transplanting males.

At harvest time; check the root system for final growth, in relation to the pot.

I

Iron_Lion

I used to keep them in 4" square pots til they showed sex then under 12/12 then I'd transplant them into 3gal bags. I know this isnt a common practice, but I go as far to say some of my best yields came from doing this.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i mostly transplant and flip to 12/12 at the same time and do just fine with it.

Bunz

I've read of many suffering from "transplant shock", but in my years of growing, I've never experienced it. I wait until the plant is ready for a watering/feeding (on the edge of drooping) and then transplant into fresh container and give a good watering or feeding. Not saying it's a new way of inventing the wheel, but it works for me.

Bunz :D

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I try to have them sexed well before I put them in flower. Like to be well rooted in final size pot before I flip them. That way no transplant shock in 12/12. That said you can transplant any time your getting rootbound.

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What's transplant shock??? I regularly place multiple cuts in a Dixie cup of coco and use a knife to separate them whenever I get around to transplanting.I just cut that root ball up and throw them into new containers. If they start needing water too frequently during flower, I won't hesitate to throw them into bigger bags.