What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canna gummies/soaking chlorophyll out.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I am thinking about making gummies. I saw the magical butter machine and watched videos. They do not soak the bud or leaves in water to get rid of chlorophyll.

Was wondering if soaking in water would wash away much in the way of trichomes, and if there were any tricks to prevent it.

Was also wondering if anyone had experience with the Magical Butter Machine. It has blender in the solution while cooking. Is that needed?
If the blender is useless, would rather buy the ISO - 3, which could recapture almost all of the alcohol used, for re-use.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I got your msg and tried to type out an answer but lost it.

heres a pic.. the connections are made by drilling a hole 1/16" smaller than the hose/tubing you want to use.

Volume Rez (raised a bit) feeds> control rez (float valve sets water height thru out they system except volume rez) > pump rez.

Control, pump and PPK rezs are all connected at lowest point, all rezs at the same level.

as far as pointing you to a PPK thread, the first one "Passive Plant Killer" had/has best defining words but pics have been removed..
this pic is it ina nutshell.. you might try McKushs' threads, he spells it out some and also has a PPK thread that summarizes the PPK threads... https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=287027

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 15

Loc Dog

Veteran
I got your msg and tried to type out an answer but lost it.

heres a pic.. the connections are made by drilling a hole 1/16" smaller than the hose/tubing you want to use.

Volume Rez (raised a bit) feeds> control rez (float valve sets water height thru out they system except volume rez) > pump rez.

Control, pump and PPK rezs are all connected at lowest point, all rezs at the same level.

as far as pointing you to a PPK thread, the first one "Passive Plant Killer" had/has best defining words but pics have been removed..
this pic is it ina nutshell.. you might try McKushs' threads, he spells it out some and also has a PPK thread that summarizes the PPK threads... https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=287027

Thanks!!

I have a lot of the concepts down, but need to see the actual pieces. I understand the tube on the bottom as a coir or other wick, but wondering on water levels, top feed schedules, how the upper bucket sits on whatever the bottom unit is, etc..

The thing I hate most about coco, is getting on hands and knees to suck up runoff. It seems like a recirculating coir, with wick backup if top feed screws up. McKush has all pictures set to private, so I can not see.

I would love to figure out a way to use airpots as planters with this. It would be odd adding a wick to their bottom.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I am thinking about making gummies. I saw the magical butter machine and watched videos. They do not soak the bud or leaves in water to get rid of chlorophyll.

Was wondering if soaking in water would wash away much in the way of trichomes, and if there were any tricks to prevent it.

Was also wondering if anyone had experience with the Magical Butter Machine. It has blender in the solution while cooking. Is that needed?
If the blender is useless, would rather buy the ISO - 3, which could recapture almost all of the alcohol used, for re-use.

Look into a water cure, it sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Trichome heads are non-polar and will stay intact in water. Bubble hash is based on this principle. The water cure followed by an ethanol extraction will definitely reduce the amount of chlorophyll uptake.

The MBM is a decent machine that is pretty much set it and forget it. I'd doesn't do anything that I can't do with regular kitchen utensils. I've been looking into the ISO-3 and it is a little more complex than the MBM. For me, a still would be more useful to reclaim ethanol than the ISO-3.

Lately I have been using concentrates to cook with to get rid of the plant mater.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Thanks!!

I have a lot of the concepts down, but need to see the actual pieces. I understand the tube on the bottom as a coir or other wick, but wondering on water levels, top feed schedules, how the upper bucket sits on whatever the bottom unit is, etc..

The thing I hate most about coco, is getting on hands and knees to suck up runoff. It seems like a recirculating coir, with wick backup if top feed screws up. McKush has all pictures set to private, so I can not see.

I would love to figure out a way to use airpots as planters with this. It would be odd adding a wick to their bottom.
in early iterations of the PPK, D9 had us (he didit too) drillin 7/16" holes in the top bucket (about 30 / bucket then screened over from the inside. It was similar to the smart post idea (air pruning roots) but he soon found out it didn't change the outcome of the same PPK without the holes... anyway, some, I remember reading, have done the smart pot w wick.. it never caught on.. and drillin and gluing was a PITA!

EDIT#2: the top PPK sits on the top of the PPK rez.. ona lid with hole drilled for wick to go thru, kinda like sex.. wick>hole
the water level inside that bottom rez is being kept by the float valve in the control rez... usually 4"-3.5"
EDIT: you may have read that they are using unscreen but washed turface, cut with chunky pearlite. Personally, I bought 7 bags of MVP 3 years ago and still have two unopened bags. The other 5 have been washed and screened, and rewashed to remove roots after each grow.. no pearlite. I do not have a safe place to dispose of the used turface/pearlite mix with roots after the harvest..

I use 4gal tubs (black) the bottom tub with top is connected to the pump rez by tube/hose. Put second 4 gallon tub ontop of the lid of the first: with drill, carfully, drill 1.5" hole (the size f the wicks 'I' use) thru the bottom of the second tub and thru the lid of the first. Insert 1.5" wick and I put a stainless steel hose clamp that holds the top to the lid of the bottom. then put screen to bottom of wick..

