What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Espresso Machine Rosin?

hash head

I've heard recently scientists used an espresso machine to extract cannabis.. From what I can gather they added propanol to the plant material and then used the espresso machine to extract the active compounds.. I wonder if there is any way to extract cannabinoids and terpenes without adding the propanol and also if there are any usable applications of steam extraction in a configuration like that of an espresso machine where the steam can exit the bottom of the extraction chamber (vs normal steam distillation) and if this could allow the heavier cannabinoids to be extracted with the steam..

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Isn't steam extraction how those early essential oil extractions ended up smelling like not much more than hay?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've heard recently scientists used an espresso machine to extract cannabis.. From what I can gather they added propanol to the plant material and then used the espresso machine to extract the active compounds.. I wonder if there is any way to extract cannabinoids and terpenes without adding the propanol and also if there are any usable applications of steam extraction in a configuration like that of an espresso machine where the steam can exit the bottom of the extraction chamber (vs normal steam distillation) and if this could allow the heavier cannabinoids to be extracted with the steam..

Steam extraction works well for the mono and sesquiterpenes, but not longer chain, higher boiling point molecules like the diterpenes and diterpenoids.

This is a really interesting idea. A normal steam distillation wouldn't grab the cannabinoids, but if steam was used to create heat and pressure. Instead of a condenser like a normal distillation setup the steam would come out the bottom of the apparatus. It would grab a lot of water soluble junk with it, but maybe the oils could be separated from the water somehow.

I wouldn't have the know how to make this work, but it's thinking outside of the box like this that led to the discovery of rosin. Heads 20 years ago would have laughed at you for saying hash could be made from squishing buds in a press.