What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze (Mysta Cut)

Maripan

Grow Journal

Introduction

This is my first grow journal, which documents a Legal Medical Marijuana grow under the laws of the State of California.

This is my second grow, with the first being a small one of Super Silver Haze that yielded almost exactly a pound. The quality was on the low-end due my lack of experience, but was still satisfying enough for a first attempt.

The current grow of Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze (Mysta Cut) is now starting its 5th week of flowering and looking very good. One reason for launching this grow journal is to get any tips or advice from forum members here that will help me keep it that way. All input will be very much appreciated.

Grow Data:

Grow Number: 2
Strain: Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze (Mysta Cut)

Clones Purchased: August 19, 2010
Source: PM me and I’ll tell you.
Veg. Stage: 11 Days
Put into Flower: August 29

Set-Up:

Sun Hut Silver 2 x 4 (Actual Size, 2.5 x 4.5 x 7)

Outside the Sun Hut:
600-Watt Electronic Digital Grow Light Ballast
Kenmore 5,000 BTU Single Room Air Conditioner
6” Inline Fan w/ Speedster Variable Fan Speed Control
CO2 Tank and Regulator
CAP ART-DNe Adjustable Recycle Timer
Homemade Activated Carbon Filter
Six-Inch Ducting
Hanna Combo pH & EC Waterproof Meter

Inside the Sun Hut:
Magnum XXXL 6” Air-Cooled Reflector
HiLux Gro Super Metal Halide Bulb for Veg Stage
Hortilux Super HPS Grow Lamp for Flowering Stage
Crane 2.3 Gallon COOL Mist Humidifier
Eva-Dry Edv-2200 Mid-Size Dehumidifier
433MHz Cable Free Thermometer and rH Meter
8” Fan
6” Fan
White 2x4 Tray
Six 3.1 Gal Maxipots (Square) with Coco Medium

Nutrients:
Cal-Mag to boost the R.O. H2O.
House and Garden Line –
Coco A & B
Roots Excelurator
Drip Clean
Multi-Zen
Magic Green Foliar Spray
Bud XL
Top Booster
Shooting Powder

Here’s the set-up for my small indoor hydroponic garden. It’s a completely closed system so that I can run the CO2 during the entire grow. To the right is the inline fan and A/C unit. I have the ducting set up so that the inline fan pulls air through the light and reflector, as well as from the exhaust of the A/C unit, and sends the hot air into the attic. I used plastic tarp material, six-inch ducting, and ducting tape to construct the A/C intake and outtake ducting to and from the hut as well as the exhaust ducting from the back of the unit to the inline fan.

On the left side of the hut is the CO2 tank and homemade carbon air filter, which is located at the intake of the ducting running to the light and reflector. I run CO2 for 30 seconds every 15 minutes using the CAP ART-DNe timer.

Inside the hut are some fans and, depending upon the stage of the grow, either the dehumidifier or the humidifier.

I have found that by monitoring and adjusting the A/C unit as needed, I am able to keep the temperature around 76-80 degrees F with rH 45-50% during the day, with nighttime temperature around 64-68 degrees F with rH at 50-60%. Trimming has also helped with this, as we will see in a future posting. In the first days I used the humidifier until Day 8 of flowering, and then switched to the dehumidfier on the 10th day.

This setup cost about $2500. With nutrients, miscellaneous purchases, and electricity, this grow will end up costing about an additional $500.

Maripan

Day 00 of Veg Stage - Day 02 of Flowering Stage

Day 00 of Veg Stage - Day 02 of Flowering Stage

Purchased and potted six SSSDH clones (pict 00.03), flowered them for 11 days, then put them into flower after doing some initial trimming. Also started topping the plants with the view of getting four main colas from from each one. As we will see, I got a bit topping and FIMing-happy and ended up with 35 main colas on these six plants!!

Nice start after after seven days of veg stage (second pict).

Maripan

Day 07

Day 07

Day 07

Day seven of the flowering stage and we see some nice growth. Goes to show what the CO2 can do for these ladies.

The plants took four days to drink five gallons of H2O; total H2O consumption this week was 7.0 gallons.

