What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trying to find a true "skunk" smelling strain?

Harpo

honestly, i was a kid when i first smelt the RKS (road kill skunk). the closest thing i can find is a pungent sour diesel.
We had some back in the early 80's. Drove to California to get it and back to the midwest.
You could smell it as soon as you entered the house. Smelled like someone just stepped in fresh dog shit.
Good Sour D. is very close.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I am trying to get some Goji OG seeds. I heard the Nepalese pheno reeks. So need to make f2's and pheno hunt.

I had RKS in 1990. People were scared to grow it. And so the stinky strains faded.

I have some breeding plans to hunt down real skunk odor.

mushroombrew

Veteran
And for those that say Sour D is close to RKS. Maybe 10% of the way there thats it.

RKS is ferociously loud. And I got the best Sour D cut I have grown or smoked...

Drewsif

I would be happy just to find anything skunky from seed.. Lemony doesn't count. Growing in neemcake doesn't cut it. The last I can remember is some Blueberry and assorted "Kushes", from the Bay of course.

Someone related skunk to dog shit? Well that's a major problem with breeding over the internet lol, some peoples noses only have 2 or 3 categories rather than thousands..

In England, there are no skunks. Rotten meat and umami strains are called skunky because of the term RKS. (a dead fox is not what we're talking about here..Englanders) But to me, dead skunks usually have that rubber/plastic smell which to me is a whole different set of weed smells all together. Dead skunk and skunk cabbage could be 2 distinct strains imo.

The "super skunk" i remember in brick form from SoCal had a slightly sweet smell,just enough to make you think "i wanna eat this", no rubber or pesticide smells at all. But nothing fruity or lemony either.. I've smelt it on the streets and pulled an immediate turn, only to find it long gone. That perfect "edible skunk ass" smell..

I like the burnout rubber smell too, but a lot of times it reminds me of pesticides and perm hairdos more than weed..

Last edited:

mushroombrew

Veteran
I would be happy just to find anything skunky from seed.. Lemony doesn't count. Growing in neemcake doesn't cut it. The last I can remember is some Blueberry and assorted "Kushes", from the Bay of course.

Someone related skunk to dog shit? Well that's a major problem with breeding, some peoples noses only have 2 or 3 categories rather than thousands..

In England, there are no skunks. Rotten meat strains are called skunky because of the term RKS. (a dead fox is not what we're talking about here..Englanders) But to me, dead skunks usually have that rubber/plastic smell which to me is a whole different set of weed smells all together. Dead skunk and skunk cabbage could be 2 distinct strains imo.

The "super skunk" i remember in brick form from SoCal had a slightly sweet smell,just enough to make you think "i wanna eat this", no rubber or pesticide smells at all. But nothing fruity or lemony either.. I've smelt it on the streets and pulled an immediate turn, only to find it long gone. That perfect "edible skunk" smell..

I like the burnout rubber smell too, but a lot of times it reminds me of pesticides and perm hairdos more than weed..

Greenpoint seeds Dynamite diesel looks promising if you need something available now. Or hunt for Goji OG seeds.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Wardrobe. And foil. Mylar was a thing of the future in '90. And I had to mix my own hydro nutes! Guys got it so easy now...

soundman

Wardrobe. And foil. Mylar was a thing of the future in '90. And I had to mix my own hydro nutes! Guys got it so easy now...

I remember switching to Mylar from white styrofoam or painted plywood. 1990 was the year I got my first MH/HPS lights. Feared the green merchant list. Those were the days.

Remember the Phototron? Strange attempts at grow lights back then.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I remember switching to Mylar from white styrofoam or painted plywood. 1990 was the year I got my first MH/HPS lights. Feared the green merchant list. Those were the days.

Remember the Phototron? Strange attempts at grow lights back then.

You mean the cabinet type thing? If so then yes I do. No money for gadgets back then.

That's funny I got started that same year. The grow pictured was just warm white fluorescent. Still got 8 oz off three 2ft plants. And reeked up the whole damn neighborhood. Not exaggerating at all. Talk about paranoid.

And that was the apartment where I had an entire 400l reservoir leak...on the third floor. Haha now those were the days for sure!!

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
The "super skunk" i remember in brick form from SoCal had a slightly sweet smell,just enough to make you think "i wanna eat this", no rubber or pesticide smells at all. But nothing fruity or lemony either.. I've smelt it on the streets and pulled an immediate turn, only to find it long gone. That perfect "edible skunk ass" smell..

If you really like the "sweet edible skunk" smell look into sweet island skunk seeds. It had the pungent loud intense aroma as well when i had it.

The sweet skunk comes from the more sativa leaning skunk crosses, and the more roadkill skunk comes from the afghan indica leaning side from what i understand.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
The critical line is an afghan dominant cross of skunk and afghani.

Follow the afghani to find the skunk lol.

The critical line is an afghan dominant cross of skunk and afghani.

Follow the afghani to find the skunk lol.
Yes it is Critical mass x an OG Kush. Critical mass is an Afghani x Skunk 1 so this strain has skunk written all over it and the proof is in the smelling. :)

mushroombrew

Veteran
Yeah but cheese is so far from rks. Just shows you how unstable skunk#1 was. Well F2's were. I just dont think any remaining skunk genetics have what we seek.
Hence my moving towards goji and daywrecker OG.
I grew several skunks in 2000. Even then all the stank was gone. Super skunk which is afghani x skunk was even sweet. Been a dissapointing road since.
So I am switching it up and will use any variety for breeding so long as it is pungent.
I want to breed the loudest strain on earth. Not focusing on potency right away. That will come later.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
My skunkiest result has been from Classic Seeds Hawaiian Berry. Got one that's skunky, like open the film canister, WOW SKUNK!

mushroombrew

Veteran
Yeah theres lots of skunk #1 in the cross. So I would expect some stank.

With RKS in a closed film canister, inside a ziplock and in the glove box of your locked car
you would be outside of the vehicle and be like "wow skunk!"

Man I miss that stanky funk!!

Ekot

Yes it is Critical mass x an OG Kush. Critical mass is an Afghani x Skunk 1 so this strain has skunk written all over it and the proof is in the smelling. :)

I had critical mass before. Wasnt anywhere close either. Or if you mean Critial Mass X.

I saw someone mentioned about Cheese. I say closer but thats not it. Honestly. Every dispensary that I asked about skunk. They either dodged the question or look at me funny. Like telling me ' Dude, I am only 20 years old! And you are asking me about strains from 30 years ago...'