What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best source of Potassium Silicate??

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
once again... great info.. only good products should be in people's cabinets.. and the company making a good product should get the $

---

did grotek water down there product? as I see there old bottles say 3.8 and the new ones say 3. but I do know on a nutrient label I don't think you have to declare the .00 of a NPK, wondering if they watered down there product or not.. link to data sheet

---

"After uptaken silicon is deposited in plant infrastructure it stays immobile, so a continual source of Si must be provided to enrich new plant growth. "

---

from William Texier:

"Silicate

In order for an element to be considered indispensable to a plant, there has to be evidence of a deficiency in the plant caused by the absence of the element. With modern hydroponics it became possible to create deficiencies in a plant's nutrition by isolating one element or another. This is how a list of mineral salts essential to various plants' lives was established. This test was never carried out on silica though, essentially because it is such an abundant element in soil that it is difficult to create an environment without it. However, there are strong indications that silica is actually an essential element. In any case, it has a number of functions in plants: in solution, it is absorbed by the plant in the form of silicic acid, which penetrates the cells and strengthens their structure. This means plants are more resistant to insects, which find it difficult to pierce the cell walls and tend instead to go for plants that are easier to attack. But silica has other advantages too: in the nutritive solution it helps to stabilize the pH, and also protects the roots from pathogenic fungi such as Pythium and Fusarium by killing their spores on contact. Silica can be found in either liquid or powder form. As a liquid it comes in the form of potassium silicate, which is generally an effective way of providing silica, although limited by the poor solubility of potassium silicate in the levels of pH used in nutritive solutions. As a powder it comes in silica clay, which is very rich in silicate and contains a number of useful trace elements. This clay can be used externally in powdered form on foliage applications or around the root to prevent a fungal attack, or internally, in the nutritive solution, to be absorbed by the plant. Adding silica does not provide a spectacular result because it is, after all, a preventive substance. However, an informed cultivator will quickly realize that with a silica additive his plants are healthier than usual, more pest and disease resistant and have a more stable pH."

---

article on to much silica ( but they used high amounts.. ): here

---

this actually got me very excited, and have been looking at many different companies and there silica products..

nutrilife pro guard
flairform silika majic
cyco silica
green air liquid sand
potsil

alot more to come tomorrow, tired

Last edited:

UsualSuspect

Veteran
If you can still find some AN's Barricade is %100 potassium silicate. It has been discontinued by AN but check around you can find some.

Epiphyte

Good Info so far....this is the product along with lactobacillus that I have been meaning to incorporate into my feeding regiment.

I have one question in regards to Habeeb's last post....

Does potassium silicate act as a fungicide and destroy harmful fungi as well as beneficial fungi?
Phyte

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I recently bought the Dyna-Gro Pro-Tekt and I've been feeding it to my plants for the last two waterings. They had the Growtek Pro Silicate right next to it for about $2 cheaper, but after reading this thread, I knew which to buy. Thanks, homie!

Good Info so far....this is the product along with lactobacillus that I have been meaning to incorporate into my feeding regiment.

I have one question in regards to Habeeb's last post....

Does potassium silicate act as a fungicide and destroy harmful fungi as well as beneficial fungi?
Phyte

I'm pretty sure silica only helps build the plants own natural resistance to harmful invasive microbes, and doesn't kill any microbes on it's own, be they harmful or beneficial. So it should be 100% compatible with beneficial microbes, as I believe they don't penetrate the plant like bad microbes, but live in symbiosis on the roots surfaces.

toohighmf

Veteran
If Barricade was 100% it would be powder. however it was over 50% like the yellow bottle. I use silica as PH up. it does a few jobs in one and very effective.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
There's a company on eBay selling "Potassium Silicate Powder 0-0-50" at 10 pounds for $200.

Anybody have any experience with powdered potassium silicate?

bigshrimp

Veteran
AgSil 16H Potassium silicate, 32% K2O 52.8% SiO2, 50 pound bag
$150.00

This is a 1.6 weight ratio hydrous potassium silicate powder with 32% K20 and 52.8% SiO2 and 14.8% H2O.

7 grams in one gallon of water yeilds 98ppm SiO2 or 46ppm Si, and 49ppm K

https://customhydronutrients.com

I'll be ordering some of this when my pro-tekt runs out.

Latest posts

Latest posts