Day 1 Stats: PPM=437, pH = 5.93, H2O temp=70.8 F
Day 7 Stats: PPM=549, pH = 6.00, H2O temp=71.5 F

Nutrients:

For the first week I only used 50% strength of the House & Garden nutrients. Also applied Magic Green foliar spray on day 4. Will repeat this application every other week.

Mixed 5 gallons of R.O. H2O on Days 1 and 5 with:
Cal-Mag - 20 ml
Coco A & B - 26 ml each
After adjusting for pH:
Roots Excelurator - 4.4 ml
Drip Clean - 0.4 ml
Multi-Zen - 16 ml
Magic Green Foliar Spray --
Bud XL --
Top Booster --
Shooting Powder --

Maripan

Day 14

Day 14

Day 14

When referring to individual plants I will identify them as follows:

Where back-left is 2, back-middle is 3, back-right is 4, front-right is 5, front-middle is 6, and front-left is 1.

Starting to see some hairs on all the plants, and number 4 is starting to stretch. It’s the only one. Any ideas why only one out of six plants of the same strain in the exact conditions would behave so differently than the other five?

One explanation could be the trimming. Early on, I starting trimming the plants, with the idea of lolli-poping them. Then I ended up devising the following strategy:

Plants 1,2, and 3 were lightly trimmed so that the first nodes above the branching above the topping points will flower. Plant 4 was lolli-popped three nodes up. On plants 5 and 6 I pruned the first two nodes and branching above the topping points. I wanted to test the theories around pruning so by using these three approaches we will get to see how bud size and weight are affected by each.

Nutrients:

For the second week I started using 100% strength of the House & Garden nutrients.

They took three days to drink five gallons of H2O; total H2O consumption this week was 10 gallons.

Day 8 Stats: PPM=860, pH = 5.88, H2O temp=73.8 F
Day 14 Stats: PPM=714, pH = 6.07, H2O temp=71.5 F

During the second week I used 80% strength of the House & Garden nutrients:

Mixed 5 gallons of R.O. H2O on Days 8 and 11 with:
Cal-Mag - 25 ml
Coco A & B - 37.5 ml each
After adjusting for pH:
Roots Excelurator - 5.5 ml
Drip Clean - 2 ml
Multi-Zen - 19 ml
Bud XL --
Top Booster --
Shooting Powder --

Maripan

Day 15

Day 15

Day 15

A strange thing happened today. I found and picked off about eight or ten pods that looked male. It looked like the girls were going hermie of me. The picts show what looks like a male pod as well as one that is clearly female. When I popped the male-looking pods a clear liquid came out.

The next day I found only one such pod, and that was all. After that, absolutely no signs of going hermie. Can anyone explain this? I have checked very, very carefully and all I have seen since then are beautiful female flowers.

Maripan

Day 21

Day 21

Day 21

Wow! I am so delight to see this awesome growth after three weeks of the flowering stage. Flowers are popping up everywhere, with lots of lit-up hairs, and trichomes are starting to show up as well. Number 4 was stretching too much so I had to bend it in order to position the light closer to the other plants.

Main cola count by plant:

1=6, 2=5, 3=8, 4=5, 5=5, and 6=6, which makes a total of 35 main colas. My goal is to get these to yield about half an ounce each. Plants 1-3 also have some smaller bud sites lower down, which should yield another ounce or so.

Built and installed the home-made Activated Carbon filter on Day 19. Cost: about $100.

Nutrients:

Applied Magic Green foliar spray on day 18. Will repeat in two weeks.

Plants took three days to drink five gallons of H2O; total H2O consumption this week was 10 gallons.

Day 15 Stats: PPM=784, pH = 5.84, H2O temp=72.6 F
Day 21 Stats: PPM=918, pH = 5.90, H2O temp=70.9 F

During the thrid week I used 100% strength of the House & Garden nutrients:

Mixed 5 gallons of R.O. H2O on Days 15 and 18 with:
Cal-Mag - 25 ml
Coco A & B – 42.5 ml each
After adjusting for pH:
Drip Clean - 2 ml
Multi-Zen - 19 ml
Magic Green Foliar Spray - 25 ml
Bud XL --
Top Booster --
Shooting Powder --

Maripan

Day 28

Day 28

Day 28

The pictures were actually taken at lights-out on day 27. Flowers are busting out beautifully and beginning to get frosty. Seems a bit early for a strain that is supposed to go 12 weeks. In a few weeks these are going to look like they have snow on them!

Does anyone think that the SSSDH flowering cycle can be shortened by flooding the canopy with CO2 every day? If so, by how many days?

Nutrients:

Plants took three days to drink five gallons of H2O; total H2O consumption this week was 10 gallons.

Day 22 Stats: PPM=828, pH = 5.85, H2O temp=72.4 F
Day 28 Stats: PPM=997, pH = 6.07, H2O temp=75.1 F

During the third week I used 100% strength of the House & Garden nutrients:

Mixed 5 gallons of R.O. H2O on Days 22 and 24 with:
Cal-Mag - 25 ml
Coco A & B – 47.5 ml each
After adjusting for pH:
Drip Clean - 2 ml
Multi-Zen - 19 ml
Bud XL --
Top Booster --
Shooting Powder --

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice grow man. I just smoked some of this strain that was grown really well by another ic magger, and it was pretty kick ass.

mg75

My OJD SSSDH # 4 had some bananas as well. I picked them off. None had returned as of yet. I think these plants may of stressed in 100 degree heat at my place.

Day 15

A strange thing happened today. I found and picked off about eight or ten pods that looked male. It looked like the girls were going hermie of me. The picts show what looks like a male pod as well as one that is clearly female. When I popped the male-looking pods a clear liquid came out.

The next day I found only one such pod, and that was all. After that, absolutely no signs of going hermie. Can anyone explain this? I have checked very, very carefully and all I have seen since then are beautiful female flowers.

Maripan

The pods never busted out bananas because I plucked them as soon as they showed up. I suspect that after pruning some hormones spiked for a day and produced those male-looking pods. I took it as a warning not to stress the plants too much.

Maripan

Day 35

Whoever said that while smoking pot is not addictive, growing it is, was right on. Every day is an adventure as I watch these beauties grow.

This week we had a serious heat wave in California, which caused my grow room to get very warm and raised the water temp to the high 70s’ and low 80’s. The hut has been running hot, too, into the mid 80’s. Nevertheless, the plants look good. Perhaps the CO2 is helping with the heat?

Nutrients:

Noticed some signs of calcium deficiency yesterday. After looking at the Cal-Mag instructions, it turns out I can go up to 10 ml per gallon. I have been going with the low end on the Cal-Mag at half that. So starting on Day 35 the Cal-Mag will be increased to 8 ml per gallon. If it looks like more is needed, I’ll bump up to the maximum.

Plants took three days to drink five gallons of H2O; total H2O consumption this week was 12 gallons.

Day 29 Stats: PPM=1110, pH = 5.93, H2O temp=79.4 F
Day 32 Stats: PPM=1136, pH = 5.98, H2O temp=80.3 F
Day 35 Stats: PPM=1288, pH = 5.65, H2O temp=76.9 F

During the fifth week I used 100% strength of the House & Garden nutrients:

Mixed 5 gallons of R.O. H2O on Days 29 and 32 with:
Cal-Mag - 25 ml
Coco A & B – 52.5 ml each
After adjusting for pH:
Drip Clean - 2 ml
Multi-Zen - 19 ml
Bud XL --
Top Booster --
Shooting Powder --

Feeding Schedule:

This might be a good time to report how the 11-Week feeding schedule will unfold over the remaining weeks. The SSSDH strain is supposed to go 70-85 days. My plan is to go 11 weeks, then flush for one more even though House and Garden says that with Drip Clean flushing is not necessary. At this time, going into the sixth week, the feeding schedule now calls for switching from Multi-Zen to Bud-XL, which will be added during the remainder of the grow. In week 8, for only three days, Top Booster will be added. I was told at the hydroponic store that Top Booster prepares the plants for when they will receive the Shooting Powder during weeks 9-11. The House and Garden literature says that the Top Booster makes the plant think it has hit an “optical drought” and will thus trigger a new round of bud development. The Shooting Powder will, again according to the literature, initiate an entirely new flowering cycle resulting in up to 30% increase in yield.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Mixed 5 gallons of R.O. H2O on Day 35:
Cal-Mag - 40 ml
Coco A & B - 52.5 ml each
After adjusting for pH:
Drip Clean - 2 ml
Multi-Zen --
Bud-XL - 19 ml
Top Booster --
Shooting Powder --

Pictures:

All the pictures in this post were taken last night at lights out.

Pictures 1-6 (above), are of plants 1-6, respectively. I now wonder a bit about Number 4, which stretched while the others did not. Additionally, its leaves are much larger, and in some cases far more thinner, than on the other plants. I was told all the clones were from the same mother, so they should be genetically the exact same plants. Anyone have any ideas to explain why this plant is behaving so differently from the others?

Here are some bud shots. In the first, are two of the five colas on Number 6. Notice the extent of my pruning on Day 14. Plants 5 and 6 were both pruned up to the first two nodes and branching above the topping points. Next is a shot of a bud on #1 we can see how lightly trimming away only first nodes above the branching from the topping points creates more bud sites. However, when I look at #6 it seems its buds are a little more dense and larger than the buds on #1. However, #1 has more bud sites. It will be interesting to see how total plant and bud yield varies among these plants.

Here’s some more buds shot, just for fun, as well as a picture of the entire canopy. Recall the labeling of the plants as explained in the post for Day 14, where I labeled the plants according to their position in the garden as follows:

Numbers 1,2 and 3 are most dense with foliage, as they were trimmed the least. Number 4 was lollipopped, but after it started stretching, I let it grow out all its lower bud sites. Plants 5 and 6 were trimmed the most, and I have kept the lower 2/3 of the plants trimmed.

Maripan

Day 42

Day 42

Day 42

Though I have not been reporting so, I always take readings on the outflow following each feeding. The outflow ppm was starting to inch up towards 2000, maxing out at 1975 on day 37. So it seemed a good time to do a flush. House and Garden says flushing is not necessary when using Drip Clean, but it seems otherwise.

The plants are getting taller, with good new bud development showing up now after six days on the Bud-XL. A few leaves on #’s 3 and 4 are curling up, like canoes, and feel dryer than other leaves. I think this is due to heat stress, so I have raised the light to its maximum height in the grow room.

Otherwise, all looks great. See the bud picts below…

Nutrients:

Plants took three days to drink five gallons of H2O; total H2O consumption this week was 10 gallons, plus 2.5 gallons during the flush.

Day 36 Stats: PPM=1398, pH = 6.04, H2O temp=74.5 F
Day 38: Outflow was approaching 2000 ppm, so all six plants were flushed with 10 gallons of R.O. H2O.
Day 40 Stats: PPM=1238, pH = 5.82, H2O temp=70.8 F
Day 42 Stats: PPM=1157, pH = 5.83, H2O temp=71.4 F

During the sixth week I used 100% strength of the House & Garden nutrients:

Mixed 5 gallons of R.O. H2O on Days 35 and 39:
Cal-Mag - 40 ml
Coco A & B - 52.5 ml each
After adjusting for pH:
Drip Clean - 2 ml
Multi-Zen --
Bud-XL - 19 ml
Top Booster --
Shooting Powder –

Pictures:

The first two pictures were taken of a bud on #6. The next four show a bud on #4. Notice how different they look. Compare the second and third shots, which show the top of the buds. I am now convinced that #6 is not the same strain as the other plants. Number 6 is a lot more frosty and has a distinct lemony scent to it.

Maripan

Day 49

Day 49

Day 49

Late last week the plants were showing very slight yellowing on the leaves tips. I was considering going with the Week 6 schedule during this (the seventh) week. But I changed my mind and decided to go ahead with House and Garden’s schedule. As it turns it was a good decision. The plants look great. They really seem to love this nute schedule.

