What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Icing Flowering Plants Before Harvest

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I'm a part of a growers group on facebook and this person posted the picture below and claims he ices his plants a few days prior to harvest because they sense the winter season and in turn produce more trichomes.. I never heard of this technique so I'm highly skeptical, has anybody heard of this method or tried it?

picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Mmmmm... Beeer! lol

You'll find a lot of stuff on the internet. What you'll eventually come to understand (sooner or later) is MOST of the information about cannabis was created by people's observations. The downside is, most people are not growing in an optimal environment, so many, many, MANY things will seem to make improvements when overall they don't. When those techniques are used in grows with superior environmental controls, they don't make a spit bit of difference except sucking up expensive man hours and other resources.

That being said, it won't hurt the plants and the extra water from the ice might help with a wee bit more of a flush. ;)

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Ice isn't going to help those plants. Guys growing popcorn.

It is common to drop the temps the last week or two of flower to densen up the flowers and encourage the plant to ripen. I don't see how a day or two of ice can help anything. Not enough time for a plant to do much.

But hey, maybe his plants suck so bad it doesn't matter. My guess is they benefit from the ice melting and getting watered lol

Dude seems so defensive. Like if you don't use ice you don't know what you are doing. Tell him to come on here and see how far he gets with that attitude lmao

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
It doesn't make sense to me unless it's something that's indica specific. Sativas wouldn't even get snow like that probably.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A lot wrong with that method... 1st being Nobody's tricking the plant into thinking winter is coming. AS IF!!! Dude obviously doesn't understand that seasons are determined by phytochrome production.

Also, in nature the last thing to freeze would be the roots and the ground so dude is going about his "theory" (for lack of better words) in a backwards manner. How the hell does freezing roots signal winter when canopy temps are 87 degrees HOT???

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Anyone who's been growing for years has had thoughts like this, which are then discounted by additional personal experience. Or, as MJPassion noted, research into the actual cause. :)

MrBungle

I've seen the trick where you water your orchids with ice cubes, but pot?

I'm sure Cervantes would be all over this if it were true...

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Seems like a waste of ice to me...

It could be better used to chill down a glass of rum and coke...

insomniac_AU

Seems like a waste of ice to me...

It could be better used to chill down a glass of rum and coke...
25 years ago someone told me that I should put the roots in boiling water and sugar before harvest... I never tried any of these old wives tales. In my experience Cannabis will still produce not because of what people do but despite what they do.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I have a friend I have been helping. He's a lot slow on the green thumb. I told him that the last two days he needs to dump ice in the pots and sent him that pic. He said, that is the dumbest thing I ever heard and I'm not doing that.

LMFAO even a complete NOOB balked at such a suggestion. I can't stop chuckling...

CaStoner

What about the stick in the main stem? I remember way back in the 70's yes I was growing weed back then dirt farmer. I found an old small paperback booklet on how to grow Marijuana and it show the stick in the main stem and also said to raised the dirt level around the main stalk so additional roots will spring from the sides..I followed it back then in those days didn't know shit..I think this guy had the same booklet..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0dSw_jS_Y

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've seen the trick where you water your orchids with ice cubes, but pot?

I'm sure Cervantes would be all over this if it were true...

The thing with watering orchid with ice is because they're requirements are so low and the fact that their root systems are not designed to be submerged in water OR soil.

I believe the term is epiphyte...

HHILL

Maybe they guy is just trying to get a head start on the fresh frozen whole plant extract method? Lol

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nothing wrong with generating more roots!
They only help the plant to uptake more of what it wants.
How could it hurt unless you accidentally forced stem rot?

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didn't think it would work, i actually balked when i seen this picture and his holier than thou replies.. Posted this so people would get a good laugh.