Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > my tomato plants I have a few questions.

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
my tomato plants I have a few questions. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2010, 12:21 AM #1
#1cheesebuds

#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of
my tomato plants I have a few questions.

why arn't they blooming and growing any tomatos?

so far I have only gotton 8-9 tomatos.

here r some pix of em from 1-2 days ago.
we gave em some bloodmeal around 2 1/2 weeks ago. then we put some flowerpower on then 1 1/2 weeks ago.
but not too much of eather one.

also what about cutting off the tops of a few of them that r getting 6'+ tall.

also I think there is 27-30 plants out there.
and some of the tomato strains we have out there r some early girls, pink girls, lemon boys, kellogs, jet stars, brandywines, cherry red tomatos, sweet summer times, and a few others.

So have a gander at the pix and tell us what yall think.
and what we r doing wrong.

Last edited by #1cheesebuds; 01-23-2011 at 06:17 PM..
#1cheesebuds is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 01:13 AM #2
Cool Moe

Cool Moe is a glorious beacon of lightCool Moe is a glorious beacon of lightCool Moe is a glorious beacon of lightCool Moe is a glorious beacon of lightCool Moe is a glorious beacon of lightCool Moe is a glorious beacon of lightCool Moe is a glorious beacon of lightCool Moe is a glorious beacon of lightCool Moe is a glorious beacon of lightCool Moe is a glorious beacon of lightCool Moe is a glorious beacon of light
#1 cheese, sorry about your troubles. I did a few things different this year. I started mine early inside, and I amended my outdoor soil rows adding a long list of organics. And I give them fox farms tomato and vegetable dry ferts, spray them with a pump sprayer once or twice a week w/ aerated worm castings/compost tea.

Cool Moe is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 02:05 AM #3
xmobotx
ecks moe baw teeks

xmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud of
couple tricks to tomatoes for 1 you want to give very little N - especially towards flower set and, you can water stress them a little by letting them get close to wilt when you want them to fruit.

w/ too much N they will put a lot of energy into veg growth

they are a water loving plant which will go into progeny mode once deprived
xmobotx is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 03:49 AM #4
superbolan
Hidden among the sheeple

superbolan has a spectacular aura aboutsuperbolan has a spectacular aura aboutsuperbolan has a spectacular aura aboutsuperbolan has a spectacular aura aboutsuperbolan has a spectacular aura about
what is the temperature ?
superbolan is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 03:53 AM #5
kannubis

It is said that 10 days over 90° will stop bloom and fruit setting from happening. I have a topsy turvy with 1 tomato that got set before the heat kicked in here. Hopefully more will take as it goes along.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:27 AM #6
#1cheesebuds

#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of
coool big thanks for the advice on tomatos.

the temps have been around the mid 80s for a while now.
so basicly I need not give any N. what about giving more P insted.

OK so what about cutting the very tall top off to maybe help them grow bushyer.
2 of em r growing to 6 feet tall + like growing over the fence.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:32 PM #7
xmobotx
ecks moe baw teeks

xmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud ofxmobotx has much to be proud of
you might try some shade cloth because yeah they do hate the hot

as far as P goes, you can side dress w/ bonemeal or feed @ 0-5-5 or 2-6-4 *it really depends on what they are established in what you may like to add but a little extra P wont hurt

they feed a little heavier but not like corn or canna

dont prune them because the really big growers are what they call indeterminate and will keep setting fruit on the new growth - you can prune but it will actually decrease your harvest (but like if they are growing into the neighbors yard or ?)
xmobotx is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 08:09 PM #8
Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1cheesebuds View Post
why arn't they blooming and growing any tomatos?

so far I have only gotton 8-9 tomatos.

here r some pix of em from 1-2 days ago.
we gave em some bloodmeal around 2 1/2 weeks ago. then we put some flowerpower on then 1 1/2 weeks ago.
but not too much of eather one.

also what about cutting off the tops of a few of them that r getting 6'+ tall.

also I think there is 27-30 plants out there.
and some of the tomato strains we have out there r some early girls, pink girls, lemon boys, kellogs, jet stars, brandywines, cherry red tomatos, sweet summer times, and a few others.

So have a gander at the pix and tell us what yall think.
and what we r doing wrong.
too early in the season to produce tomatoes yet, I routinely pick the suckers off (forced veg) till the 21st of June. Youll get tomatoes lie you've never seen...

Old 06-13-2010, 08:30 PM #9
#1cheesebuds

thanks for d great info guys. I guess Ill just have to wate and see what happends.

also if I see tiny spiters on a few of them is this a bad thing or will there spiters webs catch other bad bugs that might invade d plants?

Old 06-13-2010, 09:23 PM #10
diamondmine
Meet Me In The Bottom

diamondmine will become famous soon enough
Voodoo is right. I got mine in earlier than ever this year in march and I have fist sized toms but nothing ripe yet so give it some time. If you keep them wet they will veg, keep them dry and they will flower, but it's a balance.
diamondmine is offline Quote