Nutrients:

Plants took three days to drink five gallons of H2O; total H2O consumption this week was 12 gallons.

Day 43 Stats: PPM=1206, pH = 5.98, H2O temp=73.9 F
Day 46 Stats: PPM=1337, pH = 6.06, H2O temp=72.5 F
Day 49 Stats: PPM=1470, pH = 5.95, H2O temp=70.2 F

Applied Magic Green foliar spray on Day 46. Will repeat in two weeks.

On Day 49 the outflow was up to 1688 PPM, so the plants were flushed with 5 gallons of R.O. H2O, with 200 PPM and a pH of 5.95. Outflow of the flush was: PPM=1270 and pH=5.54.

During the seventh week I used 100% strength of the House & Garden nutrients:

Mixed 5 gallons of R.O. H2O on Days 43 and 47:
Cal-Mag - 25 ml (218 ppm)
Coco A & B - 57.5 ml each
After adjusting for pH:
Roots Excelurator --
Drip Clean - 2 ml
Multi-Zen --
Bud-XL - 19 ml
Top Booster --
Shooting Powder –

Next week will be interesting as the Top Booster will be added for three or four days, then the buds will be hit with the Shooting Powder for the remainder of the grow. According to H&G this will produce a new round of bud development around the existing buds and increase yield by up to 30%. Let’s see how the ladies respond to that…

(Day 51 Note: This morning, after one day on the Top Booster, new buds and new fresh white hairs are already starting to showing up. Awesome! Can't wait to hit the ladies with the Shooting Powder.)

Widow Maker

Looking good! House and Garden is amazing eh? I'm running the full lineup for the first time using my well water and totally loving it. Great journal you got buddy. Very informative. K+

Maripan

Day 56

Day 56

Day 56

The garden is really looking nice. With the introduction of the Top Booster new buds are already showing up and the colas are starting to get more mass to them. Next week, starting on Day 57, the Shooting Powder will be introduced and will be used for the remainder of this grow.

Humidity was starting to spike a little the night of Day 52, so I did a little trimming of large fan leaves, then trimmed some more on Day 55. My aim in doing this is to increase air circulation and to get light down to all the bud sites.

Nutrients:

Plants took four days to drink five gallons of H2O; total H2O consumption this week was 10 gallons.

Day 50 Stats: PPM=1313, pH = 6.00, H2O temp=71.1 F
Day 54 Stats: PPM=1161, pH = 6.10, H2O temp=71.6 F
Day 56 Stats: PPM=1344, pH = 5.85, H2O temp=70.1 F

During the eighth week I used 100% strength of the House & Garden nutrients, as well as the Top Booster for the first four days of the week:

Mixed 5 gallons of R.O. H2O on Day 50:
Cal-Mag - 30 ml
After adjusting for pH:
Roots Excelurator --
Drip Clean - 2 ml
Multi-Zen --
Bud-XL - 20 ml
Top Booster – 30 ml
Shooting Powder –

Mixed 5 gallons of R.O. H2O on Day 54:
Cal-Mag - 30 ml (218 ppm)
After adjusting for pH:
Roots Excelurator --
Drip Clean - 2 ml
Multi-Zen --
Bud-XL - 20 ml
Top Booster --
Shooting Powder –

Pictures:

The first three pictures were taken the evening of Day 56. The fourth one of the entire canopy was taken a couple of days ago, before I trimmed the largest fan leaves off the plants.

Maripan

Buds Shots

Buds Shots

KindBudKid:

See the post for Day 42 for some close-up bud shoots. Also, here's two pictures each of the buds on plants 1 and 6. These were taken on the evening of Day 56, and will offer some nice comparisons later on, after the Shooting Powder has started working its magic.

Side view of buds on #1:

Side view of buds on #6:

Update:

Here's the same buds on Day 83, after three weeks on the Shooting Powder and one week of flushing.

Plant #1:

Plant #6:

Maripan

looks great, how big did you let them get before you flipped them?
I purchased clones and ran them in the veg stage for only 11 days. I wanted to keep them from stretching too much, so I trimmed them down and went with a short veg period. They were about 10 inches tall when I flipped them.