What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Timers!!! put some fun between your legs again.....

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've had a heart attack, a stroke and have severe arthritis in my spine, the weakness in my legs precludes me from riding a normal motorcycle ever again, with Harleys being my ride of choice I was nearly dreading having to buy a Can-Am Spyder to feed that Jones. Now I've found freedom of choice, big time!

I'm not sure when I'm going to do this but I know I will sometime soon, it saddens me to no end on some days hearing Harleys rippin' by my front door on the highway.

I happened upon a CraigsList ad one day and noted the seller of a Harley trike only wanted $11,500 for his 1999 Softail conversion by 'Frankenstein Trikes'. A few months later I found my note and looked up the website, I was thrilled and awed.

Frankenstein Trikes has kits for everything from early ('57 & up) Sportsters right through the latest model RoadKings and nearly everything in between, Harleys only of course.

The kits include a Dana spider-gear rear end which allows the outside wheel to turn faster while negotiating turns, single brake setup (dual rear brakes only needed if towing a heavy trailer), new swing arm, wheels, tires, fenders, support brackets and all the necessary hardware to make the conversion complete.

"Our kits are designed to be installed
by anyone with a moderate skill level."

Unless you're confident and able yourself I'd consider turning it over to a mechanic familiar with Harleys. an experienced wrench should make no errors and will better understand any 'during installation' technical support if & when needed.

Ole's 2000 Softail: note the heel guard to protect his heel(s) from slipping backwards, obviously a disabled rider; onsite more pics can be found showing both floorboards to have those guards. More than several other bikes have similar guards if you look @ enough of the pics onsite.
a1-1.jpg

2003 Dyna Super Glide:
a2.jpg

1995 Heritage Softail: it gets flared out skirted fenders to match the HD 'Heritage' look.
a3.jpg

2002 Sportster: a bigger guy would no longer look funny riding on this Sporty imo.
a4.jpg

1989 FLH Electra Glide:
a5.jpg

=======================================

A brand new Harley 'Tri-Glide' costs 30K and gives you not much more than a new version of the '89 Electra Glide above. I can find/buy a low mileage HD & have a great trike built for me for less than 15K today with a Frankenstein kit. If your starter bike has stock HD paint the fenders can be matched quite easily.

The kits do take on a peculiar look as they utilize the original rear fender which no longer houses any wheel/tire. This however allows builders to use stock lighting, seat configurations, luggage racks, tour packs etc. By the looks of it I'm sure fenders could be bobbed short and electrics rerouted onto outside fenders for a more traditional trike appearance.

I could NEVER condone drinking alcohol, smoking/eating/consuming cannabis or riding under the influence of any of your prescribed narcotics that can inhibit or hinder reaction times for the most obvious of reasons.

I checked w/a supermod before posting this offsite commercial link, but as it doesn't compete with any sponsors and is for the welfare hopefully of some members it was OK'd.......

Frankenstein Trikes

oh yeah, as my legs have no power left in them I'm needing to add a reverse gear onto any conversion I do, I found a kit @ appx $1600 online: AIM Corp ~ Reverse Gear Mamba.

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Go to the site & hit the link for Trike Pics, pick your favorite category and check out so many ideas based on these simple kits. 100s of HQ pics there.

2007 Sportster:
b1-1.jpg

2003 Softail:
b2-1.jpg

1999 Heritage Softail:
MC3-1-1.jpg

2001 RoadKing:
ft9-01-roadK-1.jpg

1994 Heritage Softail:
b3.jpg

Last edited:

masamaaso

Veteran
Do it man,,I had to leave a 2001 Electra Glide behind and miss it all the time, and theres not a road for days around here.
And if your married remember, It's better to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission.
:ying:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how´s riding a hog like that?

buy one and find out, I bought my 1st Harley in '78. I last rode in '08 four years after my accident, since then my legs have lost too much strength and might spasm badly at any time which would cause me issues if I'm on 2 wheels. as far as knowing how a trike rides? got no idea yet but will soon enough.

2007 Standard Softail ~ FL fenders, custom exhaust.

ft-07-softy-1.jpg

sso

Veteran
yeah, it makes me wonder how it is on dirt roads.

have you tried yoga for the hurts you have? (many different types, not only the dog facing ass positions and whatnot. :))

bless cannabis though, im gonna make sure i have boatloads of it when i get "really" old.

edit : im not suggesting yoga as some cureall, it just might help somewhat.

bad gas

Thanks for posting this. My g/f and I are old and no longer can safely ride the big bikes. We've been looking at scooters. I, personally, would feel like a pussy on one.

I'm going to check these out. bg

dread

Veteran
nice bikes
i own a fatboy & a springer softail
they are retired after 20y of (ab)use by me & the old lady
i ride a t100 bonneville now
when i'm an old lad,i'll buy a trike too

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for posting this. My g/f and I are old and no longer can safely ride the big bikes. We've been looking at scooters. I, personally, would feel like a pussy on one.

right on bg, you're just the kinda folks I made the thread for. if you search CraigsList you can find the right Harley price & style-wise you want to start with.

I've found several nice FLT/FLH ElectraGlides for $6K, add the top line kit @ 7K, add some paint & labor and I'm looking @ a 15K trike.

btw CL minneapolis has 1000s of Harley's listed, MN is a big Harley state.

ride on.......

T

toughmudderdave

This is so funny to me. The reason being is that years ago I expressed my desire to Seamaiden that I wanted a scooter for to and from work (2.5 miles away) and for store runs, right? What did I end up with? Only the largest behemoth ever mass produced at the time...A Honda VTX1800R!! LOL!

vtx-1_304.jpg

supermanlives

Veteran
ya stoner get your ass riding again. i havent rode in a few years since i sold my ride. now that my home remodeling is done i am looking for 2 bikes. a cruiser and a rice rocket. something really fucking fast. i miss the speed man.

supermanlives

Veteran
a friend owns a harley dealership so i can get decent price. and my buddy is a ducati mechanic and can hook me up too. i got to ride his once. way fun. i also seen a ninja i liked and an yamaha fj i think it was.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

This would be the only Jap bike I ever put plates on, a '72 Yamaha RT360 Enduro, I bought it used w/150 miles on it w/bent forks & fender, $200 later and it was brand new again. Seeing one again brings back fond memories, it was during the last of my dirt riding days & this bike was very streetable.

72%20RT360_zps874f5362.jpg

This is 100% stock w/luggage rack and the same silver color I had on mine.

One day @ college I was walking to my next class when I heard my Yamaha get fired up in the parking lot below, I was frozen in disbelief for a moment then started running trying to beat out the time it takes to warm up enough to take the choke off. I was hauling ass (track & soccer athlete) hard through the woods when I heard him taking off, my last hope was that he was using the east exit that I could get to faster for sure, no such luck.

Two years later I bought my first Harley from my brother, and three yrs after that I bought my 1st new Harley, a leftover '80 FXE SuperGlide I picked up in time for the '81 Daytona Bike Week. That 1980 FXE was stolen in July of '81 and recovered by me and four other pissed off bro's a week later. The bike was tore down hard & all serial #s pounded out except for one set on the tranny that Harley Davidson changed location on that year.

The meanest mofo of that crew was Romeo (his real name I shit you not!) and before exiting the garage he took a baseball bat to the shitheads car & bike for payback, no physical pain for the prick a well known local thief.

I had some real issues retitling that bike btw, NYS didn't want to honor my 'self recovery' w/out a police report of the theft or recovery, they finally relented w/some fairly valid debating on my behalf and that VIN# on the tranny.......

supermanlives

Veteran
i got no probs with jap rice rockets. but my first chice is prob ducati. cause you wont see the make when i blow by anyhow. and for a cruiser a harley fo shure. crotch rockets aint for long distance done that. or maybe a custom chopper if i can get a steal. i need someone who went through a mid life crisis and got over it or an angry woman. both have potential for a cheap price lol

dddaver

Veteran
I had a Yamaha Enduro back in the '70s too. Mine was a 250. Them things were FAST, all I could do to just hang on. In fact I couldn't sometimes. Took some hellacious wipe-outs. The ol' bod sure feels it now.

That was actually my 2nd bike. The first was a 4-stoke Triumph Trailblazer. Pretty, but what a dog. Street and dirt are entirely two different animals.

Was thinking Harley and street next but knocked the ol' lady up and decided I better settle down and get serious about a family, so I sold the bike and pretty much quit that foolishness. STUPID. But the kids are happy and successful, that's the main thing, so maybe not that stupid. Worse things coulda happened. Thanks. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts