What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jacks Professional

Ymir

The magnesium level is not double on Guaranteed Analysis every thing is 1:1 same goes for Jacks Hydroponic.

View Image

As somebody who literally owns both, I can tell you the label says 3% on Peters and 6% on JRPeters. That analysis he posted shows Peters as having 6%, which is absolutely not true.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Which is why I can understand why some people add Epsom salt, it already has a shit ton Mg in it. I think veg bloom clocks in at like 2% Mg.

Ymir

I've Googled and also found sheets showing 6% Magnesium. They must've updated their recipe so I apologize.

The classic "3-2-1" recipe came from the original Peters 5-11-26 because of the 3% magnesium. That well known recipe has been spread even after JRPeters doubled the magnesium, there are threads around with people suggesting not to use a full gram per the old recipe due to this.

I refer you to this which shows the 3% magnesium (Actually 3.1%, sorry :p). They are either still selling the old recipe or they haven't updated their product sheet either:

https://www.customhydronutrients.com/51126-hydroponic-special-c-1_43_120_40.html

I've Googled and also found sheets showing 6% Magnesium. They must've updated their recipe so I apologize.

The classic "3-2-1" recipe came from the original Peters 5-11-26 because of the 3% magnesium. That well known recipe has been spread even after JRPeters doubled the magnesium, there are threads around with people suggesting not to use a full gram per the old recipe due to this.

I refer you to this which shows the 3% magnesium (Actually 3.1%, sorry :p). They are either still selling the old recipe or they haven't updated their product sheet either:

https://www.customhydronutrients.com/51126-hydroponic-special-c-1_43_120_40.html

Ymir no need to apologize really :thank you: though.

I'm very serious about Agriculture and if there was something wrong with a product label i would want to know.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran

Well that makes sense. I always wondered why people would suggest adding more Mg when it clearly didn't need it.

epicseeds

Hey guys, going to start a person 4x8 test and still have Hydro-Sol 5-11-26, Greenhouse GradeCalcium Nitrate/ and some epsom salt.

I never ran the 3-2-1 ratio I will have to track down my old notes but It was as close as I could get to my favorite user here YosemiteSam.

Speaking of YosemiteSam - does anyone know if he posts anywhere else now?

Absolem

Hey guys, going to start a person 4x8 test and still have Hydro-Sol 5-11-26, Greenhouse GradeCalcium Nitrate/ and some epsom salt.

I never ran the 3-2-1 ratio I will have to track down my old notes but It was as close as I could get to my favorite user here YosemiteSam.

Speaking of YosemiteSam - does anyone know if he posts anywhere else now?

I think this is the thread you are looking for or anyone else looking how to grow correctly and on the cheap in coco coir.
Just follow what YosemiteSam says.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=231574&page=4

YosemiteSam laid down some solid advice here. His posts were super informative.

Cheers

pinkus

Veteran
Magnesium lockout due to excess K?

Magnesium lockout due to excess K?

Hey y'all, I've been using the Jack's for a few years now and have my first real issue that isn't a quick fix. I'm pretty sure that it's as the header reads, Mag lockout due to excessive K. My "plan" is to drain the res, start fresh.

Any Jacks old hands have better advice?

Thanks y'all. :bandit:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Just started using Jacks 321,
Was wondering if yall aerate your reservoirs with it?
The first week was cool, then I read that jacks recommends aerating. So I put air stones in all my reservoirs.
Next day, ph has jumped up pretty high, and the rez is now cloudy. Maybe Im giving too much?
Any suggestions appreciated...

BillFarthing

Veteran
Just started using Jacks 321,
Was wondering if yall aerate your reservoirs with it?
The first week was cool, then I read that jacks recommends aerating. So I put air stones in all my reservoirs.
Next day, ph has jumped up pretty high, and the rez is now cloudy. Maybe Im giving too much?
Any suggestions appreciated...

Use a water pump to stir the water, not an air stone.

JJ Lowe

We use a inline filter and run the cheap rain bird 2 gal/hr and replace every 2 runs and haven’t had a problem in years.

1 line per 2 gal pot.

Found a couple different formulas for jacks and calnit (+/- epsom and mkp). Would love to hear other users’ opinions. Please correct me if any of the following is wrong.

321- 3 grams Jacks 5-12-26, 2 grams cal nit, 1 gram epsom salt (I believe this is an old formula from a time when jacks 5-12-26 contained less magnesium? Can anyone confirm this?) edit.. seems 3.6-2.4-1.2 is the most common rendition of this.

3:2- same as above without the epsom salt. By weight 1 part jacks 5-12-26 to .67 part calnit. By volume 1:1. I believe this is what is recommended by Jacks at the present time.

Here is the one I’m going to try with RO water (per Ibechillin/eric2028):

Veg & stretch: 3 grams jacks 5-12-26, 3.32 grams calnit

Bloom: 3 grams jacks 5-12-26, 2.5 grams calnit and .5 grams monopotassium phosphate

Last edited:

BillFarthing

Veteran
@bill farthing you seen or heard of these guys ? Looks like jacks but a tad cheaper?

https://hpnutrients.com/soluble-concentrate/

Wow, I haven't seen these guys before. I usually try to stay on top of that.

Their bases look fabulous for the growers with soft water for the price. For commercial use, JR Peters does consulting and makes blends based on water testing, so I think there is still a huge difference between the two companies. Overall, this is positive and I'm glad to see the market moving away from the hydroponics store mentality.

Lyfespan

pulled trigger on jacks RO, bloom and finish. will be running in coco, have boost(calnit) on hand just in case cocos CEC issue tries any shit

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Anyone using Jack's finish 7-15-30 in the late flower?

They market it as a low N, late flower formula with zero calcium, but then recommend adding CalNit which sort of negates using a low N formula.

BillFarthing

Veteran
There's no zinc in their 5-12-26, which is bizarre. Something to watch out for if you try to sub it in directly for Jack's. They are putting the Zn in with the Early Bud 6-30-30 etc.; things you probably don't need in the first place.

The label is a guaranteed minimum. A lot of times they will omit certain things to prevent reverse engineering. It happens with GH products like MaxiGro. I guarantee you that zinc is in Jacks.