What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pot size for autos

big teej

Oh and i forgot, try to start your autos in their final containers. From my experience they can become stunted from any stress such as transplanting.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We start them (germinate) in styro cups and transplant at 2 leaves. And have transplanted 100's from 2-3 gallon into 5 gallon. As long as you don't injure root system, careful in transplanting, there's no problems.

Everyone has a different method.

Ras Sativa

Depends on the strain cause I'm growing a Panama lime in a 3 gal should have put in a 5 gal believed it would have made a significant difference.

burmese

no matter what another fail we do,,, also autos as photoperiods have phenos with tendency to grow good in small earths amounts and 12x12 lights from seed.
newest what i seen to going to try hazeauto from world of seeds

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no matter what another fail we do,,, also autos as photoperiods have phenos with tendency to grow good in small earths amounts and 12x12 lights from seed.
newest what i seen to going to try hazeauto from world of seeds

Pot/container size, the thread.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
I keep hearing people on here saying deeper pots are better for autos than wider/shallow pots. So this year I've swapped my wider/shallower 10l pots for taller/deeper containers of roughly the same volume. So far, my first round of autos this year if anything seem smaller than I've had in the past, so I'm not convinced it makes much difference. However we have not had much sun, but lots of rain/cloud instead which has probably resulted in smaller plants.

Hopefully my third round of autos (sown a few days ago in standard square 4" pots) will provide a clearer comparison...

this is kind of interesting!
you would think a deep tap root would encourage better growth

but being an equatorial plant where top soil is sparse, you would expect a broad , shallow root mass to be ideal?

i wonder if you could, correcting for environment and genetics, run a test
which would yield more?

a tall container or a shallow container

neongreen

Veteran
this is kind of interesting!
you would think a deep tap root would encourage better growth

but being an equatorial plant where top soil is sparse, you would expect a broad , shallow root mass to be ideal?

i wonder if you could, correcting for environment and genetics, run a test
which would yield more?

a tall container or a shallow container

Most autos have Ruderalis in them which is from more northerly latitudes (deeper soils), so that might have something to do with it I guess.

I might try a little side by side with my next round of autos. I also want to compare starting in small containers vs starting in their final containers. It probably won't be very scientific though as I don't usually weigh, but at the very least I'll get some comparison pics, which should give a rough idea.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Most autos have Ruderalis in them which is from more northerly latitudes (deeper soils), so that might have something to do with it I guess.

I might try a little side by side with my next round of autos. I also want to compare starting in small containers vs starting in their final containers. It probably won't be very scientific though as I don't usually weigh, but at the very least I'll get some comparison pics, which should give a rough idea.

im sure you will be able to spot the diferences tho
thinks like rapid growth and healthier plants, not to mention quality and quantity of smoke.

checking to see if transplanting has any effect on plant is interesting as well

its my understanding that the ruderalis var has virtually no potency (comparable to hemp plants)
does anyone know anything about this?
the only characteristics sough is the auto flowering trait but im sure some of the original growth patterns remain also

neat stuff however you look at it!!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
its my understanding that the ruderalis var has virtually no potency (comparable to hemp plants)

At one time yes....but crossing and back crossing to photoperiod is where you get the potency.

Most between 13-20% with several higher thc.

Read up some....you'll find out autos do have potency.

We transplant a lot. As long as it's not injuring root system, slight set back, if any.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt

At one time yes....but crossing and back crossing to photoperiod is where you get the potency.

Most between 13-20% with several higher thc.

yes, i remember when first heard about ruderalis
it was supposed to revolutinise the way we were all growing outdoors
(that was abck in teh late80's early 90's btw)

im sure they have come a long way!
i will ahev to revisit this var in the near future!
thanks for the insight

1grower

Im using 15 liters standard square pots. Im Always doing multiple girls, but if i only would do 1 or just a few i would go for 25 liter pots. But 15 liters will take you a long way.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im using 15 liters standard square pots. Im Always doing multiple girls, but if i only would do 1 or just a few i would go for 25 liter pots. But 15 liters will take you a long way.
Yep...15 l equiv to almost 4 gallon container.

master kusher

Im using 2 gallons rn and it seems I might get anywhere from 15-35 grams a plant. But I've seen that they branch out better and just look a lot sexier when planted in 5 gallon pot compared to a 3 gallon pot.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im using 2 gallons rn and it seems I might get anywhere from 15-35 grams a plant. But I've seen that they branch out better and just look a lot sexier when planted in 5 gallon pot compared to a 3 gallon pot.
Depends on genetics....taller the auto, the more root growth you need. Do what you want.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'm an auto nubie, couplea questions... High Bud:tiphat:.
not trying to be an ass..

Someone up there said 1gm/watt. is this true? not easy to do for most with photo period plants. suggest some strains that might produce that please.. again, not trying to be an ass..

If I buy 10 seeds (auto) odds are good there will be different phenos, YES? every seed is an adventure? are they very stable?

without clones, one can not retain killer trait from that one golden seed (eg. GorillaGlue#4, SD).

shell

For me 15 Lit airpot works great, big bushy plants 37days, 63cm
Riples"s OG

Attachments

• 37 days ROG indica 63cm  (9).jpg
    37 days ROG indica 63cm (9).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 51

neongreen

Veteran
If I buy 10 seeds (auto) odds are good there will be different phenos, YES? every seed is an adventure? are they very stable?

without clones, one can not retain killer trait from that one golden seed (eg. GorillaGlue#4, SD).

Yes, IME there is a little more variation in autos on average than there is with regs. Perhaps that is only my own personal experience since I have not tried many autos, and those that I have tried have all been "F2s" gifted by others.

I also should say, I was dubious at first, but sowing directly into their final containers produced bigger plants than transplanting, and they do seem to do better in large/tall containers.

:tiphat: