What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Atlantic vs Pacific Kelp (Ascophyllum vs Macrocystis)

So, lots of different kelp and seaweeds out there. Thinking of using kelp as a foliage spray, but different companies use different species. Specifically the products I'm looking at:
Atlantic kelp: Ascophyllum nodosum
Pacific Kelp:Macrocystis Integrifolia

Any research or evidence out there about which is better for cannabis?

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Idk but i do know atlantic is the only one ive ever seen in products. And i know ganja loves the atlantic...

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Ascophyllum nodosum is the typically recommended kelp to use for plants, but its not that simple. Theres no way of knowing whats really in a kelp product other than the type of kelp and extraction process used, which could end up doing more harm than good in the long run if the auxin/cytokynin levels are unknown.

I dont recommend using anything other than the recommendations Slownickel (icmag's helpful agronomist) provides which are Seacrop 16 and Kelpack.

Be careful when buying seaweeds. There are good ones and ones that have little value. Also, where to apply them and when is an issue.

For example, applying a cytokinin to the roots will actually tend to stall the plants. Roots get lazy. Always apply cytokinin seaweeds foliarly. Small quantities constantly and mixed with other foliars. The best cytokinin source on the market is North American Kelp, Seacrop 16. It has the highest guaranteed cytokinin level on the planet, 400ppms. This should be used from veg up through week 3 of flower.

For root applications, you really want to use an auxin seaweed source. So far, the only one that I have been able to find in the US is Kelpak. This applied to roots and foliage, forces more roots. Don't use it after week 1 of flower. All through veg is great.

We did side by side tests. Been through the bunch, Acadian, Maxi, SM6 (UK) and a few I can't remember. many folk won't get a lot of response from a good seaweed product if they really don't have their nutrition dialed in. That means having enough Ca and P most times. Most folk don't. All the seaweed in the world can't get you past the big problems. This is why many say, oh, tried it and I didn't see much. But that can also come from low hormone content. Many seaweed products aren't actually made for fertilizer use