I'm a little wasted and my 'disorder' is kickin in.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I've got a Magical Butter Machine

I've got a Magical Butter Machine

No water is used in the machine. I use Coconut Oil mostly. I strain the pulp through Cheese Cloth and press it through a potato ricer. There is still a little green in the CanaCoconut Oil but almost no taste

I think it helps to grind up the plant mater for better extraction

Not familiar with the ISO - 3 might be what you want?

Good Luck - let us know what you do and how it works for you.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Not familiar with the ISO - 3 might be what you want?

Good Luck - let us know what you do and how it works for you.

The ISO - 3 should be much more efficient. Material can first be soaked in water, changed daily, for about 3 days to get rid of most chlorophyll. Then dried and placed in basket with coffee filter, about halfway up unit. Alcohol is placed in bottom, closed and heated. Alcohol hits the top condenses and falls through material. When done, instead of boiling off and wasting alcohol, a collection vessel is placed where material was, sealed and run again, recovering almost all alcohol.

Loc Dog

Veteran
in early iterations of the PPK, D9 had us (he didit too) drillin 7/16" holes in the top bucket (about 30 / bucket then screened over from the inside. It was similar to the smart post idea (air pruning roots) but he soon found out it didn't change the outcome of the same PPK without the holes... anyway, some, I remember reading, have done the smart pot w wick.. it never caught on.. and drillin and gluing was a PITA!

EDIT#2: the top PPK sits on the top of the PPK rez.. ona lid with hole drilled for wick to go thru, kinda like sex.. wick>hole
the water level inside that bottom rez is being kept by the float valve in the control rez... usually 4"-3.5"
EDIT: you may have read that they are using unscreen but washed turface, cut with chunky pearlite. Personally, I bought 7 bags of MVP 3 years ago and still have two unopened bags. The other 5 have been washed and screened, and rewashed to remove roots after each grow.. no pearlite. I do not have a safe place to dispose of the used turface/pearlite mix with roots after the harvest..

I use 4gal tubs (black) the bottom tub with top is connected to the pump rez by tube/hose. Put second 4 gallon tub ontop of the lid of the first: with drill, carfully, drill 1.5" hole (the size f the wicks 'I' use) thru the bottom of the second tub and thru the lid of the first. Insert 1.5" wick and I put a stainless steel hose clamp that holds the top to the lid of the bottom. then put screen to bottom of wick..

I'm a little wasted and my 'disorder' is kickin in.

So only 3.5 to 4 inches of solution in bottom, or from top? Currently doing RDWC which uses a lot of nutrients and RO water.

Would 2 gallon buckets be too small?? I have low ceilings.

Also, does that method produce a lot of humidity, or can it easily be controlled? With RDWC I have buckets in tent, and very little moisture escapes. With airpots and coco, I had a lot of humidity and mold problems in summer, in basement. I will be done with first RDWC grow in about 10 days.

Thanks!!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
So only 3.5 to 4 inches of solution in bottom, or from top? Currently doing RDWC which uses a lot of nutrients and RO water.

Would 2 gallon buckets be too small?? I have low ceilings.

Also, does that method produce a lot of humidity, or can it easily be controlled? With RDWC I have buckets in tent, and very little moisture escapes. With airpots and coco, I had a lot of humidity and mold problems in summer, in basement. I will be done with first RDWC grow in about 10 days.

Thanks!!
3.5"-4" gap between the bottom of the ppk to the surface of the juice in the bottom rez.. GAP between them.

Don't know what to tell you about humidity. I'm in florida, high outside ambient humidity is always present and the dehuey might go on during darkness but isn't on during lights on. The humidifier on the other hand goes on and off continually thru lights on, keeping the H up.

If high H is a problem, (over 70%) designing removable tops with a hole for the stalk and then cut in half thru that hole could be fashioned and used to keep humidity down. other than that there is no exposed liquid.

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 13

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran

I just read this. water does nothing to trichomes. Think rain in nature. that MBMachine is not worth the money spent.. search magical butter machine and READ about it.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Thanks Snook!!

That was my thought for next run of RDWC. The only water exposure is the 6 inch net pot filled with hydroton. I saved all of the plastic pieces cut out of lid, for hole for netpots, and will drill a hole in center for stalk, and make slit to put them on.

It is warming up, so I can use an indoor room that is not airtight to do experiments with PPK. I have started growing some plants from seeds and want to make backup seeds, so will try PPK with those first.

One of my concerns with RDWC, was growing different strains off the same reservoir. Have you had any issues with that? Some strains like stronger feed than others.

Where do you pickup Turface?? Only see small bags for sale on internet, and shipping is expensive. Home depot does not carry it.

Thanks again!!!

Loc Dog

Veteran
Regarding the chlorophyll, check out this thread I stumbled on and saved:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=287025

That is an excellent method, and have used it a few times to make cannabutter. The soy lecithin helps a lot, like 50% stronger. I was wondering if there was a better method than soaking in water, since I was worried about washing away trichomes and kif.

If you try it, make sure to use heavy, long plastic gloves, since you need to press the butter out of material while boiling hot. I bought something called a potato ricer to squeeze it out. Had a cheap one that bent easily, so got a better one.

I am going to try QWET with and without soaking the chorophyl out.