What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greenhouse Glazing

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Anyone have experience with Twinwall Polycarbonate Sheet for a greenhouse? Durability, light transmission, Way to go on a DIY greenhouse?

Speed of green

What’s the climate? Snow? How big is the greenhouse? Is it a permanent structure?

My neighbors have one, I think double wall inflated is warmer in winter.

monsoon

Depending on the shape...Solexx may be an option. You can buy it in rolls. They have 2 different thicknesses.

I have a dome GH...15 mm...5 wall poly. Very strong...but still only R-3. Pretty costly stuff.

Size/shape etc. may help folks help you figure it out. A kit may also be something to look into.

Good luck.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've heard nothing but raves from folks that use quality double walled poly glazing.

I've been considering that stuff but it is expensive.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
in your hurricane/storm zone use cheaper plastic that you can easily take down when you've cropped and put back up in the spring after snow has quit.

some frame designs are easy to take down for the winter also, you need a building permit for one in your town?

a greenhouse designed for wind and snow loads where you are would cost a bundle but you could grow year around if it had all the gear. $$$

picture.php

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
They require a permit for a shed over 10x12. Many people put two sheds side by side to get around it. For a greenhouse, having two sections could be a bonus down the road. No engineering required.

The greenhouse in your pic is a jewell. Convective cooling, passive solar and 1/3 in ground. Looks like the UK. Year round isn't in the plan, but maybe down the road two grows is. Initially light dep will be on the list to finish earlier.

the_niño

yes, used the twin wall polycarbonate sheets on the end walls of a greenhouse i built this year in MA... plastic poly over the top that is inflated with a blower fan.
the twin wall polycarb sheets are great for the endwalls sturdy and gives added protection... only reason i wouldn't cover whole house in them is the price, the plastic is way cheaper..

CrushnYuba

I second what the nino says. Twin wall is great for end walls. It's good as a primary glazing also but doesn't work on curves. Standard twin wall is about a 1.6 r value. Double layer poly is a 1.6 also at a fraction of the price and MUCH MUCH easier to install.
It's not that the twin wall polycarbonate is expensive on its own but the hardware to mount it its much more complicated and expensive then you think. H channels to fasten them, peak connectors to join at the joins. It needs to be foil taped to stop moisture from getting in. It doesn't work on steel hoop shapes. You will have to build out of pressure treated lumber or steel that has angles instead of curves. Not as easy and cost effective as it seems.