What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Unclear Problems. Anyone know what this is?

growinshit

How long has this problem been going on? several days to a week
What STRAIN are you growing? Misty
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) Seed
What is the age of your plants? 3 weeks
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now? 4 days
Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller plant? If not, what mixture were they in before? Switched from miracle grow to fox farms.
How Tall are the plants? 6-8"?
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? Entering Vegatative
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc) none
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot) One gallon grow bags. Its all I could get and I needed to transplant them out of cups.
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?) Fox Farms Ocean Mix
What brand Nutrient's are you using? FF Grow big
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful* Only feed them once at about 2/3 recommended dose 2 days ago.
How often are you feeding? Soon to be once a week.
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used? ???
How often are you testing pH/ppm/EC/TDS? Every 2 weeks.
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen? Ph pen i guess. Its a meter with a rod you put into the dirt.
The PH is at a nice 6.7-7 depending on the plant
How often are you watering? When the soil ceases being moist.
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding? 2 days ago, first time feeding.

Outdoor grow in Southern California weather conditions.

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range) 60F-85F recently moved outside from indoor germination.
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) breezy?
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? yes
Is your water HARD or SOFT? huh???
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? tap
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen) Unknown
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?(Only if you have a tds pen)
Are you using water from a water softener? no
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? no
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?no
Are plant's infected with pest's? no

I just recently transplanted my plants from clear 16oz solo cups inside my room in my window sill, to 1 gallon black growbags outdoors in my back yard. I think I gave them a little bit of a temperature shock doing this.

The lower, but younger, leaves on some of my plants are starting to yellow a bit. I thought this was a nutrient problem, so even though I had just put them into fresh soil, I purchased some FF Grow Big and gave them some food. The problem has continued and more of my plants are slowly yellowing.

This is the worst of them and the tips have started browning on this. The PH is fine at 6.8 for this plant, it was recently fed with FF Grow Big, and if anything has been over watered.

The problem I am more concerned with though is that most of the plants have lost their vigor. They aren't growing as fast as they were, they aren't as plump and they are starting to "curl" up on the edges.

This plant shows the symptom more then the others. It is small, looks like its growth has been seriously stunted, and the leaves are doing this sort of crumple thing around their edges. The other plants all have these to a degree but this is the worst one.

I have scoured the internet and these forums for what it might be and I have found nothing. Each problem fits a certain causes on some parts, but has others that contradict that.

The first looks like a nitrogen deficiency from what I can tell, but is affect the new leaves first not the older ones. Or at least the lower ones which happen to be new during their stage of growth.

The bigger problem looks similar to some nutrient deficiencies, but lacks other symptoms related to them, as well as showing some symptoms of TMV but without any chlorophyll discoloration.

Someone please tell me its just a little shock and they arent infected with the Tobacco Mosaic Virus. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

cacamal

How long has this problem been going on? several days to a week
What STRAIN are you growing? Misty
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) Seed
What is the age of your plants? 3 weeks
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now? 4 days
Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller plant? If not, what mixture were they in before? Switched from miracle grow to fox farms.
How Tall are the plants? 6-8"?
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? Entering Vegatative
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc) none
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot) One gallon grow bags. Its all I could get and I needed to transplant them out of cups.
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?) Fox Farms Ocean Mix
What brand Nutrient's are you using? FF Grow big
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful* Only feed them once at about 2/3 recommended dose 2 days ago.
How often are you feeding? Soon to be once a week.
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used? ???
How often are you testing pH/ppm/EC/TDS? Every 2 weeks.
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen? Ph pen i guess. Its a meter with a rod you put into the dirt.
The PH is at a nice 6.7-7 depending on the plant
How often are you watering? When the soil ceases being moist.
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding? 2 days ago, first time feeding.

Outdoor grow in Southern California weather conditions.

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range) 60F-85F recently moved outside from indoor germination.
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) breezy?
Is your water HARD or SOFT? huh???
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? tap
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen) Unknown
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?(Only if you have a tds pen)
Are you using water from a water softener? no
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? no
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?no
Are plant's infected with pest's? no

I just recently transplanted my plants from clear 16oz solo cups inside my room in my window sill, to 1 gallon black growbags outdoors in my back yard. I think I gave them a little bit of a temperature shock doing this.

The lower, but younger, leaves on some of my plants are starting to yellow a bit. I thought this was a nutrient problem, so even though I had just put them into fresh soil, I purchased some FF Grow Big and gave them some food. The problem has continued and more of my plants are slowly yellowing.

This is the worst of them and the tips have started browning on this. The PH is fine at 6.8 for this plant, it was recently fed with FF Grow Big, and if anything has been over watered.

The problem I am more concerned with though is that most of the plants have lost their vigor. They aren't growing as fast as they were, they aren't as plump and they are starting to "curl" up on the edges.

This plant shows the symptom more then the others. It is small, looks like its growth has been seriously stunted, and the leaves are doing this sort of crumple thing around their edges. The other plants all have these to a degree but this is the worst one.

I have scoured the internet and these forums for what it might be and I have found nothing. Each problem fits a certain causes on some parts, but has others that contradict that.

The first looks like a nitrogen deficiency from what I can tell, but is affect the new leaves first not the older ones. Or at least the lower ones which happen to be new during their stage of growth.

The bigger problem looks similar to some nutrient deficiencies, but lacks other symptoms related to them, as well as showing some symptoms of TMV but without any chlorophyll discoloration.

Someone please tell me its just a little shock and they arent infected with the Tobacco Mosaic Virus. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

They look fine from what I can tell. Maybe a little shocked from transplant. Foxfarm is very harsh. I would not give them anything for awhile if they are in OF. Is this your first seed run? Sometimes seeds go through a funk stage I have found so I wouldnt trip. Hard water is when it is full of minerals. This might be the case depending on where in Socal you are and how close to the beach. I have lived up and down the coast and found Socal water extremely hard esp in the OC and on down

j242

Bad news, this is worse than Tobacco Mosaic Virus, I think you might have either Banana Peel Pantone Virus OR Corn Husk Hidden Mirror Virus. To me it looks like the later :D. To counter this I would firstly stop feeding them nutes until they are more established and second just leave them alone and give them nice PH balanced water.

The Corn Husk Hidden Mirror Virus should go away after you take those steps.

:D

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
FFOF ferts may last ~4 weeks, depending on pot size. It alone might be too hot for those plants. Do like j242 suggests and use plain water for now. Wouldn't hurt to get an EC meter. If your tap is town water, it helps to evaporate the chlorine off before pouring it on house plants.

j242 is right again, pH is key. Before next grow, mix your lime/soil mix to taste early and let it cook for a month or two.

growinshit

Thanks for the input. I'll leave them alone and water them with just clean water in a few days and see how they do. Its been a long day and I'm glad I was just being paranoid. Yes it is my first ever grow and I'm scared I'm going to hurt my little babies :p

hanuman

From your pics, the only yellowing I see is on the cotyledons, which is absolutely normal. Yellowing is also very often caused by overwatering (see your quote above). No news here, but let your soil become dry before you water your plants again.

Leaves on young plants like yours often curl or become warped, with some strains more than others, I'm thinking of Blueberry for instance. This will disappear as soon as they are in full veg.

The warping can also be caused by the reaction of the P and K parts of your nutrients to non-Ph-adjusted water. Use a pH of 6.5 for the best results.

h :ying:

ibjamming

Veteran
You went from windowsill to full sun?

Could be they needed to be hardened off a bit to reduce the shock of full sun.

Along with the other suggestions.

FF has nutes in it...don't feed it for a while...

You'll make it...good luck!

Ah...Southern CA...I used to grow some killer shit down there in the early 80s. I had a nice spot in the San Bernardino mountains...grew 12ft plants!

H

HybridHydro

I think they look fine myself, they're still in the seedling stage, so, I would back WAY off the nutes, still keeping them at 1/4 strength. ME personally, I wouldn't nute them until they looked like they were demanding it, a little yellow leaf won't harm anything, and will tell you when you should start boosting ferts.

Good Luck, looks good.

anytime i have had problems with fox farm soil and seedlings or clones i switch to distilled water for a week or 2 and it clears up....

H

HybridHydro

Bretonston, I am wondering if the fox farm soil is loaded with nutes to begin with and adding more in the seedling stage is over doing it, might need to wait a few weeks at the least to run the nutes out of the soil first.

darrmann

definitly cut out the nutes, wait till soil is dry at least 2 to 3 inches below top before watering. and let those girls go. They look pretty good, most likely just overfed. like everyone else said ff soil is full of nutes that will last for at least a week if not more.
Also something nobody mentioned was did you ever have it in 24 hours of light. Your kinda putting it right to flower by putting it outside so early and using 12/12 sun and dark. You usually veg for at least a mth under 24 hours of light with veg nutes. then go to 12/12 with flowering nutes. make sure you switch nutes. Each phase needs different amounts of npk. thats n-nitrogen, p-phosphourus and k- potassium. more n in veg and more pk in flower.
alos id get a good ph pen, those things you stick in the soil that are supposed to tell are junk. You need something to ph the water and nutes your feeding them and keep it right around 6.5 with ff

H

HybridHydro

darrmann wrote: Also something nobody mentioned was did you ever have it in 24 hours of light. Your kinda putting it right to flower by putting it outside so early and using 12/12 sun and dark.

Good catch!